NameSilo

The Line I Will Not Cross

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I think it is kind of sorrowful that the .com .org .info .us , etc... for the domain name VirginiaTechMassacre has been registered, and that the .com is apparently a for profit site - at least that's the way it looks to me.

Somebody out there is a sick, sick person, IMO.

So, there are still bodies being pulled from buildings, and someone is trying to make money off of them.

The .org looks like a memorial site, at least.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
fonzie_007 said:
That is a serious time-waster, but a great read! A-holes beware... you could be the next Charlie Wenzel.
Somebody just hand me the cliff notes. My God, I am laughing myself silly from the parts I did read.

Was he a member on one of these forums, Denny or something like that? That picture looked so familiar.

Wow, 74 pages of just outright flaming! Hillarious!!!

•••
circa1850 said:
Somebody just hand me the cliff notes. My God, I am laughing myself silly from the parts I did read.

Was he a member on one of these forums, Denny or something like that? That picture looked so familiar.

Wow, 74 pages of just outright flaming! Hillarious!!!
Here's a post that sums it up pretty well (post #1637):

While many people claim this is about the $25 that Charles tried to extort from the buyer, it is not. It is not even about the $115 that the buyer paid. Charles tries to claim that it is between him and the buyer, but it is not. It is not really about Charles lies about the part being new when in fact it is used, as he has been forced to admit. What is it about? It is about a person who is so arrogant and stupid that he does not know that it is insane to try to rip off a person in a community, he does not know when the jig is up and that he has been caught and have enough sense to shut up. When a person commits a crime, fraud in this case, as well as perhaps attempted extortion, that person harms everyone. The trust between all buyers and sellers are reduced and it makes sales more difficult.

Charles was asked to send a postal money order, but instead sends one from 7-11, which according to their web page can take 30 days or so to really clear, so this will not be ending anytime soon. If Charles had any sense at all he would have sent funds which are far more certain, like cash, a cashier's check, postal money order, etc. He should still do that to ensure that aspect ends asap, but I doubt that he will have enough sense to do that.

If Mike still has the money order it would be a good idea to copy it and call and check to make sure that it has not been reported lost or stolen and also to let them know what is going on, just in case Charles decides to continue to be stupid.

Charles Wenzel dug himself a hole and this was not just an ordinary hole because on top is an outhouse for all the world to come and visit. He sits at the bottom of this pit yelling, threatening and insulting people, trying to demand that they go away. Then he thinks that he can issue a fake apology with threats and then edit it and hope that will also go away all the while he continues to say stupid things, making threats and harassing people. Charles has made himself the poster boy for all of the Internet scams and fraud. I personally think that this has reached critical mass and poor Charley Wenzel is at ground zero. There is no one person which can stop this, but good ol' Charley thinks that he can try to convince people to call all of this off. Even if the entire thread was removed, I am sure that it would pop up somewhere else.

Charlie is so stupid that he keep harassing Mike and his wife, as if they have control of all the people. I hope they report him to the police since his behaviour is unacceptable. The only way the calls are going to stop is to change the phone number, so he needs to get used to it or get a new number!!!

Round and round it goes, when it will stop nobody knows!!!

•••
Charles Wenzel dug himself a hole and this was not just an ordinary hole because on top is an outhouse for all the world to come and visit.
I would love to know who found this and how. This is one of the funniest threads I have read. And what a line...that deserves to be in a movie!

Even if the entire thread was removed, I am sure that it would pop up somewhere else.
What a prophet!

•••
Circa - the redirecting of domains is a good idea..

I own some "disaster" type domain, but in my case I was directly affected by the tragedy. I'm not profiting from the domains.

I graduated from Columbine in 1999. If you ever heard of me relating to that it's because I did a couple of interviews at the very beginning and I ran the fantasy baseball league Dylan was a part of.

I never accepted any money for interviews for photos or anything.

The media hounded me for weeks despite my efforts to avoid them.

I have DylanKlebold.org. ColumbineHighSchool.org ColumbineAlumni.com .org and 4-20-1999.com

I would like to organize something beneficial, although I was torn on getting involved with turning the local park into a memorial, so I didn't redirect to or attempt to raise money for the memorial.

The profiting of domains from disasters reminds me of the person who bought Dylan Klebold's car in an auction unknowingly, then sold it for a massive profit after he found out what he had.

I called and emailed the guy explaining my stance and the community viewpoint, but it didn't matter, he didn't care that he was exploiting the tragedy. I don't think he donated one cent of the money to anything charitable.

One more domain related note to this: I ran the fantasy website online. It received thousands of hits in a matter of days, however I took down the website as it became out of control and a magnet for attention. At the beginning the ONLY thing that came up when one googled dylan klebold was a standings page from my site. All of our phone numbers were on it, the message board got bombarded, It was too much.

Negative press on domains will only hurt us, so it may be best to not shine the spotlight on the people unethically attempting to make a quick profit from this horrible tragedy at Virginia Tech.

Last edited:
•••
I appreciate your input, thoughts, concern, and views from a historical and first hand account perspective.

I do not feel that I am shining a light on any of this except right here on this forum and with the folks at Virginia Tech. That is the only two places this has been discussed.

I did not do this for notariety. Am I the only one doing this? Thankfully no. I know of at least two other domainers that are doing the same thing. I am not sure if they are members of this forum. I do not believe they are.

And this was not even my idea. From a business perspective and one who has the capability and means to to this, I thought it was a great idea to help take many of the domains out of circulation.

The only reason I mentioned this from the onset is several people on this thread are posting the owners of domains from the WHOIS databases. Some of those registrants are getting phone calls from members of this forum. After seeing all the negative comments here, I wanted to caution people to exercise judgement and not to be so quick to jump to conclusions. The domains I registered and redirected are in my company's name and address. I didn't relish the fact that this info would be published and subjected to hate mail or phone calls. So far, so good.

From what I understand and from what I have read here and on other forums, these people are getting so bombarded with phone calls that they have made their numbers unlisted. But the WHOIS is still published. Added to that, it appears pressure has been placed on GoDaddy and Google and some of the parking companies that many of the names are now blocked.

Here is an example:
Ismailax.com

This domain name was parked at NameDrive and at last count on Tuesday, the day these words came out, received more than 550,000 hits. I have not checked but more than likely he now has privacy added. But that is way too late. Everything about the registrant is posted in so many places.

I think between three of us doing registering domains names and redirecting them, we have managed to take about 100 highly searched keyword domains out of circulation and redirected to VT's memorial fund.

If you will notice, I have not published a list of these names for that very reason...to not bring light onto a sensitive issue and domainers in general. If someone happens to search for a certain keyword or term, they will end up at the memorial fund site. The negative light is on those that have done such for personal gain. The press is and has been all over this for a couple of days now.

The negative press is already out there. En masse. Fox news and several others reported this long before it was posted on these boards.

As mentioned, Virginia Tech is getting bombarded with emails from all over the world. Sorrow, support, mourning, and sales pitches. The first email I got from them this morning was a form letter rejecting a sales pitch. When I contacted them again, the director of the site and foundation personally contacted me to thank me and apologized. As soon as he saw domain names in the email, out went the form letter they composed.

Here is part of the second email from VT:

Thank you for clarifying. We’ve received literally thousands of emails, including dozens from people who have purchased domains, and it’s easy to pass over details such as the ones you have. We appreciate you beating the squatters and redirecting to our website.

I made a decision to do something or to contribute as I thought would have the most immediate and greatest impact and that is the decision I and a couple of other domainers made.

Should this ever come to light, I think it would shed a "positive light" on what domainers can do. And it does come down to a more personal level than being a domainer. I do not domain for a living. I am in the medical profession, I am a business man, and I domain for the fun (sometimes its fun...).

Did I make the right decision?

We appreciate you beating the squatters and redirecting to our website.

Last edited:
•••
circa1850 said:
Did I make the right decision?

If you answer yes, then that's all the answer you need.

•••
Dave Zan said:
If you answer yes, then that's all the answer you need.
My answer was and is yes.

•••
Dave zen,

oh.. if more people had your maturity. Thats the way to peace. Trouble is karma is only experienced thru the eyes of one person at a time. Many people do not understand a forced choice is not a good choice.

Lets hope the news media does not mention how domainers are profiting from tragedy. This is very silly.

•••
•••
alexsimon said:
Wow... that took me more than an hour to read... but really deserved it.
We should Charlie Wenzel this guy! :laugh: Warning: addictive offsite thread. Well worth the time you'll spend reading it and a life lesson for some to learn.
[/QUOTE]

Serious time-waster...Boy, did he piss off the wrong crowd...imagine a thousand 4x4 types getting at you..

Now his name will be forever smeared on the Internet. Has to find an employer that doesn't know what Google is...

•••
Josh_1 said:
Now his name will be forever smeared on the Internet. Has to find an employer that doesn't know what Google is...
Based on the sound of it, the kid is a little sh*t. I'm guessing he's been fed from a silver spoon for much of his life... maybe he's got a nice trust fund set up for him so he won't have to work. Who knows, but after the way he handled things on that thread, he is not only unethical and stupid, but down right a plain jackass. Charlie Wenzel, one can only hope you get smarter (you should have spent your college money on college rather than that truck that screams: "Look at me, I've got a small wiener!".

•••
Now his name will be forever smeared on the Internet. Has to find an employer that doesn't know what Google is...[/QUOTE]Funny, funny stuff. And aren't we just perpetuating the claim that he will live on forever on the internet.

fonzie_007 said:
Charlie Wenzel, one can only hope you get smarter (you should have spent your college money on college rather than that truck that screams: "Look at me, I've got a small wiener!".
A Wenzel Wiener.

Last edited:
•••
Just did a search and found out that charliewenzel.com is registered, but the others are available.
I still think if it is a good idea to register charliewenzel.info. The guy would deserve a site about him. Anyway if you want then reg it. I will not have time and ability to develop.
Cheers,
Alex

•••
Someone used to have the .info registered. I believe there was a developed site on it for a while and then the domain must have dropped.

Wenzel wiener... I has a nice ring to it.

•••
Guys, this is simply an issue of ethics and business. Everyone has different ethics. Don't harrass them.

Don't force your standards onto others.

Last edited:
•••
We should all thank dsotmoon here for unleashing charlie on NP. :)

There was an ONLINE STORE selling defaming coffee mugs, tshirts, and the like for about six months. Could you just image...an online store selling your face on a fraud mug! OMG :laugh: :'( :laugh:
fonzie_007 said:
Someone used to have the .info registered. I believe there was a developed site on it for a while and then the domain must have dropped.

Wenzel wiener... I has a nice ring to it.

•••
Just for clarification, and not to throw stones.... More to make us think about where we all are.

Some others who profit directly/indirectly from disasters?

ABC
NBC
CBS
CNN
FOX
YAHOO
MSN

Certainly they are not registering names everytime something awful happens. But there is a way they seem to perk up when a 24 hour news event happens. Has no one noticed they try to use the most radical hooks to keep viewers stuck to their station?

The whole thing is pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Not offering answers, just more questions.

:(

Last edited:
•••
A weasel yes but.....

Guys -

I would personally not register names associated with that massacre but that is me personally.

Nonetheless, America was built on the principles of freedom, as long as the pursuit of that freedom is not infringing on someonelse's rights. So it is a moral issue really. Whilst disagreeing with it, I respect his legal right to register it and profit from it. Not sure if legal right are the right words to use here but anyways....

There are far worst things happening each day on tv etc than registering a name like that. All those weight loss products, all those big pharmaceutical companies that push products that in many cases kill people or hurt them rather than help, all those bizopp opportunities that don't make money but take money from the old ladies with the pension etc etc.

Yeah, the guy is definitely a weasel for wanting to profit from this...no question but there is a way to deal with this.

Don't buy the name, don't click on the ads.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I think giving the guys address is wrong. Do you guys have any idea how many nuts are out there?

I once listed a relief name in Ebay and I actually got death threats for doing it. I will bet money this guy gets plenty of those now. Maybe he is a newbie. Is it fair he has to move now? How would you really feel if you had found out a newbie thought that the name was a good one to register. Then he gets brutally beaten or even dies from his attack, all because some person was disgusted.

Another thing, somewhere down the road a movie will be made out of this. Maybe you will own stocks in the movie company. Don't think people will pay to watch this? Not my cup of tea, but the movie company will look at it like another investment oppourtuntiy and the movie will gross millions. Might not be for ten years but they may want to buy a domain name describing this terrible tragedy.

Even the President is getting in on the action from the publicity by making comments on it. Yeah sure he is sick to his heart, the same President who lied to get us and the world into a war and deliberatly put our troops in harms way with over three thousand of them having persihed.

Newspapers will benefit by selling millions more copies as it is something everyone wants to read. The radio stations will get many more advertising dollars as more people will be glued to radio news as this unfolds. What about the resturants and coffee places and the motels and hotels in this town. They are busy now with reporters and looky lews. Are they donating those rooms, meals, flowers, gravesites, air flights?

If you were reporting this news and you had original news or pictures you would sell that infomation to the highest bidder.

Even undertakers will profit from this. I am in the florist industry and I know that flower orders are coming in from all parts of the world. How dare them profit from such a tragedy you say? I will bet you they are making more money than they ever have. Hundreds and hundreds many more times the money. Sure they can be sad at the same time they are taking wheelbarrows of money to the bank. Thats life I suppose, like it or hate it.

Lets get real here. Shaming other domainers who register legal names does this industry harm. If the name is a legal name, such as a person's name or an event that happened or a sex name and you have different opinions, well that is tough, it is not against the law and that is the domain business.

Personally I would not want any name like that myself, but that is my own view.

Free chioce is the adult way to view such ideals. Your choice is your choice, your expecting others to make your choice too is very controlling. To give a news media a way to shabbily report that domainers are a uncaring bunch who only want to profit from tragedy is a poor choice.

Many more people died today because some drivers have a cell phone glued to their ears while driving, then died at that college. I guess we are sensitive to certain deaths and desensitive to more common ones.

I really do hope this person can protect themself now that others know the address.

•••
goodkarma- 2 things, one I agree some idiot movie company is probably already scoping out the rights for the movie, and it will probably come out within 2-3 years. I find it repulsive, and I don't support movies like that. Two, please don't take cheap shots at the President, this isn't a political thread, and you are pushing an adjenda that I don't agree with.

•••
Lets get real here. Shaming other domainers who register legal names does this industry harm. If the name is a legal name, such as a person's name or an event that happened or a sex name and you have different opinions, well that is tough, it is not against the law and that is the domain business.
With all the negative press...newspapers, magazines, blog, even prime time television...reporting on this, it is apparent that it is the domainers (legitimate season pros as well as newbies) who are shaming the industry.

Let's do get real here...many of us have shot our selves in the foot over this issue. Those of us who did not take a shot at the regging have had our feet shot out from under us.

Reports indicate a flood of domain name registration related to this incident never seen before and far surpassing the previous record of Katrina domains.

Do you not think that all the negative publicity is going to have an affect and effect on the domain industry as a whole?

It don't think it is about you or me or several other members on here. But I know I for one am damn glad I do not rely on domaining or PPC for a living.

If anyone ever thought ICANN was doing a shitty job at policing registrars and domaining in the past, I have a feeling in the very near future you will be hearing more and more about ICANN and the need to place tighter controls in place. Or a more serious look at a new form of regulations enacted or even a new regulatory agency (quite possibly under government control) thanks to the countless scams and fraudulent donor sites being set up with these domains.

And lets not overlook or understate something else here...ICANN's fleeing to set up it's headquarters in Switzerland to escape prosecution in the RegFly debacle and other matters. Way to hang in there ICANN.

And VeriSign does what? did what? has what affect?

I fear that this is out of our control now because it is out of control. For those that may think I am crying wolf then by all means bookmark these statements and re-visit this thread in a year.

Every major catastrophe lately has been followed up with a federally appointed commission which investigate all aspects to the act, the aftermath, and the problems associate with the matter. I have never seen so much press regarding domain names in all my years of being involved.

Not one word of it is good and not one word of it is false.

Last edited:
•••
So because it's putting a bad name on domain names? Well now, lets report all the adult domain names then shall we.

•••
Sedo and Namedrive both pulled/blocked the name ismailax.com from their parking.
Should they and other parking companies consider pulling all offensive/sensitive/controversial names as well?
Do a search on Sedo and you will find words relating to:
Murder
Rape
Child Porn
Ethnic Slurs
Porn
ect...

•••
The comparison of some turd to a legit news org who sends their reporters into harms way to get a the wolrd news is just fallacious. Fallacious and lame.

How about I register your moms name when she dies and I hawk trinkets and crap so I can make a few bucks. Is that OK? If so, PM me moms name and age. If you want you can include her hobbies. Maybe I'll theme the site.

{edit}Mom has to have died a tragic death, like a car accident or slip and fall...a quick moving disease will also be considered{/edit}

You see, it is all about leaving blood money on the table. God damn bottom feeders... Who cares who is doing what. You have to have a reading on your own moral compass.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back