NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Network Solutions and Register.com Slot .Co Second

Source: DomainNameWire.com

•••
.Com will never lose it's edge but time's a changing, brothers and sisters. Everyone is looking for the latest thing that will help them with their productivity. If that means we are going to use .co and drop the m at school. Then let's get er done!

There needs to be a solid idea in how to approach individuals in regards to these names so that it doesn't feel like a flop. I know I have had minor success in helping others sell their name but when it comes to my name, I may as well go bury my head in the sand.

Why I believe people are so on the fence on .co is because it's not recognized and nobody wants to buy the unknown so it makes it hard to sell. We all have to start somewhere, right? I mean, dot com went through the same issue when it first came out.

.co is very lucrative as I have said in my earlier posts. It offers the opportunity to start fresh and clean slated.

Good times a rollin in a new patch of dirt is what I say!

.co speed!

•••
Why I believe people are so on the fence on .co is because it's not recognized and nobody wants to buy the unknown

.co speed!

I think this is a very good point. Ignorance doesn't last forever. No new extension will become ubiquitous overnight. It hasn't even been half a year! We won't be having this conversation same time next year...I hope.

LLL.CO holders should check out acronymgeek.com to check out who their potential end user customers are. I just found it and it's very comprehensive. :santa:

•••
I think this is a very good point. Ignorance doesn't last forever. No new extension will become ubiquitous overnight. It hasn't even been half a year! We won't be having this conversation same time next year...I hope.

LLL.CO holders should check out acronymgeek.com to check out who their potential end user customers are. I just found it and it's very comprehensive. :santa:

That's right. Nothing can become ubiquitous overnight.However, with viral marketing, it's hard to say exactly a time frame. But let's say things move JUST A LITTLE faster than they did 15 years ago. :D

•••
That's right. Nothing can become ubiquitous overnight.However, with viral marketing, it's hard to say exactly a time frame. But let's say things move JUST A LITTLE faster than they did 15 years ago. :D

This is what I believe and I stand by this.. Those that are wanting to gain a helluva lot on Super Bowl Sunday (Notice how I capitalized the beginning?) That is a MONUMENTAL day in the year, people talk about commercials for MONTHS sometimes. Superbowl commercials are going to be available for viewing for months. Hell, I remember when last year with the doritos commercial. Where the little black smack the sh*t out of the guy because he touched the kids' doritos. Yeah, go look it up. Look at it's views..

This is what I suggest.. You guys ready for this? You want great sales, and you want to be on top of the game? You take your names, get on the phone, broadcast just like the Godaddy bit*hes are doing. Be all around it like fruit flies.

Everyone who is not drunk or suffering alcohol poisoning is hopefully paying attention and apparently Bob or Bill doesn't let campaigns flop and he obviously is a trend setter because of the hot bimbos he has around him. So whats the issue. You guys will be set, just strategize and angle baby!

•••
Making a broad generalization is always a mistake.

It certainly is,again-Caveat Emptor.

And I quite like .co and have a few but there are many guys here banking their house on a new hype that is not what it is sold as.

All power to the .co management,they threw out the bait and hooked a lot of fish.

•••

And I quite like .co and have a few but there are many guys here banking their house on a new hype that is not what it is sold as.

It is two letters at the end of a url that people are buying. That's it! Just a C and an O. You are not buying freaking Colombia! It is being sold exactly as what it is....two letters....two very useful and appealing letters. It is being managed by a great Colombian team. Why is this a problem? It is an unrestricted international domain and is being sold as such. Anyone in the world can register a .co and people like it...except failed domainers who were unable to see it's value and hate nothing more than other peoples' success. Merry Christmas or whatever :santa:

•••
It is two letters at the end of a url that people are buying. That's it! Just a C and an O. You are not buying freaking Colombia! It is being sold exactly as what it is....two letters....two very useful and appealing letters. It is being managed by a great Colombian team. Why is this a problem? It is an unrestricted international domain and is being sold as such. Anyone in the world can register a .co and people like it...except failed domainers who were unable to see it's value and hate nothing more than other peoples' success. Merry Christmas or whatever :santa:

I'm so sorry, I really thought it was the cctld extension for Colombia,silly me-thank you for the clarification for a failed domainer. :bah:

•••

Ditto ctbon! :)

•••
I'm so sorry, I really thought it was the cctld extension for Colombia,silly me-thank you for the clarification for a failed domainer. :bah:

You can put it in whatever neat little box works for you. You can run around pulling your hair out and screaming at everyone in the world "IT'S THE CCTLD FOR COLOMBIA, PEOPLE!!!! ARE YOU CRAZY!?!" Maybe if you bought a Superbowl commercial you could use that to try to convince people.

•••
I say GO .CO!! Work it peeps!

•••
You can put it in whatever neat little box works for you. You can run around pulling your hair out and screaming at everyone in the world "IT'S THE CCTLD FOR COLOMBIA, PEOPLE!!!! ARE YOU CRAZY!?!" Maybe if you bought a Superbowl commercial you could use that to try to convince people.

Do you really have to shout it is very rude.

I simply called it what it is,a cctld being sold as something else,if you don't like it is your problem, sorry for having an opinion.

I have some very nice .co but I know exactly what they are.

•••
I think Snoop just burst a blood vessel.

Certainly they are some of the worst names I have seen in 6 months or more. To marry up 3d and solar junk with .co, yes I am having seizures.

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

There is nobody to convince aside from some tech people because they are the only people who know of this extension outside of Republic of Colombia.

Anyone would think this extension is popular from the way some post.

•••
Okay.. Who wants to tell me something? Raise your hands! I am looking at selling my .co. I have it on Afternic at the beautiful BIN of 15,000!!! WEEEEEE!!!!!!

I hate this big freaking gingerbread cookie that has skyrocketed my sugar level to an all time high aside from the time when I was 16 and I hate 14 snicker bars because I thought Mt Dew would over ride my system, boy was I in for it.

•••
Not quite sure if there was an actual question in there, but depending on the name I would think SEDO or AfterNic are good places to list names for sale. Listing at GoDaddy, SnapNames, and the like, etc; would also help. Additionally, you can beat the internet pavement looking for end users. Must be quite a rare .CO given your asking price. Care to share the name? All the best.

Okay.. Who wants to tell me something? Raise your hands! I am looking at selling my .co. I have it on Afternic at the beautiful BIN of 15,000!!! WEEEEEE!!!!!!

I hate this big freaking gingerbread cookie that has skyrocketed my sugar level to an all time high aside from the time when I was 16 and I hate 14 snicker bars because I thought Mt Dew would over ride my system, boy was I in for it.

-Regards

•••
Not quite sure if there was an actual question in there, but depending on the name I would think SEDO or AfterNic are good places to list names for sale. Listing at GoDaddy, SnapNames, and the like, etc; would also help. Additionally, you can beat the internet pavement looking for end users. Must be quite a rare .CO given your asking price. Care to share the name? All the best.

-Regards

I have it listed at Afternic and I won't do Sedo, but I dunno about Godaddy.. the people I have chatted with as far as end users are interesting people. I like them. The name I have is in my signature with a site on it.

•••
No new extension will become ubiquitous overnight. It hasn't even been half a year!
It's always the same tune, give it some time, give it more time... renew for a year and wait, then another... waste money on regs, waste further money on renewals... eventually the majority of speculators in alternate extensions let their names drop because they can't afford to wait forever to make a return that may never materialize.

Usually domainers don't have a 5- or 10-year investment horizon, they need revenue to sustain their portfolios.

I don't always agree with Snoop but he's 100% right in saying it's important to be making money today and not after tomorrow. Hoping for the best seldom works as a business strategy.

We won't be having this conversation same time next year...I hope.
Within a year I would expect we won't have conversation at all because this thread will have died out like the others (check out the .asia .mobi .tel .eu etc threads).

•••
...this thread will have died out like the others (check out the .asia .mobi .tel .eu etc threads).

This is very true. I checked those threads looong time already... and this thread is following the very same pattern as those other threads.

The signs:
1. At the beginning-"good keywords" are regged, later on "bad keywords" are regged.

2. The "good keywords" get sold for below the valuations given by the pro-extension-domainer; some even sell at below reg fee. This is happening in dot co too.

3. Timing of posts are very close at the beginning, and start to gain hours in between posts as the thread grows at a slow pace-even days, weeks, months in between posts... We can see this same trend with .co... check it out!!

4. Fanboys in all the threads end up saying years later that .xx is heavily undervalued.. and then other extension fanboys tell them, that their investments are crap... e.g. .co owners are saying .tv is not as great as .co-check the threads out if you don't believe me.

5. All of the extensions were supposedly GREAT COMPETITION for .COM!! hmmm....

6. The investors begin to question their investment, and come back to the sad reality that the experienced domainers (who the pro-.xx owners called ".xx haters") were correct, and they end up having realistic debates with these people of the viability of the extension(people that they labeled as "jealous" or "haters")... then do they only give in to reason...

Then only-do they finally realize the error of their ways!!

Pro-dot-co boys and girls-Do yourself a favor, read the other threads.... or are you going to say that "those extensions are crap"... I am sure a fanboy or two from those threads will have something to say about .co.

One can't have a proper debate here-people use opinions as facts, and the dismiss facts being presented before them- claiming they are myths.

I have .co domains-but I am realistic. In fact-if I had to post my .co domains here, I am sure a pro-dot-co valuation expert would tell me I could easily get high $x,xxx- low $xx,xxx for each and every one of my dot co's! (Because I saw valuations here for mediocre and bad names-and that would just make my .co domains much better. Yes-they were pre-orders from Landrush. But I know the real value-I am realistic.

Nubiano :wave:

Last edited:
•••
I agree with Nubiano. We all are proud of our .CO acquisitions but we have to be careful and realistic about them. As an investor, obviously I'm confident in this TLD and I'm sure it is a better candidate than previous ccTLD's (.me, .mobi, etc.) to become accepted worldwide, but only time can tell how it will evolve. For the same reason, being sure that it won't have any success is pointless.

•••
This is very true. I checked those threads looong time already... and this thread is following the very same pattern as those other threads.

The signs:
1. At the beginning-"good keywords" are regged, later on "bad keywords" are regged.

2. The "good keywords" get sold for below the valuations given by the pro-extension-domainer; some even sell at below reg fee. This is happening in dot co too.

3. Timing of posts are very close at the beginning, and start to gain hours in between posts as the thread grows at a slow pace-even days, weeks, months in between posts... We can see this same trend with .co... check it out!!

4. Fanboys in all the threads end up saying years later that .xx is heavily undervalued.. and then other extension fanboys tell them, that their investments are crap... e.g. .co owners are saying .tv is not as great as .co-check the threads out if you don't believe me.

5. All of the extensions were supposedly GREAT COMPETITION for .COM!! hmmm....

6. The investors begin to question their investment, and come back to the sad reality that the experienced domainers (who the pro-.xx owners called ".xx haters") were correct, and they end up having realistic debates with these people of the viability of the extension(people that they labeled as "jealous" or "haters")... then do they only give in to reason...

Then only-do they finally realize the error of their ways!!

Pro-dot-co boys and girls-Do yourself a favor, read the other threads.... or are you going to say that "those extensions are crap"... I am sure a fanboy or two from those threads will have something to say about .co.

One can't have a proper debate here-people use opinions as facts, and the dismiss facts being presented before them- claiming they are myths.

I have .co domains-but I am realistic. In fact-if I had to post my .co domains here, I am sure a pro-dot-co valuation expert would tell me I could easily get high $x,xxx- low $xx,xxx for each and every one of my dot co's! (Because I saw valuations here for mediocre and bad names-and that would just make my .co domains much better. Yes-they were pre-orders from Landrush. But I know the real value-I am realistic.

Nubiano :wave:

Birds of a feather flock together...and how the mudslinging becomes a bad habit. If y'all thing you have coralled "reality", think again. All the arguments i hear are so specious it's hard to read.

Hair-splitting (ie going back to old threads, scrutinizing insignificant details and looking to those as pointers for the future) is such a waste of time. Yesterday was yesterday and today is today. I would hate to see if you ever had a failed business what you would do if you wanted to start a new business. You wouldn't because the failure in the past, according to your logic, would necessiate future failure. Therefore, don't try any new business after your first has failed. How absurd.

If y'all want to keep comparing extensions, that's your prerogative. But mind this: the focus here is on the company .co and anyone who sees that doesn't really care about "past threads". What an aweful waste of time combing through old threads. Ever occur to you that other past extensions had poor management? Had poor infrastructure? Had poor management? Had poor advertising? Had poor staff? Had poor cashflow? Had poor market share? The list goes on and on why companies fail. Where can one even begin to compare? And why should you? Maybe if a person is a bit of a Fraidy Cat. He/she will always go looking to the past to help them cope with the fear of the present and future. This stae of affairs breeds a sterile economy.

Any one here criticizing .co supporters, I would love to hear your first hand experience with your own start-up business venture, which .co is. Only firsthand please, not armchair quarterbacking. There is a truckload of glibness being flung about here.

Nubiano, take a look at any chart of any new, start-up company. There is always a rise in a hype face and then the line comes down and plateaus. At some point this will happen with .co. The only question will be where that plateau will be. That plateau, if the company is successful, will be followed by a steady rise. This whole phase thing is not revolutionary. And as a matter of fact, reason has nothing to do with it. It's just the course of a new business.

As far as appraisals are concerned, it's a fairly easy thing. There already have been many
.co sales and rough estimates of the prices for .co have been made (see Michael Mann). Essentially we are talking about abstract prices and the need for a market maker, much like in stock trading. We will see in the next few months how valuable this .co "stock" is and what the Market Makers (like Michael Mann) deem the prices to be. The trickle-down affect will follow.

Last point, please don't compare "experienced domainers" ie default .com coat-tailers, with free enterprise entrepreneurs. The latter requires a totally different mindset from the former.

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 AM ----------

I agree with Nubiano. We all are proud of our .CO acquisitions but we have to be careful and realistic about them. As an investor, obviously I'm confident in this TLD and I'm sure it is a better candidate than previous ccTLD's (.me, .mobi, etc.) to become accepted worldwide, but only time can tell how it will evolve. For the same reason, being sure that it won't have any success is pointless.

I'd say that's a pretty sober perspective. If anyone ever thought there was something "guaranteed" in this, I would question their thinking. But that having been said, the success of anything depends on fortitude, and I often get the feeling
that the typical Fraidy cats come out in droves to attempt to quash something that may threaten them, in some way. It's to this type of mudslinging I speak against, not to rational thought.

The hype phase is a necessary evil in every start-up. Hopefully, people realize this and are not naive to believe that there will be $1,000,000 sales everyday. That's a kind of dreaming that doesn't benefit anyone in the long-term. At the end of the day, all requires hard work.

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 AM ----------

Certainly they are some of the worst names I have seen in 6 months or more. To marry up 3d and solar junk with .co, yes I am having seizures.

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

There is nobody to convince aside from some tech people because they are the only people who know of this extension outside of Republic of Colombia.

Anyone would think this extension is popular from the way some post.

Relatively, speaking, it IS popular! Man, it's only been out for 5 months, has 620,000 regs and has some great auctions and a SuperBowl commercial on the horizon. Are you kidding me? Comparing to .com again? Give me a break. How is your start-up company going, by the way?

I know you are being facetious about colombia :bah:-, but the way a person dwells on something like a "Colombia" factor might lead one to think of words like bigotry.

---------- Post added at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 AM ----------

All power to the .co management,they threw out the bait and hooked a lot of fish.

What fool has banked their house on it? that's a bit of an overstatement, IMO. I really don't know anyone who did that. Even if you reg'd 100 .co's. that's $3000. If you didn't have the money to spend, shouldn't have spent it. That says nothing about .co at all. That just speaks to poor money management and uncalculated risk.

---------- Post added at 08:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

It's always the same tune, give it some time, give it more time... renew for a year and wait, then another... waste money on regs, waste further money on renewals... eventually the majority of speculators in alternate extensions let their names drop because they can't afford to wait forever to make a return that may never materialize.

Usually domainers don't have a 5- or 10-year investment horizon, they need revenue to sustain their portfolios.

I don't always agree with Snoop but he's 100% right in saying it's important to be making money today and not after tomorrow. Hoping for the best seldom works as a business strategy.

Within a year I would expect we won't have conversation at all because this thread will have died out like the others (check out the .asia .mobi .tel .eu etc threads).

1. Rome wasn't built in a day and patience is a virtue, in any endeavour.

2. It's not revolutionary that threads "die down". Soon, when .co is more established, it will no longer be a new or hot topic. Thus is the ways of media. The sustainability of the .co company is the point, not whether some thread thrives. Whether a .co thread is active or not will really make little difference at the end of the day. The word BottomLine comes to mind.

•••
Hair-splitting (ie going back to old threads, scrutinizing insignificant details and looking to those as pointers for the future) is such a waste of time. Yesterday was yesterday and today is today.
This is where you are so wrong :bingo:
Just because each extension is 'different' you think it will fare differently and there are no lessons to be drawn from the past.

That's exactly the crux of the matter, not understanding there are certain dynamics in domain names.

It's not without reason that all those extensions fail, because they are just another extension. Nobody cares.

What an aweful waste of
time combing through old threads.
Who said combing through old threads ? I have a good memory and I remember all those threads of 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006.... each time a different extension, each time a different wave of newcomers. All pumping up their beloved extension, I think there is a strong sense of infatuation clouding the better judgment.

The newcomers think they are so smart and they know better.
You're right, ignore the naysayers, they are dinosaurs stuck in their old ways and can't see the light :)

Ever occur to you that other past extensions had poor management? Had poor infrastructure? Had poor management? Had poor advertising? Had poor staff? Had poor cashflow? Had poor market share? The list goes on and on why companies fail.
Two examples come to mind:
.me had good backing from godaddy
.mobi was supposedly backed by top corporations

Tell me how much money there is too be made yet in these extensions.
Who is backing .co other than the registry and godaddy (ie the parties that are actually selling .co domains) ?
Don't be gullible.

•••
You're right, ignore the naysayers, they are dinosaurs stuck in their old ways and can't see the light :)

This happens time and time again with new extensions. New domainers arrive, normally brought in by the hype of a new extension.

Most are not interested in listening to experienced domains as they already know everything.

Many newcomers don't know enough about keywords to understand what drives value, so they think they are sitting on a goldmine.

The truth is - all the top keywords are in the hands of a few owners that were assigned before open registration. These are the keywords that will have value if .CO ever becomes a credible option to end users, not most of the domains the average person in this thread owns.

Who is backing .co other than the registry and godaddy (ie the parties that are actually selling .co domains) ?
Don't be gullible.

Yep, the registry and registrars are pretty much the only ones actually making money right now.

GoDaddy will push whatever someone is willing to buy. However, a bunch of domainers regging mediocre keywords does not add long term reseller value or credibility to an extension. It just means more domains will be dropped later.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
This is where you are so wrong :bingo:
Just because each extension is 'different' you think it will fare differently and there are no lessons to be drawn from the past.

That's exactly the crux of the matter, not understanding there are certain dynamics in domain names.

It's not without reason that all those extensions fail, because they are just another extension. Nobody cares.

Who said combing through old threads ? I have a good memory and I remember all those threads of 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006.... each time a different extension, each time a different wave of newcomers. All pumping up their beloved extension, I think there is a strong sense of infatuation clouding the better judgment.

Don't be gullible.

1. Past is past. Ever heard of that?

2. Whether you comb your brain or the literal thread makes no difference. It's still a waste of time.

3. I'm not a newbie. Probably have more experience in business than many people in this thread.

4. Comin from a source who believes that generic keyword domains are valueless, well....this really says something, doesn't it?

5. I believe there is much overcomplication in what you say.

6. I'm a big boy. Have been for some time. Everything is my risk and my reward. I'm not really into pedantics. Satisfaction levels are quite a bit lower when you are only a pundit. I put my money where my mouth is, period. Making a calculated risk and being gullible are light years apart. Armchair quarterbacks are not for me.

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

This happens time and time again with new extensions. New domainers arrive, normally brought in by the hype of a new extension.

Most are not interested in listening to experienced domains as they already know everything.

Many newcomers don't know enough about keywords to understand what drives value, so they think they are sitting on a goldmine.

The truth is - all the top keywords are in the hands of a few owners that were assigned before open registration. These are the keywords that will have value if .CO ever becomes a credible option to end users, not most of the domains the average person in this thread owns.

Yep, the registry and registrars are pretty much the only ones actually making money right now.

GoDaddy will push whatever someone is willing to buy. However, a bunch of domainers regging mediocre keywords does not add long term reseller value or credibility to an extension. It just means more domains will be dropped later.

Brad

"The Truth is" - Man, if I had a dollar for everytime some guy said that....Truth and opinion are widely different things.

I don't believe you have a crystal ball. You are just resusitating dead corpses, nothing more. There is no way anyone can predict with such accuracy what will come of .co, let alone .com, .net and so forth.

PS Please send me your stock tips. I will also only accept tips from those who have made more than $1000000.

•••
1. Past is past. Ever heard of that?

Have you ever heard of any of these sayings?

"Those Who Forget History Are Doomed to Repeat It"

"The Past is a Good Indicator of the Future"

"History repeats itself"

I am sorry but I don't think .CO supports are quite as revolutionary and innovative as some seem to think they are.

Brad

•••
Have you ever heard of any of these sayings?

"Those Who Forget History Are Doomed to Repeat It"

"The Past is a Good Indicator of the Future"

"History repeats itself"

I am sorry but I don't think .CO supports are quite as revolutionary and innovative as some seem to think they are.

Brad

1. If there was no history, we would have more enterprising people. Case in point. World War two occured. Germans were bad (So history tells us) so therefore future Germans will be bad. Just not true.

2. Sure, when you look at charts. Who could have forseen that gold would reach $1400? The strength of fundamentals can change the course of everything. It can wipe out the past and create the future in a much different way.

3. Absolutely, it CAN repeat itself, but to say this is the case in every situation is wrong. That's just black and white thinking again. IMO, it's a bit lazy to rely on such urban proverbs.

4. There is nothing revolutionary. Never claimed it to be so. Just a supporter of free enterprise and the right to think outside the box.

"Think outside the box". I know this sounds like poison to all the traditionalists.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back