IT.COM

discuss 3D Showcase, Discussion, and Confirmed Sales Sightings

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Just curios how the market is for these domains right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
this thread is same old same old , some with their heads in the sand and some looking beyond the horizon ....... at the end i guess some folk can't see beyond their nose

•••
death, taxes and your negative comments in a 3d thread are the things we can rely on in life, but after a while they lose their impact i suggest

I don't think that "death" loses its impact :)

But I think it's a shame that all these 3d threads end up where they end up. They all make fun of the same guy .. and it's not nice.

It's a shame because I think that DestinysWeb is a nice domain for a blog... and the guy can obviously build an interesting enough site.

I think between his hyperbole (and he gets overexcited, no doubt) and the needless slamming of his credentials - it's the same old tired stuff.

What did I learn in this thread? There's a market for good names. There are yaysayers and naysayers and no one like 3ddomainnames.

Yup. Bout sums it up.

•••
i thought his site looked good , nothing wrong with being proactive when trying to sell your names , 3d or otherwise

•••
Too many domainers are dreaming...

Domainers are the dream weavers of the web.

Sometimes the dream is the sale.

Sometimes the dream is "The Site".

Sometimes a name does not have to sell to have value.

A domainer dream is worth every reg penny.

•••
3D domains are already starting to show potential as the lists of sales clearly prove.
Even clicks on some of my names have increased in the past couple of months. It is still early in the game for this niche, but I have not lost faith.

Get back on topic guys. The usual suspects are posting here with the same agenda as before. ie. to get the thread closed.

•••
Lets see what happens over the next few months. If the end users keep pushing the "3D" when they advertise then these domains will gain in value. If they lose the "3D" then people won't search for 3D.

I live in the Uk and I can tell you that almost every large retailer or supplier is pushing the 3D sig, so lets see.

•••
Lets see what happens over the next few months. If the end users keep pushing the "3D" when they advertise then these domains will gain in value. If they lose the "3D" then people won't search for 3D.

I live in the Uk and I can tell you that almost every large retailer or supplier is pushing the 3D sig, so lets see.
Everyone is pushing 3D, but nobody is actually selling 3D...

"3-D TV sales grow limp"
http://technology.canoe.ca/2010/10/14/15690196.html

The article also mentions that 41% of flat panels sold in 2014 may be 3D capable. Domainers holding out for critical mass are going to be holding for several years, maybe a decade.

i thought his site looked good , nothing wrong with being proactive when trying to sell your names , 3d or otherwise
I don't really have a problem with the site. If he believes those areas are great investments, then he can make sites to pump them all he wants.

The ridiculous part was putting the site behind whois guard and then presenting it to domainers as a third party opinion that we should buy his domains. He must think we are stupid.

•••
maybe 3D TV sales are limp because currently their arnt that many services broadcasting in 3D, the infrastructure isnt yet in place to accomodate it over the internet either. so .3D's are obviously a long-term investment

•••
I don't really have a problem with the site. If he believes those areas are great investments, then he can make sites to pump them all he wants.

The ridiculous part was putting the site behind whois guard and then presenting it to domainers as a third party opinion that we should buy his domains. He must think we are stupid.

I dont think he is trying to fool you , considering you have made it obvious you don't like 3d names why would he be trying to fool you ? what he does with his website really shouldn't worry anyone , i think the question is why are you looking into things like whois and then then openly commenting on them in a forum ......what is your agenda i wonder ???

•••

sky.com/shop/tv/3d/

3d.sky.com/pubfinder/

Considering their interest in 3D it makes you wonder why they are not using sky3d.com which they also own, it goes nowhere :rolleyes: :-/

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
3D domains are already starting to show potential as the lists of sales clearly prove.
Even clicks on some of my names have increased in the past couple of months. It is still early in the game for this niche, but I have not lost faith.

Get back on topic guys. The usual suspects are posting here with the same agenda as before. ie. to get the thread closed.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if the market has peaked in terms of speculator interest, and I really doubt anyone has made money when all the reg fees are added up. We are already getting the stories of families who have wasted thousands on 3d tv's in Australia. Expect dropfest in one years time.

Funny how one movie (avatar) can spur all this. From what I know of it the 3d revolutions was supposed to happen many times in the past, going back to the 1950's, then in the late 70's, again in the late 80's and again now. Every time it supposedly different, technology has advanced so far it is now really viable....ok.

I don't think anyone really wants to be sitting in front of their tv wearing glasses, I'm not sure they even want to see 3d images apart from the occasional novelty movie.

How about smellovision next?

Lastly I doubt anyone cares if the thread is closed or not.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

so .3D's are obviously a long-term investment

Same thing was said about 3g and voip domains. How long is long, wait 10years and hope for the best?

•••
3d is much accepted by the critical mass and this time around there is a whole new generation of gamers licking their lips at the prospect of playing games on their big screen 3d tvs , to write off 3d tv at this point is one of the sillier things i have read lately, we all know that this industry in in its infancy as many older tv shows are in the process of being converted to the 3d format to keep up with the demand for content , more and more sporting events are being screened in 3d as a sign of the times

As for this thread being closed down i am not too fussed either because i dont feel the need to convince anyone of my viewpoint but some of the predicable comments show strange reasons for being here in this thread

At the end of the day the sun will go down and come up again tomorrow so its all good in my part of the world

•••
Thats interesting about people having wasted money on 3d tvs in Australia, what is the problem there ? is it faulty equipment ?
I noticed on g00gle insights that most interest in 3d is shown as UK, Australia and Europe.

I may have posted this before, but my take on why the really big push on the term 3D has not happened yet is to allow manufacturers and retailers to deplete their stockpile of non-3D appliances. Sony say they are expecting the big times for 3D in the home will be 2012.

I agree with your prediction of dropfest come renewal time, but not because of the failure of 3D, it will be because newbies, and even established domainers, registered the wrong type of domains during the initial hype.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if the market has peaked in terms of speculator interest, and I really doubt anyone has made money when all the reg fees are added up. We are already getting the stories of families who have wasted thousands on 3d tv's in Australia. Expect dropfest in one years time.

Funny how one movie (avatar) can spur all this. From what I know of it the 3d revolutions was supposed to happen many times in the past, going back to the 1950's, then in the late 70's, again in the late 80's and again now. Every time it supposedly different, technology has advanced so far it is now really viable....ok.

I don't think anyone really wants to be sitting in front of their tv wearing glasses, I'm not sure they even want to see 3d images apart from the occasional novelty movie.

How about smellovision next?

Lastly I doubt anyone cares if the thread is closed or not.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Same thing was said about 3g and voip domains. How long is long, wait 10years and hope for the best?

•••
I agree with your prediction of dropfest come renewal time, but not because of the failure of 3D, it will be because newbies, and even established domainers, registered the wrong type of domains during the initial hype.

You are spot-on with that comment!

•••
Thats interesting about people having wasted money on 3d tvs in Australia, what is the problem there ? is it faulty equipment ?
I noticed on g00gle insights that most interest in 3d is shown as UK, Australia and Europe.

The story was about people who have been sold an expensive gimmick.

-Equipment that isn't practical to use.
-Limited content.
-Not something that people most would use regularly beyond the first week even if the above two problems were solved.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

3d is much accepted by the critical mass and this time around there is a whole new generation of gamers licking their lips at the prospect of playing games on their big screen 3d tvs , to write off 3d tv at this point is one of the sillier things i have read lately, we all know that this industry in in its infancy as many older tv shows are in the process of being converted to the 3d format to keep up with the demand for content , more and more sporting events are being screened in 3d as a sign of the times

As for this thread being closed down i am not too fussed either because i dont feel the need to convince anyone of my viewpoint but some of the predicable comments show strange reasons for being here in this thread

At the end of the day the sun will go down and come up again tomorrow so its all good in my part of the world

Real arguments please.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Beyond 3dglasses, 3dtv etc (obvious stuff that works) it is all wrong, 99.99% is names make little sense but people will hope will somehow become popular terms, eg 3dpastimes.com, 3dvirtualgoods.com, 3dtabletop.com, 3dminisites.com, why would people pay for names like that?

What is the hope here domainers will want mini sites developed where people need to buy special glasses to see the adsense ads?

•••
-Not something that people most would use regularly beyond the first week even if the above two problems were solved.

they said that about the early-internet.

allthough your intentions maybe good - it's a bit rude to run other peoples domains down in order to support your arguments :snaphappy:

•••
snoop your a tripper , the name of the thread is regarding 3d sales but as usual you try to bring down a thread in some way , sometimes your negative point of view can offer a different perspective , but it becomes a bit boring after a while, last reply because if you cant see that 3d tv is here as a reality you are wasting peoples time with your rants

•••
I'll let you know in a couple of years time, or sooner if I can develope the skills to time-travel or see into the future :p

The story was about people who have been sold an expensive gimmick.

-Equipment that isn't practical to use.
-Limited content.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Real arguments please.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Beyond 3dglasses, 3dtv etc (obvious stuff that works) it is all wrong, 99.99% is names make little sense but people will hope will somehow become popular terms, eg 3dpastimes.com, 3dvirtualgoods.com, 3dtabletop.com, 3dminisites.com, why would people pay for names like that?

What is the hope here domainers will want mini sites developed where people need to buy special glasses to see the adsense ads?

•••
the name of the thread is regarding 3d sales but as usual you try to bring down a thread in some way
Lets talk about naysayers here on NamePros.

Can you point to one example where naysayers descended upon a speculative thread and were ultimately proven wrong?

No, you can't. Because the naysayers have gotten it right 100% of the time.

This industry isn't that difficult. It is less of a risk to buy 100 $8 domains in existing popular areas than 100 $8 domains in a speculative market. You are going to lose your money almost every single time attempting to speculate domain names.

•••
you never answered why you are checking up on the whois of other peoples websites, perhaps just put your head back in the sand and stop jumping in on threads that you obviously have no real interest in

again i ask what is your agenda for acting like you do ?

•••
snoop your a tripper , the name of the thread is regarding 3d sales but as usual you try to bring down a thread in some way ,

It is regarding whether there "has there been any sales", ie it is asking for an opinion on how the niche is performing, I think the answer is not very well.

but it becomes a bit boring after a while, last reply because if you cant see that 3d tv is here as a reality you are wasting peoples time with your rants

I think the problem is that you want to hear a certain point of view, I'm not saying 3d tv is "not here" I'm suggesting the number of people thinking it is a fad seems to be growing.

If it was really "boring" you'd be asleep at your keyboard instead of replying to posts.

---------- Post added at 05:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 AM ----------

they said that about the early-internet.

Same thing was said about Reebok Pumps as well....Roll on the pointless analogies.

allthough your intentions maybe good - it's a bit rude to run other peoples domains down in order to support your arguments :snaphappy:

Agree, but I don't care about that. I'd rather go with the "good intentions" than be in the "don't say anything, he'll find out eventually" camp.

---------- Post added at 05:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 AM ----------

Can you point to one example where naysayers descended upon a speculative thread and were ultimately proven wrong?

I can't personally,

Lets think about all the widely speculated areas of the last 3-4 years,

LLLL.com and all the other copy cat ideas (NCCCN.com etc) - Massive bust
.Mobi - Massive bust
Mass Development Programs - Bust starting

Then going back a bit further,

wap domains - big bust
3g domains - big bust
voip domains - big bust
.web - its coming...not
new.net - is it even around still?
.cc/.ws/.tv - a lot of money lost

It think it is probably fair to say in domains that unless there is a business model right now then the area never works for those investing.

Maybe the only real exception is the people speculating with no plan in the very early days like 1994. Even then I'm not sure it was really anything like the pipe dreams of today.

•••
you never answered why you are checking up on the whois of other peoples websites
Because I am the creeper lurking in the shadows keeping notes on everyone. Maybe that is the answer you are looking for?

Considering the tweet and what was on the website, I think it was pretty self explanatory why I took at look at the whois.

Don't get your panties in a bundle just because I called out your playmate.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Maybe the only real exception is the people speculating with no plan in the very early days like 1994.
"Speculating with no plan." about sums up the so-called visionary domainers that people now worship.

I have to laugh every time I read one of them say how they knew before the boom that the internet was going to be huge so they bought a bunch of domains for future resale. Yeah, right.

I'll tel you how it went down, and it's a lot less glamorous than the stories they tell nowadays from their high horses.

In much the same way people stockpiled cool AOL/AIM and Yahoo screen names in the 90's, people with the money to do so did the same thing with domains. Both of them were big dick contests in their own way.

Of course, it didn't take long for the value of what they already owned to become obvious. That then justified paying the renewals. Many great domains would have been registered as a hobby activity, but the two year registrations gave ample time to move from merely "cool domain name" to "hey, this might be worth something!" That would make many early domain owners more akin to children collecting Mickey Mantle cards in the 50s rather than visionaries.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Go read the interviews with these guys on DNjournal or wherever. Their internet IQs are not all that high. Especially the ones who call themselves developers. Great domains, but their sites are terrible.

Last edited:
•••
Agree, but I don't care about that. I'd rather go with the "good intentions" than be in the "don't say anything, he'll find out eventually" camp.

thats very noble of you to save us disillusioned ones from our wasted reg fees & the possible perils of natural selection.

•••
This is supposed to be about sales...if you don't have any sales to report
please don't post for the sake of posting ;)

This whole page has nothing to do with the title, get it back on track!

•••
This is supposed to be about sales...if you don't have any sales to report
please don't post for the sake of posting ;)

This whole page has nothing to do with the title, get it back on track!
I agree totally. We had a report on Aus tv last night about cheap tv prices due to our current strong dollar, and yes, cheaper prices for 3d tv's were featured, so maybe it's not over yet!!!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back