Domain Empire

news Bodis announces ad providers encountering advertiser defaults Q3 2023

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

J.R.

Established Member
Impact
If you are a Bodis PPC client like me, you woke up this morning to a notification that your advertising funds will be cut this quarter. Possibly for the foreseeable future.

Bodis alert of decreasing advertising business 9-14-2023.png

This is the first time I have received such a notice from Bodis and have otherwise been happy with their service and timely payouts. But if corporate advertisers are cutting their budgets, this will quickly trickle down to the rest of us.

At least in the U.S., the economy has been in a technical recession since January or June 2022, depending on how you interpret the public data.

In Q3 2023, the financial data is flashing red alert.

Analysts are reporting the highest number of corporate bankruptcy filings, a peaking credit card bubble and car loan delinquencies are the highest since 2008 Great Recession. Likewise, highest inflation experienced since the 1980s, and so many other common economic indicators are pointing to a serious financial event over the next 6 months.

Insiders like banker Jamie Dimon warn, as reported by CNBC, Dimon said while the current situation of the US economy is good, it would be a “huge mistake" to believe that it will last for years.

In addition, Michael Burry, the famous short seller from The Big Short Great Recession era, placed a large $1.6BN bet against the stock market in August. He is convinced a big stock market crash will occur within a few months.

https://news.sky.com/story/the-big-...rry-bets-1-6bn-on-stock-market-crash-12940826

If you are lower or mid-tier domain investor; it might behoove you to study the macroeconomic reports to determine if you really want to sink the majority of your cash into illiquid domain assets or choose cash.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Hi

this possible deduction affects all ppc providers across the board,
but any clawbacks for most, won't be that much.

got notices from parkingcrew and sedo as well.

imo...

•••
Same thing at sedo:

In line with our steadfast commitment to transparency and professionalism, we are reaching out to inform you of a recent adjustment to your parking earnings. You are undoubtedly aware that our operations depend on upstream providers to supply timely payment reports. These reports, while generally a reliable indicator about eventual parking earnings, may be adjusted due to unforeseen circumstances such as fraudulent transactions, invalid clicks, impressions, or payment defaults from the advertisers. You can visit the ad provider's Help Center which offers a comprehensive overview of their financial protocols.

Regrettably, we have recently learned that our primary upstream ad provider has encountered payment defaults, resulting in reduced earnings for August. Consequently, we are unable to distribute the revenues in the amount originally projected and find it necessary to make an adjustment to your account balance. We want to emphasize that this situation impacts not only you but our entire industry, and that the financial impact is also being absorbed by all other parking partners, the ad provider, and Sedo.

We deeply appreciate your patience, trust and understanding through this situation. Please rest assured that we are diligently working in close collaboration with our ad provider to try and avoid similar unforeseen circumstances in the future.

We regret the potential inconvenience this may cause and want you to know that your Account Manager or our Customer Support Team is available to address any questions or concerns you may have.

Regards,
Your Sedo Team

My clawback was ~20% but in the end the earnings were similar to previous months.

Last edited:
•••
Mine is -$0.65. Since the parking revenue was down more than 60-70% over the summer.

•••
My deduction is around 2.6% on Bodis so nothing significant

•••
Aren't G advertisers required to prepay for their campaigns? If so, how the "defaults" / non-payments are possible?

•••
Aren't G advertisers required to prepay for their campaigns? If so, how the "defaults" / non-payments are possible?

Reading the full notification from Bodis, it doesn't appear that upstream advertisers prepay. But PPC providers like Bodis/Sedo may prepay their customers (domain owners) before they are paid by upstream advertisers.

•••
Well, no big loss anyway lol

•••
I believe some scammers were advertising with stolen cards on a large scale. Google got big deduction.

•••
Hi

interesting to note:

i went back and checked payments at parkingcrew from 2015 to date,
and in that time only had two clawbacks.
also had two bonus payments which almost equaled those deductions.

the latest deduction was only $0.17, however i've noticed epc is down so far this month.

imo...

•••
But PPC providers like Bodis/Sedo may prepay their customers (domain owners) before they are paid by upstream advertisers.

If only. It's certain that PPC providers pay only after they receive cleared funds. However, what's happening here is essentially a reconciliation between what you expect to receive vs. what you end up receiving. It happens all the time but apparently this time it was a sizable difference.

•••
Digital scammers have gotten more aggressive in the last 12 months. Just like GoDaddy has been dealing with issues on their auction platform, online advertising companies have been getting scammed by increasingly clever methods. At this volume we're not talking stolen cards, we're talking fake companies / corporate ID theft.

Last edited:
•••
You better concentrate on sales, as some old domainers were saying, i stopped parking my domains, because as you sell one domain you make more than all parked domains taken together.

•••
You better concentrate on sales, as some old domainers were saying, i stopped parking my domains, because as you sell one domain you make more than all parked domains taken together.
Hi

which "old domainers" said that?

a sale can happen whether a domain is parked with ppc or not,
and
if you are earning some ppc revenue or monetizing it in some way, while waiting for a sale -
then
that's earnings others who don't park while waiting - don't earn.
additionally, the statistics generated from ppc platforms, can provide valuable insight for the owner.

sales can be slow at times and during such periods having some $ come in helps in many ways.

imo....

•••
just in from bodis (emphasis mine):
We are writing to keep you informed about an earnings adjustment for September.

Regrettably, our primary advertising partner has conveyed to us that the consequences of defaulted advertising payments will persist in affecting the payouts scheduled for this month. We’d like to reassure you, however, that we’ve already accounted for the deduction, and it will be reflected in your payment history.

These deductions are attributed to the same causes as the previous month. Our advertising partner has registered instances of payment defaults, which have impeded the distribution of expected revenues.

Regarding October, we’re delighted to share that there are currently no foreseen deductions connected to this specific payment default. Nevertheless, we acknowledge that predicting the future is challenging, and deductions may still arise. Our commitment to transparency and updates remains steadfast.

To gain a detailed insight into how earrings are ultimately determined, we encourage you to refer to our advertising provider’s Help Center.

Should you have any inquiries or need further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to our support team.

Thank you for your understanding.

•••
I also received it this month and last month, does it also happen to you on "parkingcrew" ?

Last edited:
•••
•••

Important Update: Earnings Adjustment for September​

Oct 16, 2023
Hello XxXxX, We are writing to keep you informed about an earnings adjustment for September. Regrettably, our primary advertising partner has conveyed to us that the consequences of defaulted advertising payments will persist in affecting the payouts scheduled for this month. We’d like to reassure you, however, that we’ve already accounted for the deduction, and it will be reflected in your payment history. These deductions are attributed to the same causes as the previous month. Our advertising partner has registered instances of payment defaults, which have impeded the distribution of expected revenues. Regarding October, we’re delighted to share that there are currently no foreseen deductions connected to this specific payment default. Nevertheless, we acknowledge that predicting the future is challenging, and deductions may still arise. Our commitment to transparency and updates remains steadfast. To gain a detailed insight into how earrings are ultimately determined, we encourage you to refer to our advertising provider’s Help Center. Should you have any inquiries or need further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to our support team. Thank you for your understanding.
Just got this one too.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back