IT.COM

A poll for LLLL.com Investors

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How many LLLL.coms do you own and what age bracket do you fall into?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 50-100; 15-25 years old

votes
    15.9%
  • 50-100; 25-30 years old

votes
    17.4%
  • 50-100; 30+ years old

votes
    17.4%
  • 100-250; 15-25 years old

votes
    8.7%
  • 100-250; 25-30 years old

votes
    7.2%
  • 100-250; 30+ years old

votes
    15.9%
  • 250-500; 15-25 years old

vote
    1.4%
  • 250-500; 25-30 years old

votes
    0.0%
  • 250-500; 30+ years old

votes
    4.3%
  • 500 or more; 15-25 years old

votes
    2.9%
  • 500 or more; 25-30 years old

votes
    0.0%
  • 500 or more; 30+ years old

votes
    8.7%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Just a small poll to better understand who our LLLL.com investors are. The poll is completely confidential. If successful, additional polls will be made in the future relating topics other than one's age to one's collection of LLLL.coms.

If we can better understand who our fellow LLLL.com investors are, we can better understand what socioeconomic factors are likely to influence their behaviour in this otherwise seemingly chaotic market. These polls will hopefully help everyone draw their own conclusions about when market entry and exit are best for them.

It would have been ideal to have more options, however, granted polls are limited to a maximum of 12 choices, these are the ones I felt were best for this poll. Those with fewer than 50 LLLL.coms are more than welcome to announce such here.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Another one in the "N/A" boat... I turn 18 in a few weeks and have fewer than 50 LLLL.coms.

•••
Yay! I'm one of 2 people so far under 25 that owns 500+ LLLL.com domains. I am 23 and also own 500+ L-L-L.com domains. Great poll Reece, keep up the good work :)

Last edited:
•••
•••
Interesting.

Better to have categories:
Under 25
25-34
35+

The 5 year interval of 25-30 seems a bit short to me. (although ~40% of the vote is in this category)
Under 25 includes all ages below 25.

•••
voted. around 75 @ 32 years young

•••
Reece said:
Most of the higher quality names gained considerably from the LLLL.com buyout. If I were to sell my 1500 LLLL.com for $7 next year and convince another 10 people with equally large portfolios to do the same, yes, I very much do think it could bring down the prices of every single LLLL.com.

I seriously hope large buyers like yourself will not do that! I think it would be a great idea for large buyers to continue to buy and keep the floor higher.

Reece said:
With a triple premium + Q fetching $20, it's not hard to justify paying $30 or so for a triple premium + J. If that triple premium + Q falls to $7, are you really going to pay 400% more just so you can have that J?

I don't know... We'll really have to see what happens, but I think it's in everyone's best efforts to analyze the entire LLLL.com market and not the small segment (eg. premiums, CVCV, VCVC, ...) they're invested in.

I am trying to understand the whole Premium & all other stuff. How much would a domain like XAXM.com go fo?

Are you recommending here that even if the domain has bad letters, we should buy them and that it would be worth more than $20?

Thanks,
NK

•••
Reece said:
Most of the higher quality names gained considerably from the LLLL.com buyout. If I were to sell my 1500 LLLL.com for $7 next year and convince another 10 people with equally large portfolios to do the same, yes, I very much do think it could bring down the prices of every single LLLL.com.
Yet again I point to that graph at DYYO.com showing a steady decline of ~5000 LLL available every month over nearly two years. A dump of 15,000 bad letter names for $7 next summer would be sopped up quickly due to pent-up demand. The LLLL.com universe is 457,000 names - it is .com and is globally recognised as the shortest names readily available for a reasonable price (think mobile web). I think it will soon be a tiger.

Several factors made me believe that LLLL.coms were greatly under-priced. Now we are in a period where those who are happy to take a quick profit are selling, creating conditions that do not represent the long-term outlook for these domains. The quick sellers will soon have no domains left. The hold-til-I-have-to-renew sellers will, as you say, dump next summer/fall and the expectation of this may hold back prices a bit until they are cleared out. But I would not be surprised (with a steady economy) if bad letter LLLL.coms have a base reseller price of $40 next summer.

The economy is the elephant in the room, however, and a major stock market fall (I do not consider what we have yet seen to be major) could cause massive dumping, delaying the rise of the LLLL.com tiger.

To netklick -- Reese, of course can answer for himself, but I would not be too excited about buying at $20 for a possible $40 (+renewal fee) next summer. A good deal for bulk buyers, perhaps, but small investors can find better deals -either sift for gems in LLLL.com or look elsewhere.

Last edited:
•••
Popular is 50-100; 25-30 years old..
22.50%

I have poll 50-100; 15-25 years old.........

•••
wow - great to see this kind of creative data-gathering and hypothesis testing!

I'm a "category 6" coLLLLector -> 30+ age, 100+ LLLL (almost entirely "line noise" WXQV etc)

still not sure about the logic behind the "October drop" hypothesis - given that most of us ponied up the $$$ to reg a bunch (in a hurry no less) in the last few months, seems reasonable to expect a significant portion of us calculated-risk takers will plan ahead to renew them. There might be a few "expected $100 for XYZQ now very disappointed and just letting them all drop" but that seems like the thin tail of the curve here ...

Also - the market is so much bigger than any of us, even all of the biggest investors posting on NP put together don't hold more than a few percent of the total 456,796 LLLL out there ...

hey - if you need to sell some, go for it. It's a drop in the bucket - and if it's a drop in the market, well that will be a welcome buying opportunity for some of the longer-term players - not a problem! :)

We're all going to be selling most of our holdings sooner or later, probably (but not necessarily) at a nice profit - depending on how long it takes for several hundred thousand end users to become part of the equation. The ebbs and flows of money changing hands between a few thousand resellers in the meantime are really just little ripples on the surface of a much bigger wave.

(And as accentnepal points out, there are a few big wave-making forces at work to keep in mind as well in the short term, such as the stock market etc ...)

Back to the poll and ideas for more data-gathering - would be interesting to correlate age with the "quality vs. quantity" dimension - ie, what is the highest $$$ amount you've paid for an LLLL ? (Hmmm - the answer for me is $39 - and I'm 39 years old!)

What is the average and total acquisition cost of your holdings? (For me, about 70 at reg-fee or less :) + maybe 40 aftermarket @ around $20 each)

Maybe the real question to ask is: when do you plan to sell ? Gets a bit dicey asking/answering that one ... but okay - personally, at least 25% of mine were purchased with intent of doing relatively quick flips (days/weeks/months at most) ... but I've been procrastinating pulling the trigger, actually continuing to buy a few more instead. While I'm looking for bargain "diamonds in the rough" or maybe a reasonably affordable "oooh shiny" semi-premium, I'm not anxious to buy many more "anti-premiums" - but neither am I anxious to sell any for less than $20.

Really should reflect a bit more carefully on my (seat-of-the-pants) "strategy" and expectations at this point I think! All in all I'm still reasonably close to my comfort zone - will be more inclined to buy than to sell if I see prices going down over the next few months. Not at all convinced that a big profit within a year is a sure thing though it seems like reasonable odds over the next 2 or 3 years, all things considered. (Or an interesting learning experience in the ups and downs of market hype and mass self-delusion at least!)

Last edited:
•••
interesting poll. I wanted to know this myself. If most of the LLLL.coms were being held by 15 year olds, then I would've assumed them to be not a strong investment. But it seems that LLLL.coms are mostly held by people who can actually afford to pay the renewal fees for a couple of years. The 'poor man's LLL.com' idea seems to go out with this poll..

For the record, I own less than 50, and I'm 20.

filter said:
wow - great to see this kind of creative data-gathering and hypothesis testing!

I'm a "category 6" coLLLLector -> 30+ age, 100+ LLLL (almost entirely "line noise" WXQV etc)

still not sure about the logic behind the "October drop" hypothesis - given that most of us ponied up the $$$ to reg a bunch (in a hurry no less) in the last few months, seems reasonable to expect a significant portion of us calculated-risk takers will plan ahead to renew them. There might be a few "expected $100 for XYZQ now very disappointed and just letting them all drop" but that seems like the thin tail of the curve here ...

Also - the market is so much bigger than any of us, even all of the biggest investors posting on NP put together don't hold more than a few percent of the total 456,796 LLLL out there ...

hey - if you need to sell some, go for it. It's a drop in the bucket - and if it's a drop in the market, well that will be a welcome buying opportunity for some of the longer-term players - not a problem! :)

We're all going to be selling most of our holdings sooner or later, probably (but not necessarily) at a nice profit - depending on how long it takes for several hundred thousand end users to become part of the equation. The ebbs and flows of money changing hands between a few thousand resellers in the meantime are really just little ripples on the surface of a much bigger wave.

(And as accentnepal points out, there are a few big wave-making forces at work to keep in mind as well in the short term, such as the stock market etc ...)

Back to the poll and ideas for more data-gathering - would be interesting to correlate age with the "quality vs. quantity" dimension - ie, what is the highest $$$ amount you've paid for an LLLL ? (Hmmm - the answer for me is $39 - and I'm 39 years old!)

What is the average and total acquisition cost of your holdings? (For me, about 70 at reg-fee or less :) + maybe 40 aftermarket @ around $20 each)

Maybe the real question to ask is: when do you plan to sell ? Gets a bit dicey asking/answering that one ... but okay - personally, at least 25% of mine were purchased with intent of doing relatively quick flips (days/weeks/months at most) ... but I've been procrastinating pulling the trigger, actually continuing to buy a few more instead. While I'm looking for bargain "diamonds in the rough" or maybe a reasonably affordable "oooh shiny" semi-premium, I'm not anxious to buy many more "anti-premiums" - but neither am I anxious to sell any for less than $20.

Really should reflect a bit more carefully on my (seat-of-the-pants) "strategy" and expectations at this point I think! All in all I'm still reasonably close to my comfort zone - will be more inclined to buy than to sell if I see prices going down over the next few months. Not at all convinced that a big profit within a year is a sure thing though it seems like reasonable odds over the next 2 or 3 years, all things considered. (Or an interesting learning experience in the ups and downs of market hype and mass self-delusion at least!)

Interesting observations Filter.
I think one big thing undermining LLLL.com value is the large number of such names for sale, both here at NP and DNF. If you look around, the For Sale section is full of LLLL.coms for sale, some good, some bad.
If LLLL.coms have to realize their peak value, they have to be 'exclusive', like the LLL.coms. At a time, you won't see more than 1-2 LLL.coms up for sale at the forums, and people sell them usually to fund other projects/purchases. This makes them 'exclusive' - buy it now, or never get the chance.

But if you have 100 LLLL.coms for sale everyday, then what difference does it make to me? I know if I get out bid on Hugr.com, a couple of days later, I can expect someone else to be selling Hubr.com. Meaning, I won't bid my maximum. Thats why domains reach such high values at the auctions - the desperation to own a quality name pushes the bidders. If you have so many names for sale, there is no desperation...

I have around 20 LLLL.coms, and only one of them is a hand reg. The most I've spent on a LLLL.com is $310, but I've spent 40 times more on a domain name. I'm still hesitant in shelling out 4k for a quality CVCV.com; I'd rather buy a low quality LLL.com for 6.5k. This market is still unstable and much of its fate will be decided by this time next year.

But its a good sign nonetheless knowing that the majority of LLLL.coms aren't being held by 15 year olds using daddy's credit card
:hehe:

Last edited:
•••
Reece!

You made me feel old.....since I`m 31 :(

•••
•••
Sashas thanks for sharing your own info & enlightened perspective!
sashas said:
[...] I think one big thing undermining LLLL.com value is the large number of such names for sale, both here at NP and DNF. If you look around, the For Sale section is full of LLLL.coms for sale, some good, some bad.
If LLLL.coms have to realize their peak value, they have to be 'exclusive', like the LLL.coms. At a time, you won't see more than 1-2 LLL.coms up for sale at the forums, and people sell them usually to fund other projects/purchases. This makes them 'exclusive' - buy it now, or never get the chance.

But if you have 100 LLLL.coms for sale everyday, then what difference does it make to me? I know if I get out bid on Hugr.com, a couple of days later, I can expect someone else to be selling Hubr.com. Meaning, I won't bid my maximum. Thats why domains reach such high values at the auctions - the desperation to own a quality name pushes the bidders. If you have so many names for sale, there is no desperation...
[...]
Absence of desperation is a good thing IMO - helps keep the peaks and valleys of the fear/greed cycle at a manageable level - giving up short term windfall profit opportunity in the interest of enjoying a sane, steady reality-based market in the long run.

I'll be happy to see a "buyers' market" over the next year or two - I'd like to keep buying for as long as possible while prices remain on the sane side.

And the quick-flippers shouldn't mind too much if they can only command a 100% - 400% markup for low/mid-grade hand-regs. Percentage-wise it's a fair ROI after holding for just a month (or better yet, maybe even just a day for the intrepid independent drop catchers out there). In absolute terms it's $5 to $30 profit per LLLL for an hour or 2 of work (or play, if you enjoy buying and selling that much) ... So, not bad but maybe not so astoundingly lucrative to motivate continued large-scale selling at this stage in the market.

The big wave is moving like a tsunami - right now just a barely perceptable slow ripple in the deep ocean 100s of miles from shore. That "big wave" is driven by the small percent of LLLL finding end users large and small at whatever price every month. For instance, the one I spent $39 on (hi NameSlam) DZEB - bought as a gift for my young nephew (nickname == "Zeb") - you know I will make sure to pre-pay the next 10 years of reg fees for that one. Let's say that today that 1 LLLL taken off the market represents maybe 1/400,000 (?) of the reseller stock. Imagine that the "next" one to go represents 1/399,999 ... and so on. Roll that out several years, and eventually it's not going to be 400,000+ names on the market any more - we'll be looking at something a lot closer to 40,000 left trading between resellers - sooner or later - 5 years, 15 years - who knows. But whenever it happens, once the scarcity factor is within spitting distance of LLL territory, watch out. We're not going to be seeing any ZQYX anywhere even close to $39 any more ...

So ... thinking about it - I might pay reg fees on the bulk of my LLLL for the next 10 years or so and then (possibly, maybe, sort of) retire on the profit from selling off what I've still got at that point. That's the long view from where I'm sitting. (I'll keep funding my 401K as a backup too though!) :)

Last edited:
•••
filter said:
Sashas thanks for sharing your own info + informed perspective!

Absence of desperation is a good thing IMO - helps keep the peaks and valleys of the fear/greed cycle at a manageable level - giving up short term windfall profit opportunity in the interest of enjoying a sane, steady reality-based market in the long run.

I'll be happy to see a "buyers' market" over the next year or two - I'd like to keep buying for as long as possible while prices remain on the sane side.

And the quick-flippers shouldn't mind too much if they can only command a 100% - 400% markup for their low-grade hand-regs. Percentage-wise it's a fair ROI after holding for just a month (or better yet, maybe even just a day for the intrepid independent drop catchers out there). In absolute terms it's $5 to $30 profit per LLLL for an hour or 2 of work (or play, if you enjoy buying and selling that much) ... So, not bad but maybe not so astoundingly lucrative to motivate continued large-scale selling at this stage in the market.

The big wave is moving like a tsunami - right now just a barely perceptable slow ripple in the deep ocean 100s of miles from shore. That "big wave" is driven by the small percent of LLLL finding end users large and small at whatever price every month. For instance, the one I spent $39 on (hi NameSlam!) DZEB - bought as a gift for my young nephew (nickname == "Zeb") - you know I will make sure to pre-pay the next 10 years of reg fees for that one. Let's say that today that 1 LLLL taken off the market represents maybe 1/400,000 (?) of the reseller stock. Imagine that the "next" one to go represents 1/399,999 ... and so on. Roll that out several years, and eventually it's not going to be 400,000+ names on the market any more - we'll be looking at something a lot closer to 40,000 left trading between resellers - sooner or later - 5 years, 15 years - who knows. But whenever it happens, once the scarcity factor is within spitting distance of LLL territory, watch out. We're not going to be seeing any ZQYX anywhere even close to $39 any more ...

So ... thinking about it - I might pay reg fees on the bulk of my LLLL for the next 10 years or so and then (possibly, maybe, sort of) retire on the profit from selling off what I've still got at that point. That's the long view from where I'm sitting. (I'll keep funding my 401K as a backup though!) :)

I'm still doubtful of the xqyz.com names. These are the names I'm the most wary of. The other, premium ones and semi premium ones will remain regged and appreciate in value, no doubt about that. A majority of the CVCV.coms were regged by 2000. Most of the premium LLLL.coms were also taken more than an year back. If they were regged for so long, I don't see any reason for them being dropped. And I consider it a given that they will rise in value. Simply speaking, shorter names have to increase in value as the internet penetrates further and further into developing nations.

So essentially, its not a question of "Will the LLLL.coms increase in value and are they a good investment option?", but rather, "Will xqyj.com increase in value? Should I buy it for $10 right now?"

•••
sashas said:
I'm still doubtful of the xqyz.com names. These are the names I'm the most wary of. The other, premium ones and semi premium ones will remain regged and appreciate in value, no doubt about that. A majority of the CVCV.coms were regged by 2000. Most of the premium LLLL.coms were also taken more than an year back. If they were regged for so long, I don't see any reason for them being dropped. And I consider it a given that they will rise in value. Simply speaking, shorter names have to increase in value as the internet penetrates further and further into developing nations.

So essentially, its not a question of "Will the LLLL.coms increase in value and are they a good investment option?", but rather, "Will xqyj.com increase in value? Should I buy it for $10 right now?"

sashas, I think you should consider that they JUST ran out only a month ago.

your "exclusive" point , is right but that`s why you can find LLLL.com for less than $100 now.

In 3 years time what will you find at less than $200?

I`ll be here to discuss it. :)

•••
sashas said:
"Will xqyj.com increase in value? Should I buy it for $10 right now?"

Take it as given that I'm biased, with a vested interest ... But how did I come to acquire this vested interest? Because I wanted to reg a LLLL for my own use back in September. Found DYYO, looked for the best I could find from what was available. Found a bunch that I liked, picked them all up "just in case" ... Found TDNAM, picked up a few $5 + renewal drops ... Found DNF, scored a "fire sale" pickup of 20+ at way below reg fee ... All this when there were still more than 10,000 available for reg-fee, when "the buyout" was a very abstract hypothetical, not a sure thing. I bought them because I liked them.

I'm not a typical consumer, granted. Probably a fairly small demographic, maybe somewhere around 1 out of 10,000 of the general population shares my interests and instincts. But it's a big world ... and it's not getting any smaller. So if I find myself inclined to prefer XVQT.com (one of the last 30 or so regged in the buyout - ergo, the absolute dregs of LLLL) to AUniqueAndMeaningfulButMuchTooLongName.com ... well, sooner or later I think I'll be able to find a loving home for XVQT.com - for $50 easy in a year, for $500 maybe in a decade ... either way, probably well worth $10 + renewal fees until I find that 1/10,000 fellow LLLL afficionado looking for an affordable short name ... Once you get to know an XVQT of your very own, it's as sweet a piece as any Hulu or Lulu at 1000 times the price! :imho:

And granted right now the AUniqueAndMeaningfulButMuchTooLongName.com may seem like a bit of a straw man / false choice - but ... at some point there probably aren't going to be all that many other options. And my (arguably demented) instinct tells me that at least 1 out of 10,000 people out there are going to see something like xqyj.com as the obviously preferable option available at a given price - sufficient for me to turn a decent profit and cheerfully endure the 9,999 Peter J Foti's of the world in the meantime ...

Last edited:
•••
sashas said:

Careful what you call as not premium ones. Your example, XQYZ is worth a lot more than what you think it is. Many times what I found with LLLL names is that there are other extensions like .cn or .net or .tk being used by others.

XQYZ.cn is registered and has a website
XQYZ.net is also registered.

Also one other observation that I had about LLLL names is that, they are easy to separate them in LL LL. Hence one end user can definitely make up an acronym that works for them - or serve their purpose.

A short name and a good acronym. If you do a search for the LL on Google, you will find ton of results. Take the latter half and do the same thing. It is almost always possible to make something up that makes sense.

-NK

•••
I own about 80, and am 17 years old :) Heh, gotta love ~$600 per year renewal costs ;)

•••
15-25 age bracket. Almost 20 years old to be exact.
0-50 LLLL.coms. 20 to be exact.

•••
tristanperry said:
I own about 80, and am 17 years old :) Heh, gotta love ~$600 per year renewal costs ;)

:) 17 also with about 350 total... I dont think sbout the renewal fees.

•••
stats from "early poll results"

with 49 votes so far, ...

summing up the "minimum" of each range (50/100/250/500)

minimum total LLLL held by voters in this poll = 6500

(in reality we can safely add about 3000 to this since Johnnywj and Reece have both voted here and are known to hold 1500+ / 2300+ respectively. If 1john2004 and rickkumar and "mystery collector 3000" have also already voted in this thread then can add another 5500 on top of that ... but never mind all that, let's just look at the nominal breakdown among age groups based on the known minumums ... and refer to the big count poll thread for better "total count" estimates)

So ... based on 6500 minimum count ->

2050 held by 15-25 age bracket (approx 31%)
950 held by 25-30 age bracket (approx 15%)
3500 held by 30+ age bracket (approx 54%)

note 10 year span in the 15-25 bracket
and 5 years in the 25-30 bracket
and theoretically 50+ years possible for the 30+ bracket
so interpret these relative percentages accordingly ... ie, if poll included breakdown for 15-20 and 20-25 then these might both have just 15% each as well ... likewise if the 30+ bracket was split into 30-35 / 35-40 etc ... who knows!

one possibly interesting trend seen so far: no one in the 25-30 range has 'fessed up to owning more than 250 ... while there are 2 in the 15-25 bracket holding 500+ plus another 1 in that bracket holding 250-500 ... What's up with that ? :alien: :yell: :alien: :)

•••
I own less than 50, and I'm 30 yrs. old

Me too, but as about 35 voted in the section for 50+.
Im 30+ too

Me too, I turn 30 in a few months :)

A Big Hello to all the 30 year Old's!

•••
Very well said.

I'm also thinking we'll see min wholesale around $30-$50 for 2-4x bad letter LLLL.coms come next summer. I wouldn't be surprised at all if 3x premium + 1x bad letter LLLL.coms hit $70-$80 by then. I mean seriously... Plenty of acronyms can be made with a single Q,X,Y,Z -- although it becomes significantly more difficult with even 2 such letters.

I do agree with you on your stock market hypothesis. At this time, the LLLL.com market is a fragile one, not at all like the LLL.com market.

I also agree that the time to flip is gone. Paying $20 to realize a likely $10-$30 profit next summer is hardly worth the time and effort if done on a small scale.

accentnepal said:
Yet again I point to that graph at DYYO.com showing a steady decline of ~5000 LLL available every month over nearly two years. A dump of 15,000 bad letter names for $7 next summer would be sopped up quickly due to pent-up demand. The LLLL.com universe is 457,000 names - it is .com and is globally recognised as the shortest names readily available for a reasonable price (think mobile web). I think it will soon be a tiger.

Several factors made me believe that LLLL.coms were greatly under-priced. Now we are in a period where those who are happy to take a quick profit are selling, creating conditions that do not represent the long-term outlook for these domains. The quick sellers will soon have no domains left. The hold-til-I-have-to-renew sellers will, as you say, dump next summer/fall and the expectation of this may hold back prices a bit until they are cleared out. But I would not be surprised (with a steady economy) if bad letter LLLL.coms have a base reseller price of $40 next summer.

The economy is the elephant in the room, however, and a major stock market fall (I do not consider what we have yet seen to be major) could cause massive dumping, delaying the rise of the LLLL.com tiger.

To netklick -- Reese, of course can answer for himself, but I would not be too excited about buying at $20 for a possible $40 (+renewal fee) next summer. A good deal for bulk buyers, perhaps, but small investors can find better deals -either sift for gems in LLLL.com or look elsewhere.

I was somewhat expecting the larger holders to be older than the smaller holders.. If we associate a particular risk with the investment in LLLL.coms and are willing to put a certain percentage of our investments in LLLL.coms accordingly, it would seem rational that older members who've likely been saving for longer would likely own larger stakes in the extension than younger members for whom hundreds of LLLL.coms may be beyond their financial capacity. I did forsee the majority of members owning LLLL.coms as being younger, however. I posted about that earlier, I believe, and now the stats seem to confirm that (almost 2/3 under 30). I would imagine that speculative investments seem more attractive to younger members who perhaps do not have as many financial responsibilities (loans, credit card, mortgage, more credit cards ;) ). Perhaps they appreciate their money more and are less inclined to invest speculatively with it? I'm quite happy with the results so far... Most of our younger domainers seem to have manageable amounts of LLLL.coms and our older domainers -- the ones who can likely afford large stakes, have on average, the most. The fact that, as Sashas said, "These aren't all owned by a bunch of 15 year olds with their dad's credit card," is particularly reassuring. So far, it seems like we have a very diverse mix of investors across several generations investing anything from a few bucks to tens of thousands...

All in all, I like what I see :)

filter said:
stats from "early poll results"

with 49 votes so far, ...

summing up the "minimum" of each range (50/100/250/500)

minimum total LLLL held by voters in this poll = 6500

(in reality we can safely add about 3000 to this since Johnnywj and Reece have both voted here and are known to hold 1500+ / 2300+ respectively. If 1john2004 and rickkumar and "mystery collector 3000" have also already voted in this thread then can add another 5500 on top of that ... but never mind all that, let's just look at the nominal breakdown among age groups based on the known minumums ... and refer to the big count poll thread for better "total count" estimates)

So ... based on 6500 minimum count ->

2050 held by 15-25 age bracket (approx 31%)
950 held by 25-30 age bracket (approx 15%)
3500 held by 30+ age bracket (approx 54%)

note 10 year span in the 15-25 bracket
and 5 years in the 25-30 bracket
and theoretically 50+ years possible for the 30+ bracket
so interpret these relative percentages accordingly ... ie, if poll included breakdown for 15-20 and 20-25 then these might both have just 15% each as well ... likewise if the 30+ bracket was split into 30-35 / 35-40 etc ... who knows!

one possibly interesting trend seen so far: no one in the 25-30 range has 'fessed up to owning more than 250 ... while there are 2 in the 15-25 bracket holding 500+ plus another 1 in that bracket holding 250-500 ... What's up with that ? :alien: :yell: :alien: :)

•••
I tried to ask to Ron Jackson to cover the LLLL.com big event (the sell-out) in his DNJournal but he did not reply....probably he did not even read it.

Imagine when the big boys "notice" , they may have not noticed yet busy like they are.

•••
italiandragon said:
I tried to ask to Ron Jackson to cover the LLLL.com big event (the sell-out) in his DNJournal but he did not reply....probably he did not even read it.

Imagine when the big boys "notice" , they may have not noticed yet busy like they are.

Well, I'm sure Adam noticed ;)

Alot of those big boys don't seem to stray far from high traffic revenue producing .coms. Imagine how much money one of them could have made if they'd bought out the LLLL.coms 3-4 years ago (when plenty of premiums were around).

Even the pros don't always get everything right (they'll never admit that though, just like your stockbroker who always picks "winners" ;) )...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back