Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
What’s your name?
A: Roy Varner

Where do you live?
A: Odessa FL (but a Texan at heart)

What’s your level of expertise?
novice, intermediate, expert, etc.
A: Between novice and intermediate in terms of valuing and selling domains.

How much experience do you have in the domain industry?
A: Started collecting domains in 1999, sold a few through whois inquiries over time, and now have about 40 domains to sell. Have been studying Domain Name Academy videos, started using their Excel valuation checklist, and am wide open to learn the business from other domainers.

What would you like to specifically learn first?
A: How to value domains -- still unsure on that process -- and then best places/ways to sell them.

Are you currently working on any projects or ideas?
A: Yes, currently studying sites so I can list my domains in the right places, based on each domain's type and marketplace. Have current offers for a couple of domains and am not sure my price is right, so they're my immediate focus.

What are your short-term goals in the next year?
A: Sell most of my current domains , about half of them 2 keywords and the other half brandable names (some I made up). Hoping to generate $50,000 in sales during the next year from my current list, plus start buying others to sell in the future.

What are your long-term goals in the next 5 years?
A: Make a living flipping domains, plus develop some as web businesses to grow and sell. Hope to find partner(s) for this work, or at least make friends to share info and growth -- more fun than working alone.

What was your first domain you purchased?
A: Probably a version of my name, and then AMatterofRisk.com and RaiseARussianSub.com, relating to a book I wrote in 1978 about a major CIA mission (Random House), none of them for resale. I bought a group of maybe 50 domains from 1999-2000, most with plans to build websites, and I don't remember which was first.

Why did you start investing in domains? Please tell us the story.
A: A friend tried to get me interested about 1997 or so when fees were $50/year/domain. Some time later I heard of some big sales and decided to dive in. A mentioned above, I was thinking more of building a whole series of web sites as online businesses, and so I chose names that would work well for that purpose. Wasn't thinking about which types might sell as investment domains (wish I had!).

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks to everybody for your welcomes. Apparently I've found a group of people who care for each other and understand that sharing and growing together is a lot better and more satisfying than going it alone. Hope to contribute ideas along the way that will be useful to all of you.

•••
•••
•••
•••
@Roy Varner welcome. Look forward to seeing your participation here

•••
Thanks, folks, appreciate the welcome. Glad to be in the group.

•••
Welcome!
P.S. you are a real veteran in this business, indeed!

•••
•••
•••
Hi Roy, I'm also new in domain flipping. I have digital marketing agency background. Nice to be a member on this forum.

•••
•••
Welcome to NamePros. This is a great place to network :)

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back