Dynadot

Mini-site experiment

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Because of other projects I have been neglecting my mini-site development but stumbled across Drupal at www.Drupal.org while looking for a replacement to Joomla which has such a tough learning curve.
After looking at some of the things others are doing I decided to give it a shot using Drupal at www.DodgeTurbo.us.

In addition to Drupal I use a (free) rss script from www.neoprogrammers.com for building the news feeds.

Drupal +'s -- easy to learn, built in forum, easy to allow registered users to contribute content via 'my blog' should the site take off, easy to create SE friendly URL's and can be installed from cPanel

Drupal -'s -- not a large selection of templates, terms are a bit strange sometimes not as 'rich' as some of the other CMS packages but...

I would like some input from y'all such as good, bad, ugly or who cares or...

This took me about a day to modify a template to my liking and about 3 hours to populate with the current content not counting sitting and thinking time. I will be adding more stuff but the hard part is done. The thing I like about this is that in a flash content can now be added, deleted or moved. Off to submit to SE's and scatter some links about.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes point taken - but I'm not - I was using the form on your site.

•••
advaita said:
Yes point taken - but I'm not - I was using the form on your site.

ok, well anyway, PM me, email us or use the form on the site and I assure you of a response. :)

And sorry for the temporary hijacking of the thread guys, my bad, normal service will be resumed shortly .

•••
As starter of this thread I feel qualified to say this.

Lets make an effort to keep it constructive and not become a pi**ing contest. Don't mind getting off topic but...

Badger,
Nice looking parking templates.

I have a few names at 1plus. I am starting to get a few hits and a click or 2. They are all new names with no past history/traffic so not to bad after a couple weeks. And I still need to tweak them some more.

•••
Artful,

Do you (or anyone else) have any idea of the aproximate size of your mini-sites from PPC-Sites.com?

How many of these mini-sites can I have if I sign up to a Hosting plan with 200-250 Gb in space and 2000-2500 Gigs of Data Transfer, even taking into consideration that they can be expanded upon.

Thanks

•••
GILSAN said:
Artful,

Do you (or anyone else) have any idea of the aproximate size of your mini-sites from PPC-Sites.com?

How many of these mini-sites can I have if I sign up to a Hosting plan with 200-250 Gb in space and 2000-2500 Gigs of Data Transfer, even taking into consideration that they can be expanded upon.
Thanks
I haven't actually done the math but you don't have anything to worry about in that regard. If you ever owned enough mini sites or received enough visitors to test those limits, you'll be making enough cash that it'll be of little concern. You'll gladly get a dedicated host at that point.

Hosting videos is another story. Even then, you'd need a lot of visitors to exhaust your bandwidth limits.

-Bill

Last edited:
•••
Im with Bill on this one. I have around 100 projects on my server which is about the same specs are yours Gilsan and the PPC-Sites ones are very minimal.

•••
GILSAN said:
Artful,

Thanks
I now have 4 PPC-Sites and they range in size from 6.2 to 7.5 MB and about 650 files. So, you could have about 260 sites in 200 GB of space.

•••
Thanks,
That clarifies my question. Now I have to decide were to Host.

I´m still undecided on the following: Lunarpages, Hostmonster ixwebhosting and Godaddy.

Good luck with your mini-sites.

Thanks.

•••
GILSAN said:
Thanks,
That clarifies my question. Now I have to decide were to Host.

I´m still undecided on the following: Lunarpages, Hostmonster ixwebhosting and Godaddy.

Good luck with your mini-sites.

Thanks.
You might also consider: HostGator and PowWeb, especially if you will have multiple sites.

•••
Thought I would throw out an end of the month update.
Both DodgeTurbo.us and DubaiFestival.info

Over 300 uniques for DodgeTurbo and enough clicks to justify continuing. Some referrals from Google & MSN.

Near 400 uniques for DubaiFestival and also enough clicks to justify continuing. Also had referrals from both Google and MSN.

<rant>I am frustrated regarding content. Of 4 people (NP mambers) who contacted me regarding content only 1 followed through and was promptly paid. I thought an agreement had been struck on Dubai content but suddenly communication ceased (I had agreed to the price). 3 others did not reply to my responses to their PM's.</rant>
Ahhhhh I feel much better now.

Enough sites each returning a small profit finally starts adding up.

I think this is interesting. In looking over stats for the month I see that 1 site earned high $XX with an average of $0.719/click.

•••
i wish i had your luck lol

http://www.dodgeturbo.us/ e a nice site although i think you could change the site logo.... the ad placement e great.... and the adsa showing catched my eye :)

•••
lordzeus said:
i wish i had your luck lol

http://www.dodgeturbo.us/ e a nice site although i think you could change the site logo.... the ad placement e great.... and the adsa showing catched my eye :)
You may be right. I freely admit to not being good at logo design. Was wanting to give a sense of speed/power.

Just checked my Amazon account for the month. I have no sites closely related to DVD's but had several sales of HD DVD titles. Might bode well for those with entertainment type mini-sites.

•••
Thought I would throw out an update. It appears that Google is dancing and/or engaging in a PR update as I have been seeing some adjustment on several of my sites the last few days.

Specifically, for a couple of my mini-site experiments - as of a few minutes ago today;
www.DodgeTurbo.us is showing a PR3 and www.DubaiFestival.info is showing a PR4. I hope it holds. They are producing enough results to continue. I have contracted with a person to write a dozen articles for the Dubai site and everything provided so far passes the uniqueness test with flying colors. I have to tweak the style some (I think English is not the writers first language) but the content provided is very good. Saves me lots of time.

<edit>
WOW, this update seems to be very kind to me indeed;
www.HoldemPlay.com - from PR0 to PR3 - online since March 8, 2007
www.RobertsPokerRules.com - from PR3 to PR4
www.RosevillePottery.info - from PR3 to PR4
http://www.HiQFormmail.com/smforum/ - support forum for my formmail script PR4
www.ZuneBuzz.com - down to PR4 from a 5 but to be expected as I don't 'work' it.
</edit>

Last edited:
•••
clocker24 said:
I have downloaded XSitePro on the recommendation of a very experienced friend and I'll be using that to build minsites.

An excellent choice, it is a very powerful software and I have been using this for over 2 years. The only problem as you will find out eventually is that it only creates static pages and when you have sites that have a dozen or more pages it becomes difficult to update them, more so when you have even more sites built on that platform.
I had initially tried to overcome this problem of stale content by outsourcing the updates to be done on a monthly basis, but as the number of sites grew, the amount I had to pay for updates also went up.
Don't get me wrong, the software is as powerful as it as advertised, but the only way to really harness its full capability is to use it in conjunction with other software that will assist in injecting fresh content into your sites with the least bit of effort and Cost.
I'm not suggesting you get these software immediately but rather to objectively analyze how it will work for you over the course time, say in a year when you have many sites. How will you update all these sites at that time?

clocker24 said:
In the meantime, I've created about a dozen one-page minisites using a simple HTML table. I created the banner images myself, and - I think this is the key - I wrote the articles myself. Each site took me a couple of days to create because I did the research and wrote original content. I tried to create genuinely informative and useful articles, not just a string of keywords.

They actually look good and ideal fom visitor clicks, but I hope you don't intend to keep them as single page sites. At least keep you sites update once in awhile, every week preferably. If Google all of a sudden dumps your only page into the supplements, your whole site is gone from the SERPS! Just a caution.

clocker24 said:
Lower down on the pages I have Adsense referral links and the Adsense search bar, but I've earned very little from those. I've also tried adding affiliate links to Clickbank products, with little luck so far. I plan to experiment with some other advertising and affiliate strategies.

When trying to pimp CB products, you have to ensure that what you are promoting is at least in the same category of your site or of the same context. Visitors to your site likely went there because they a keyword(s) from the SE's interested them, so you should also promote CB products that are of the same niche. No point promoting high commission products that don't fit into the niche of your site, they won't be interested. If your site is about dating push the CB dating products only.

clocker24 said:
This strategy will only work for you if you have the time and ability to write original content, or if you can pay someone to do it for you.

Hmmm... main point is time, when you have hundreds of these sites, creating content yourself will pose a huge problem, been there already... Fortunately other than freelance copywriters there is PLR and public domain articles around (gutenberg.org for those who don't know where to get public domain articles.) Of course just dumping these into your content takes up a lot of time copy pasting and won't work that well in terms of time but then there is a software ware out there that can do this for you and it even has a free version available and actually has a direct plugin to Xsite Pro which you already have. It will automatically place the content into your XsitePro Project with 1 click (literally). (Edit: well I'm not sure the free version does but the paid version certainly does)

clocker24 said:
I strongly believe that using canned, duplicated content (like PPC sites does) is asking for trouble.

If left untouched in its original state, Yes, it will be pulled into the supplemental pages, however if you make the content unique by adding a few lines of commentaries per article, then it may be listed in the SE index. If you even target a slight variation of the keyword from the original article you can actually rank higher on the SERP's than the original site the articles came from. If you play your cards right, Google will even make your site the authority and actually push the original source into the supplements, hehe.. yes it can and does happen.
It goes back to my original statement of static content, if you are able to keep your sites dynamic, the SE's will love you and rank you higher. But manually doing so for each page is a time consuming task so actually an investment in a good software that can do this for you works better in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
clocker24 said:
Hark, you've got a lot of varied content on your minisites, but what's the CTR like? That's the bottom line. What sort of CTR are you getting on them?
I really don't pay much attention to CTR except the affiliate stuff but even then in a general way.
What I do is watch the bottom line. If a site generates some multiple of reg fee on a yearly basis then I figure it is worth keeping. For sites where the topic interests me this can be as little as 5x and for others I like to see 15 - 20x at least. My top site is on track to pay somewhere around 200x this year. This is from Adsense only. Added revenue from other sources is just gravy as I have yet to learn how to be successful with affiliate programs.

Nice stuff unholy1.

•••
unholy1, thanks for your comments, I will consider them carefully. I had in fact planned to develop the sites using Xsitepro, not just leave them as one pagers. By developing them I can, for example, instead of having one page about student loans, I can have a general website about loans with individual pages targeting specific loan types.

And hark, thank you for sharing your experience.

•••
Is it just me hark, or your domains dont resolve? I am trying to see what they look like.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back