Another scam letter "Elite Investment Group"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VisualArtistFrankBonilla

Visual Artist Frank BonillaVIP Member
Impact
Just recived this scam letter:

Hello,

We buy and sell domains and web pr®jects. What is your price for the domain?

If you have other domains for sale feel free to send your list.

Looking forward to do business with you.

Regards,

Brian Samuelson

CEO

WHC Web Hosting Consulting & Investment LLC

I looked them up on the internet, and here they are::

Domain valuation scam targets Sedo users « That Danny!

Of course, I knew it was scam right off. :zzz: Not even a good scam letter.

Frank

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi, I'm new just joined today. I listed one of my domains on Sedo yesterday and then I received one of these too.

Hello,

We have an offer for your domain name. What is your asking price?

Our company invests in domains and developed sites. In case you have a list of domains for sale, please send the list with prices in plain text.
We prefer "dot coms", "dot nets" and easy-to-remember names.
Regards,

Daniel Sullivan

MBA, MSCE

Founder

Web Hosting & Domain Investment LLC
========================================================
NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

Unfortunately I answered him and he offered me $5900 for my domain. However being careful and thinking it might be a bit to lucky to get a buyer straight away, I thought I search around. Luckily for me, I found this post and have told him I am not interested. Thanks for the heads up people.

•••
I got the same email yesterday, after I listed a domain at Sedo a few days ago.
I actually replied first, asking how much they would offer, and they offered $5000.
I got excited, then was a bit wary, so I ran it by a friend who's been doing domains for a while, and he told me that it's a scam...
The funny thing was that I got 2 of the original emails...
Emails are below, I hope this helps someone else.

Hello,

I've seen your domain for sale. Please email your price. Our company is
interested in new domains.

If you have a list of other domains for sale, please send the list with
prices in plain text. We prefer "dot coms" and easy-to-remember names.

Regards,

Daniel Sullivan

MBA, MSCE

Founder

NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged
information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by
unintended recipients is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message
and deleting it from your computer.

I then replied:

Hi.
We are interested in selling the domain name, but we're asking potential buyers to make an offer for the domain name.
If it falls within or close to the price we're willing to take, then we can negotiate.
Please let us know what you're willing to pay.

To which he replied:

Can you accept 5,000 USD?

I have a 45,000 USD budget for 8-10 domain names. Have you had your domain names evaluated in the past? Without a valuation certificate we cannot be sure in the sale price. Moreover, my accountant and tax services always ask for valaution certificates :). On the other side, it's very important for me in terms of reselling too. Of course, we must engage a valuation company with a REAL manual service. So I will only accept valuations from independent sources I and my accountant trust.

To avoid mistakes I asked domain experts about reputable valuation companies. Please check this blog with suggestions from other sellers and buyers:
Domain Talk

If, for example, the valuation comes higher you can adjust your asking price accordingly. It will be fair. I also hope you can give me 12% - 15% discount.

After you send me the valuation via email (usually it takes 1-2 days to obtain it) we'll continue our negotiations. Do you sell domain with a web site or just the name? Domain without content is ok with me. Web site is not necessary.

What is your preferred payment method: Escrow.com, International wire transfer, PayPal.com or something else?

Hope we can come to an agreement fast.

Looking forward to your response.

•••
Hooraayyy!!!!

SWREG already refund my money. Thank you nielsencl and all the people in this forum. I really love you all. Thank you very much!!:loveyou::loveyou:

•••
Got this one a few minutes ago from: [email protected]

=====================================================
Hello,

We have an offer for your domain name. What is your asking price?

Our company invests in domains and developed sites. In case you have a
list
of domains for sale, please send the list with prices in plain text.
Regards,

Daniel Sullivan

MBA, MSCE

Founder

NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged
information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by
unintended recipients is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message
and deleting it from your computer.

•••
Hooraayyy!!!!

SWREG already refund my money. Thank you nielsencl and all the people in this forum. I really love you all. Thank you very much!!:loveyou::loveyou:

i want to get my money back also can you tell me what is the email address of SWREG that i must write to ?
thank you!

•••
Oh what fun - I got one too :)!

The domain they're using for the mail (webhostingandmail.com) is reg'd through Godaddy - I filed a spam complaint. Here's the URL - https://supportcenter.godaddy.com/Abuse/SpamReport.aspx?isc=g&ci=9077 in case anyone else wants to do the same.

It forwards to a domain with Hong Kong registration info and a crappy "hosting reviews" (i.e. affiliate) site, which is hosted at ThePlanet.

•••
The official appraisal scam thread

Might as well start one and keep it rolling since they keep registering new domains and new pitches to come at domain owners with... Just got this one below:

Email Address: [email protected]
Hello,

What is your asking price for your domain?

We have found it listed for sale and we have a good offer for you.

Our comapny invests in domains and developed sites. In case you have a
listof domains for sale, please send the list with prices in plain text.

Regards,

Adam Brzowski

COO

I knew it was a scam immediately, I responded with $5k and the appraisal scammer from name-deals.com replied:

Can you accept 4,000 USD?

I have a 38,000 USD budget for 5-8 domain names. Have you had your domain names evaluated in the past? Without a valuation certificate we cannot be sure in the sale price. Moreover, my accountant and tax services always ask for valaution certificates :). On the other side, it's very important for me in terms of reselling too. Of course, we must engage a valuation company with a REAL manual service. So I will only accept valuations from independent sources I and my accountant trust.

To avoid mistakes I asked domain experts about reputable appraisal companies. Please check this blog with suggestions from other sellers and buyers:
domainexplorer.org/Archive/63780341.htm

If, for example, the valuation comes higher you can adjust your asking price accordingly. It will be fair. I also hope you can give me 12% - 15% discount.

After you send me the valuation via email (usually it takes 1-2 days to obtain it) we'll continue our negotiations. Do you sell domain with a web site or just the name? Domain without content is ok with me. Web site is not necessary.

What is your preferred payment method: Escrow.com, International wire transfer, PayPal.com or something else?

Hope we can come to an agreement fast.

Looking forward to your reply.

....classic :zzz:

Please add your own new scam email addresses to this thread.. I will dig up a few more and post them here too.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
I got an email from this person earlier. :o

I got offer 12k. ^^

•••
Got exact email too. Scammer.

•••
•••
Huge thread already in warnings and alerts for this "domainexplorer".com scam
several names used.

Threads merged.

•••
Hi, Im new here and just recieved this email from name-deals,

Hello,

How much do you want for your domain?

Our comapny invests in domains and developed sites. If you have a list of domains for sale, please send the list with prices in plain text.

We prefer ".com", ".net", ".co", ".co.uk", ".us" and easy-to-remember names with other extensions.

Regards,

Jerry Eisenberg

Vice President

Hosting & Name Deals LLC

I take it this is a scam too ?.

•••
•••
fringe: Can you post the URLs and email address the person used to contact you? It will help others who look for information about this person.

•••
fringe: Can you post the URLs and email address the person used to contact you? It will help others who look for information about this person.

Sure this is the email of the scammer in question, [email protected] , He emailed me saying he was interested in buying fmlq dot com.

The url just re-directs to a reputable site.

Lucky there is sites like this one around to provide details of these scammers.

•••
Received the same letter today from Jerry Eisenberg at name-deals.com.
Obviously they automatically track the newly added names for sale at sedo and spam with these emails. Assuming how many names are added to sedo each day and how many beginners arrive to the industry right along - even if 1% beleives this scam, there're still many potential victims.

According to WHOIS info, the registrant of name-deals.com is:
James Whitham
12 Regent Close Saxton Road
Hull, Willerby HU10 6HJ
United Kingdom

But surely fake as well.

•••
Just a reminder that you can report spam emails and often get their hosting account closed and domain suspended. I do this all the time.

I just added some domains to my SEDO account to see if that results in my getting one of these new emails. But I think my email address may have been blacklisted by many of the scammers since I report so many of them. :)

•••
Received the same letter today from Jerry Eisenberg at name-deals.com.
Obviously they automatically track the newly added names for sale at sedo and spam with these emails. Assuming how many names are added to sedo each day and how many beginners arrive to the industry right along - even if 1% beleives this scam, there're still many potential victims.

According to WHOIS info, the registrant of name-deals.com is:
James Whitham
12 Regent Close Saxton Road
Hull, Willerby HU10 6HJ
United Kingdom

But surely fake as well.
'

Yeah, I received this too. It became all too obvious when he replied to my message saying that my domains needed to be appraised before they could even spend a penny.

•••
I recieved this message as well and other questions

I am new to domaining and recieved this message as well. I started to negotiate but nothing more. I was wondering since this is obviously a scam what is the goal of this scam or how do they get our money? is it the domain appraisal fee that they are after or if you sell them a domain are they trying to scam you in other ways.

Also another question: I have listed some of my domains on ebay but was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers about seller protection. Is there any way to prove domain transfer so that the buyer cannot claim the item was never delivered? has any one had any problems with paypal or ebay refunding money paid after domains have been transfered?

Any answers or tips will help and I wont deal with Jerry eisenberg either. Also suggestions on the best and most secure place to sell domains, how to sell them, generally any info that will help a newbie domain entreprenuer will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all the help and cant wait to hear back.

•••
jerry eisenberg scam

I'm embarrassed to say that I led this on for 6 emails before I wised up.

Just hope I get my money refunded. Thanks to all of you for your input

Jack

Hello,

How much do you want for your domain?

Our comapny invests in domains and developed sites. If you have a list of
domains for sale, please send the list with prices in plain text.

We prefer ".com", ".net", ".co", ".co.uk", ".us" and easy-to-remember
names with other extensions.

Regards,

Jerry Eisenberg

Vice President

Hosting & Name Deals LLC

•••
I am new to domaining and recieved this message as well. I started to negotiate but nothing more. I was wondering since this is obviously a scam what is the goal of this scam or how do they get our money? is it the domain appraisal fee that they are after or if you sell them a domain are they trying to scam you in other ways.

They insist that you use a specific appraisal system and you must pay for the appraisal. Once the appraisal has been carried out they suddenly lose interest. Of course in reality they have no interest in the domain and are just wanting you to purchase an appraisal from a site they run.

Also another question: I have listed some of my domains on ebay but was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers about seller protection. Is there any way to prove domain transfer so that the buyer cannot claim the item was never delivered? has any one had any problems with paypal or ebay refunding money paid after domains have been transfered?

This is always a problem. Ensure you take precautions and do your homework on potential buyers. This is of course a bit harder when selling on eBay. If a domain is of a large value then ensure you use escrow. Also try to use payment methods that are non refundable (or at least hard to refund). Paypal is quite risky for example but is convenient.

•••
OK, well the question now is, what can we do to stop this?

Surely we can put an end to Mr. "Jerry Eisenberg" and his little appraisal sites. Too many good people have fallen in his trap and its time that justice be served against him.

X-Message-Delivery: Vj0xLjE7dXM9MDtsPTA7YT0xO0Q9MTtTQ0w9MA==

X-Message-Status: n:0

X-SID-PRA: [email protected]

X-AUTH-Result: NONE

X-Message-Info: JGTYoYF78jFnomcRAmA4kwh7K6RJyvg5SrHeikzbZKRTpku/yeo6JckpXlHEafEfxJL9Pg9XrfLhk+rT2+oa35mSS9Cko7xvo0Dt2RLsNN4=

Received: from p3smtphosting01-01.prod.phx3.secureserver.net ([208.109.80.23]) by bay0-mc1-f30.Bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);

Thu, 12 Aug 2010 05:38:07 -0700

Received: (qmail 26699 invoked from network); 12 Aug 2010 12:38:08 -0000

Received: from p3swh129.shr.phx3.secureserver.net (HELO p3swh129.gdhosting.gdg) ([208.109.181.171])

(envelope-sender <[email protected]>)

by p3smtphosting01-01.prod.phx3.secureserver.net (qmail-ldap-1.03) with SMTP

for <[email protected]>; 12 Aug 2010 12:38:07 -0000

Received: from mail pickup service by p3swh129.gdhosting.gdg with Microsoft SMTPSVC;

Thu, 12 Aug 2010 05:36:47 -0700

To: <[email protected]>

Subject: XXXXXXXXXXXX.XXX (sent 08/12/10)

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 05:36:46 -0700

X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.4325

Message-ID: <[email protected]>

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 12 Aug 2010 12:36:47.0020 (UTC) FILETIME=[073DA6C0:01CB3A1B]

Return-Path: [email protected]

Ok, so there is the message source, so what can we get out of it?
Also, here is the link he posted for the appraisal sites: Domain Talk

•••
•••
OK, well the question now is, what can we do to stop this?
Good question. Here are my suggestions:

1) If you paid for an appraisal before you learned about this scam, contact the appraisal company, show them the email you got and a link to this thread. If they did not warn you about the appraisal scam before you paid them, then you need to demand your money back. If they won't return the money, then contact the payment processor and send them the same information AND the reply from the appraisl company. If the payment processor won't make a refund, then post about it here. One of us MAY try to contact the payment process and get them to understand what is going on, but at least people can learn which payment processors are scam-friendly.

2) If you get one of these scam emails and have NOT fallen for it, report the email as SPAM. SpamCop.net - Beware of cheap imitations is a good way to do this or you can do it yourself using WHOIS or other tools. Report the spam to the hosting company where the domain is hosted and the domain registrar. THESE REPORTS ARE GENERALLY VERY, VERY, EFFECTIVE. If you want to help clean up the web, reporting spam just once a week or month would help a lot!

3) Post about this scam on other sites, forums, and blogs. Tell others so they don't get taken in. Even if they don't have domains, there may be another scam like this that comes along and people will think twice before spending money on something to get a big payoff. :)

•••
Update: The main appraisal site listed in this thread still does not have a warning up for people about this scam. This does not mean they are running the scam, but to me it means at best they don't care if people get scammed. For this reason I recommend they not be used, even if you as a buyer or seller want to get an appraisal for your own reasons.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back