IT.COM

Domain appraisal scam; Fleos.com Pozde.com Pedma.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I just got this email today and am wondering if it is a scam that trying to trick people using their paid appraisal service.

Here is the email:

Dear sir,

we are interested to buy your domain name AADITHYAUNIVERSE.COM and offer to buy it from you for 65% of the appraised market value.

As of now we accept appraisals from either one of the following leading appraisal companies:

sedo.com
pedma.com
accuratedomains.com

If you already have an appraisal please forward it to us.

As soon as we have received your appraisal we will send you our payment (we use Paypal for amounts less than $2,000 and escrow.com for amounts above $2,000) as well as further instructions on how to complete the transfer of the domain name.

We appreciate your business,

Thanks,

J. Roberts

I also posted my reply here so that you know where I am coming from:

Hi John,

Why are you interested in this domain? Do you happen to own one or both of the sites?

pedma.com
accuratedomains.com

No need for the appraisal, I will accept any reasonable offer you have.

Anthony

What do you think? Any sincere feedback will be appreciated.

Anthony

:gn:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
it is a scam.

i always like to respond by saying. "Feel free to get it appraised if you like" Any rational person that was interested in a domain would seek their own appraisal & would not necessarily make it public as they would want to get it cheaper than the appraisal price.

Scams like these happen all of the time. I am surprised though that they added Sedo to the list lol. I guess they are trying to look, more legit

•••
MattheP said:
Appraisal scam.. there were lots of threads about it on NP.

Ok thanks. That was what I figured.

Anthony

usa666 said:
it is a scam.

i always like to respond by saying. "Feel free to get it appraised if you like" Any rational person that was interested in a domain would seek their own appraisal & would not necessarily make it public as they would want to get it cheaper than the appraisal price.

Scams like these happen all of the time. I am surprised though that they added Sedo to the list lol. I guess they are trying to look, more legit

That is the trick. Adding Sedo makes it looks that the two appraisal services are comparable to Sedo. I think this trick was used in a different scam (not domain related) I received a while ago where the sender mixed the good links and the scam links together.

Thanks. Rep add to all.

Anthony

Anthony Sun said:
Ok thanks. That was what I figured.

Anthony

That is the trick. Adding Sedo makes it looks that the two appraisal services are comparable to Sedo. I think this trick was used in a different scam (not domain related) I received a while ago where the sender mixed the good links and the scam links together.

Thanks. Rep add to all.

Anthony

By the way, I recently got a "Domain SOLD" post (on my sticky sale thread) from someone (member: IsThatJose). The member is a newbie and only made that post since register. The domain was only $5, but he seems to disappeare after that post and had never honor the bid. I sent the memory two or three PM, but no reply.

Does anyone know what was the motivation behind this (assuming nothing bad happen to he/she that stop from from honor his hid)?

Anthony

•••
At least they are getting a bit more creative.

•••
neobodhi said:
At least they are getting a bit more creative.

Yeah. By the way, your turning "TaiChi logo" is drivinig me dizzy. :)

Anthony

•••
maybe it's worth to contact SeDo website and try to find out if that person is really doing business with them or not.
i'm suggesting sedo website out of those 3 you mentioned cause it's the one i'm using now and they're very professional for a long time now.

•••
•••
Yeah, I'd suspect they just added Sedo in there to look a little more legitimate; I think if you really did say you'd order one through Sedo they'd somehow manage to suggest you should use one of the others.

IMO the easiest way to figure out whether they're on the up and up is just to tell them to get an appraisal themselves and then offer to deduct the cost from the final sale price.

ripley.

•••
I'm gonna get trademark on "appraisalscam" and I will take down all of his domains :D

•••
Is AADITHYAUNIVERSE.COM a good name? The scammer could pick a better domain I have. The reason why I got this domain was because it was a PR3 - now is PR0. I would sell it for $10 to $15 if anyone is interested. (AADITHYAUNIVERSE.NET was used for an Indian IT company. Now it is redirected to www.e-datapro.net, also an IT company. It may still be the same company.)

Anthony

•••
They don't seem to discriminate based on the quality of the domain name, in my experience. I think they just scan new registrations and send out blast spams, hoping to catch a sucker or two. I guess it must work, since they keep doing it.

ripley.

•••
ripley said:
...... I think they just scan new registrations ........
ripley.

This may be partially correct as this domain was registered for 2 years.

I totally agree that they probably had success at least one or two times and that motivating them to continue their scam opeation.

In addition, whether people use their services or not, they may get traffic from curious recipients that visit their sites.

ripley said:
IMO the easiest way to figure out whether they're on the up and up is just to tell them to get an appraisal themselves and then offer to deduct the cost from the final sale price.

ripley.

That is a very good idea!

Anthony

•••
Received the exact same "SCAM" email as Anthony except for the name of the interested party. Mine was signed "Robert Smith" and the email address is "[email protected]".

My domain also started with "A" so maybe they are working their way through all registered domains alphabetically... :lol:

One other thing is that the email was sent to the previous contact email address I used for this domain and not its current whois contact email address.

Last edited:
•••
Anthony Sun said:

Anthony

Lol, at least it is not that little insect that crawls around. I can't tell you how many times I smacked my screen when I have seen that one.
:hehe:

I'm feeling a bit jealous, I don't seem to get any of these SPAM e-mails. I guess my names suck so bad they are not even worth spamming! :'( Either that or my junk mail filter catches them :hehe:

•••
TestCase said:
Received the exact same "SCAM" email as Anthony except for the name of the interested party. Mine was signed "Robert Smith" and the email address is "[email protected]".

My domain also started with "A" so maybe they are working their way through all registered domains alphabetically... :lol:

One other thing is that the email was sent to the previous contact email address I used for this domain and not its current whois contact email address.

I got the same one again, as TestCase got about 90 minutes after that first one.

Robert Smith [[email protected]]

I am now in there spam scam emailing list! :(

Anthony

neobodhi said:
Lol, at least it is not that little insect that crawls around. I can't tell you how many times I smacked my screen when I have seen that one.
:hehe:

I'm feeling a bit jealous, I don't seem to get any of these SPAM e-mails. I guess my names suck so bad they are not even worth spamming! :'( Either that or my junk mail filter catches them :hehe:

I would think that it was the later case. No name is more suck than "AADITHYAUNIVERSE.COM".

Anthony
P.S. I did see the insect crawling one before, but had forgotten who that is belong to.

•••
Anthony Sun said:

LOL, I think the Ying-Yang looks either out of balance or a little buckled. :o

•••
gazzip said:
LOL, I think the Ying-Yang looks either out of balance or a little buckled. :o

Crap, that is two votes against my ying-yang. I only use it because someone promised me they would buy a domain name if I made it my avatar :hehe: and paid for a domain appraisal :bingo: Don't make me mad or I will change it to that little bug avatar. D-: LOL

Last edited:
•••
Campanella

Yes, I got an email from a guy called Campanella offering $15,000 for a site I had advertised at $500. He wanted an appraisal even after I told him he could have it for $500. He directed me to a valuation site I hadn't heard of before. I email him with my suspicions and I never heard from him again. The Whois on the site he came from and the valuation write were protected.

•••
•••
Scams work better in times like this when sales are down, and domainers grow desperate.

•••
Received too, domain also beginning with 'a'.
Funny thing is- it's a really rubbish domain. Probably the second-worst one I own. market value is probably $10. I may reply and say the "market value is $10, however I'll instantly accept your offer of $6.50, no appraisal required." who knows- I may get a scammer to actually buy something!

•••
I got it too and my domain was aataxi.com - seems they are doing it strictly alphabetically!

Paul

PS Please checkout all my domains for sale at www.kenby.com

•••
Got it from [email protected] ... my domain was AboutSeychelles .... so he/they advanced to AB ....

I replied with something I cannot paste here though ... I advised him to appraise something else.

Everybody who get this email, at least take your time and reply a line or two. At least if many people waste their times, they will stop.

•••
This is a scam without a doubt!!

•••
Hello,

Yes, they are at "Ab" (About), going alphabetically :)

Here is mine I received today from [email protected]

Hello,
I came across your domain name ABOUTSTOCKPRICES.COM and I would be interested in buying it from you.
Here is my offer, you have to send me a professional appraisal from one of the following companies. and I will pay you 85% of the appraised price.
For payments under $2000 I prefer to use paypal. And for larger amounts of money I prefer if we used escrow.com

I accept appraisals from any of these companies:

-sedo.com
-pedma.com
-accuratedomains.com

If you already have an appraisal from one of those companies please forward it to me, and we will do business.

Regards,
James Johnson

I won't even reply....waste of time.

Paul

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back