NameSilo

Defined "developed"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I always see domain appraisals with for example

$40 undeveloped, more if developed.

Fair enough, the logic is simple, sell it with a good site already there attracting visitors and you get more.

I then read people posting domains for sale at $100 and being classed as "developed".

I click through to the site and all there is an invision board basic install with some forums and no members :-/

Not trying to bash anyone but do people really consider that developed, and are willing to pay 2,3 or 4 times as much to buy it.

I think not, so what does everyone consider developed?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Originally posted by Kings
No, a website doesn't have to be already profitable to be successful. However, the potential to be profitable has to be there.

So IYO if a site is built for non-profit, it cannot be considered developed.

If you launch a website you described above, and 100 visitors come to it in a week, I still wouldn't consider it developed. If it continues (e.g each week you get 100 visitors, and each week the number increases), then I would say it's developed.

Ok, then there is a specific time that a site must be online for it to be considered developed IYO? What about same situation as above, and I get 10 hits a week for a full year. Then is it developed?

•••
I dont think we will come to an agreement here :)

Theres developed and theres established, they arnt the same.

Mike

•••
Originally posted by Kings
No, a website doesn't have to be already profitable to be successful. However, the potential to be profitable has to be there. That's pretty much the reason why a developed domain sells for more, imo.

If you launch a website you described above, and 100 visitors come to it in a week, I still wouldn't consider it developed. If it continues (e.g each week you get 100 visitors, and each week the number increases), then I would say it's developed.

However, as you get more visitors, you will most likely alos have to tweak your website, improve it (based on most likely suggestions by your visitors)..etc. After you've done that all, you've "developed" it, and I'd consider it to be completely developed. Then the domain would have a much higher value as well.

I think we are confusing apples and oranges here. A developed website is a site that contains active working pages period. There is no traffic and it is ready to me marketed.

Your definition of "Developed" is more along the lines of "Established"

From what I have read, you are saying that a "Developed Site" has traffic and is listed in the Search Engines. Yet, traffic and SE listings are fairly easy to acheive.

In theory you could build a site and within six weeks have traffic, hundreds or thousands of backlinks and be listed in all the major SE's and have a decent PR.

Does this make the site worth more? Not really because it is likely not quality traffic or Backlinks.

•••
The problem here is that the world wide web is forever in flux, not a static and easily defineable entity. For instance, if Coolhost developed a rash (hehe isn't pickign on coolhost fun? D-: ), then there's not going to be a whole lot of arguments (unless people really want to get philisophical). The rash was developing until the point when coolhost actually had a rash at which point the rash was developed.

Ok so websters defines develop as
To bring from latency to or toward fulfillment
Ok so developed occurs at the point of fulfillment. If the web is forever in flux can a website ever be developed?

Maybe it's better to just think of web development as a process:
(1) Research, (2) Strategy, (3) Implementation, (4) Reporting, and (5) Modification and Innovation.

Once a website hits 5, it's has been developed and goes back to number 1. Whether it still requires work or not is irrelevant, namely it has been developed. Like -rj- and a few others have mentioned, just because it has been developed, doesn't mean it was done well. *shrugs*

•••
very nice reply chris. so nice it became post of the day!! congrats. I like that process.

•••
•••
•••
Originally posted by Elefekt
very nice reply chris. so nice it became post of the day!! congrats. I like that process.

finally!now I know what a POTD looks look! a battle between
English language masters:lol:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back