Dynadot

poll Are you spending less or more on acquisitions?

NameSilo
Watch

Compared to a year ago, is your total dollar spend on domain acquisitions going up or down?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • spending more now

votes
    32.4%
  • about the same

votes
    12.4%
  • spending less now than a year ago

votes
    38.2%
  • not acquiring anything at all any more

votes
    17.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
I am trying to get a handle on whether various factors have influenced the acquisition practices of domain investors. If you have been in domain investing for more than a year, please vote.

Note that I am asking about the total amount of your acquisition spend, not the price per name, or the number of domain names being bought.

Feel free to comment in the discussion on how your acquisitions are changing, for example same total dollars but fewer, better domain names.

Thank you in advance.

-Bob

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good question, Bob. (y)

I put it this way: last year, when in doubt whether or not to take a name - I rather was taken it, this year when in doubt - rather not.

Overall, my answer to the poll is - ''about the same'' - I bought less names, but got into the ''.ai'' area, which, as we all know, is more expensive.

•••
Since a couple of months I'm spending less. Not because I can't find good names but because the auction prices are now above what I can pay if I want to make a profit (and have a margin of safety).

This is unfortunate, because my sales are terrific so I have money to spend.

•••
I hope we will get a lot more people weigh in on this, please.

Personally, I struggled with whether to answer the same (which in end I selected) or less. I put most available funds into renewals in August, so in that month and since then I have definitely cut back on acquisitions. But if I take a wider window, probably not much different than last year.

-Bob

•••
My price per acquisition has gone up in the last two years but I rarely buy now unless it increases the overall quality of names in my portfolio. I'd say spending total has dropped overall though.

Last edited:
•••
Down to the final 45 names. Sell 1 a year I will have inventory till 2068 then I will retire. My vote was not buying anymore
Thanks Bob!

•••
I have barely bought any and have dropped a lot

•••
Thanks Bob for this poll. Would love to see how people reacting to this market condition. I am spending about the same, maybe slightly more. It is true however, this year I have to hassle more and diversify significantly in order to get the same results like past years. But this is the name of the game : adapt or die :xf.wink:

•••
I'm just started to buying but very selective.

•••
At this point I would say less.

It doesn't really have anything to do with a negative opinion on the domain market, it is just a lack of opportunities.

It seems like anything halfway decent goes for inflated prices, where it doesn't make sense as an investor.

Some of this is legitimate bidding. Some of it is auction shenanigans, like with GoDaddy expired auctions and the rollback scheme.

Regardless, it leads to a lack of appealing opportunities.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I go through cycles where I acquire domains and cycles where I trim my portfolio for quality. I am in a trimming mode right now, really focusing on improving my overall quality by culling some mediocre names. Not so much a comment on the overall market, just my normal business practice.

•••
I am trying to get a handle on whether various factors have influenced the acquisition practices of domain investors.
Hi

every domainer has their own preferences, subjects, categories that they dig for, to add in portfolio.

the cost will vary depending on each person's budget and how they weigh the potential of the name, when considering the acquisition.

like Brad alluded to below, i may spend less this year, simply because there aren't as many quality domains available in my field of interest.
but a couple of years ago, there were... and i bought a few.

At this point I would say less.

It doesn't really have anything to do with a negative opinion on the domain market, it is just a lack of opportunities.

so far, i'd say less too,
however, if something became available that's going to enhance the portfolio, then cash on hand wouldn't be the problem.

imo....

•••
Not spending a dime anymore. Thanks to all high rollers offering me advice here ; )

•••
•••
•••
Down a lot this year as I've focused on other areas, I've been getting back into the saddle the last week or so in regards to research and will be back riding the horse from January onwards

•••
Thanks to the crisis, I manually got 2 domains that were previously very expensive. I hope websites will be created.

•••
Way up for me. $125k+

Nearing 2000 names as I've discovered that having enough good sensible 1/2 words and the sayings/quotes type names hits a tipping point where there's enough sales to cover renewals and then still profit to reinvest in even more names. It took me years to figure out that's really how the many domain professionals manage to carry so many names. Anything less than a 1000 names unless They're valuable 1 worders, makes it a hard row to hoe. I now get more inquiries daily. I was only able to pull this off because of the cashflow I get from my successful service business to move above the few hundred names I've had for 10 years which had only allowed me 2-3 sizable sales per year back then. I previously did well with outbound and will start doing that again :)

•••
Less! I only acquire with profit from sales. I'm into domaining from October 2015 and it seems that 2023 will be the first year that I will make a negative profit.
As always I have high hopes for the next year!

Last edited:
•••
•••
I am spending less now because it really hasn't worked out well for me.

•••
I’m cautiously shopping the market for brandable and traffic domain names along with developed websites with an interesting niche.

Working primarily with start ups and building spec sites, it’s been a tough lumpy eighteen months.

•••
I am trying to get a handle on whether various factors have influenced the acquisition practices of domain investors. If you have been in domain investing for more than a year, please vote.

Note that I am asking about the total amount of your acquisition spend, not the price per name, or the number of domain names being bought.

Feel free to comment in the discussion on how your acquisitions are changing, for example same total dollars but fewer, better domain names.

Thank you in advance.

-Bob

spending less now than a year ago​

•••
I’m cautiously shopping the market for brandable and traffic domain names along with developed websites with an interesting niche.

Working primarily with start ups and building spec sites, it’s been a tough lumpy eighteen months.
I've got a few .com names that I've had for quite awhile that I'll part with, let me know a niche that you're looking to build a site in...

•••
Spending less than a year ago now mainly because I've invested tons of money in building the portfolio of 9,100+ domains which took more than a decade to build. Also less than 1% of my domains are hand registered.

It's the time to make some sales and save some money than to keep investing almost all the money back into buying/renewing domains for the last at least 10 years.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back