Domain Empire

question Use the domain for blogging until it's sold?

Spaceship
Watch

Leo2k

Established Member
Impact
Is it a good idea to blog using a domain that I have put on sale (with content relevant to the domain name / industry).

If the domain doesn't get sold or get a good price, I will continue to blog on it.

If it's sold, I will use a different domain name for that site.

Does this sound a good idea? Or will that make the potential buyer loose the interest in the domain name?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You can always flip blogs for a profit. No one stopping you to....,

•••
Upvote 0
Waste of time. If it sells you lose all the SEO juice. Only a small percentage of buyers care about SEO value and bigger chance your content turns potential buyers off.

If you want to build a blog to sell do that.

If you want to sell a domain do that.

•••
Upvote 0
As long as your not spending thousands for SEO for the blog it might be ok. However, it would make more sense to use a domain you plan to keep and sell the domain by itself unless you want to include a blog in purchase deal.

•••
Upvote 0
It can go either way, depending on the blog. I suppose you have to weigh the effect the blog might have in painting a picture of what the DN can be used for.

At the same time many buyers never bother typing in the url anyways they just find the domain on whatever marketplace it's listed at and go from there. We like to think a proper lander aids in "showcasing" the domain so a good/bad blog would have the same result with one difference: it could confuse the buyer in thinking that the listing may not be legitimate because the domain is in use.

•••
Upvote 0
it could confuse the buyer in thinking that the listing may not be legitimate because the domain is in use.
That's a good point

•••
Upvote 0
That works, as long as you don't take an obvious tm such as Bloomberg(.ai) and post pictures of your cat whose name is ... Bloomberg.

•••
Upvote 0
consider using a subdomain for the blog. this way to root domain can still resolve to a lander while still benefiting from any backlinks to the blog.

•••
Upvote 0
Just as a 'Showcase House' is a common way to sell a house, putting contextual content on a domain until sold beats the alternatives.

I put contextual videos on my premium domains for sale, and direct traffic from other names in the category to those sub-domain 'showcase sites'.

This improves 'page rank', and you don't "lose SEO juice" as it adds value. End users understand SEO page rank as they search the web to see what ranks in a market before retreating to domain platforms -where the names have no SEO value, or rank, to lose.

All of my sales have come form visitors to my showcase channels, and I charge more than the average bear.

Still domain sales are not mass consumption products, and this is where the showcase site shines. If your content is good it can open doors -to speaking presentations, ad rev... and so much more.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
you don't "lose SEO juice" as it adds value.

You do when you move your blog to a new domain once the original one sold which is what OP was proposing 😉

•••
Upvote 0
^ By that logic the domain wasn't sold, it was "lost".

A domain's SEO & Rank isn't lost, it's sold. It goes with the name.
Higher rank, higher price, higher profit. No loss.

•••
Upvote 0
I didn't say the domain lost it's SEO juice, I said you (the seller) lose all the SEO juice :xf.wink:

•••
Upvote 0
True, the seller can't have their juice and drink it too.

Either you sell the juicy domain or you hold the domain to keep the juice.

•••
Upvote 0
I wouldn't mind that the SEO juice goes with the domain name. But, would the potential buyers get turned off seeing some content developed on the domain that they wanted to buy? Would they expect a fresh / virgin domain mostly or wouldn't mind if it's used for something already?

•••
Upvote 0
I wouldn't mind that the SEO juice goes with the domain name. But, would the potential buyers get turned off seeing some content developed on the domain that they wanted to buy? Would they expect a fresh / virgin domain mostly or wouldn't mind if it's used for something already?

I think it could even be better if it's developed. Some buyers prefer to get the SEO and backlinks. Others don't. it all depends on the name and buyer. I also have my domain name for sale that I use "lightly". I priced it high though - so if someone wants it, it'll be worth the name change hassle.

•••
Upvote 0

Many, if not most, people are disappointed when they land on a parked landing page because they expected more (content). This disappointment devalues the name, and the web overall because its a common experience.

Also, a parked / landing page is still a webpage with content, but this "content" also disappoints search engines -who likewise devalue the page resulting in most parked pages not ranking well or banned outright.

•••
Upvote 0
Many, if not most, people are disappointed when they land on a parked landing page because they expected more (content). This disappointment devalues the name, and the web overall because its a common experience.

Also, a parked / landing page is still a webpage with content, but this "content" also disappoints search engines -who likewise devalue the page resulting in most parked pages not ranking well or banned outright.

This is simply not true.

Virtually all of my landing pages are indexed and when searching for a specific name often come up on the first page.

Most buyers are looking for a name with a specific idea in mind and having to undo/rebrand whatever you had on there is mostly a negative.

SEO domains are another story but if you have a domain name with legitimate SEO value you’d be better off using that traffic yourself.

•••
Upvote 0
This is simply not true.

Virtually all of my landing pages are indexed and when searching for a specific name often come up on the first page.
Good for you, but YOU are not The Web.

There are over 260 million domains online and about 70% are parked / landing pages. If most were indexed ~70% of search results would be parked / landing pages.

Search can find the 'specific words' queried. This does not mean the sites those words are found on rank high. All that is searchable is not Indexed.

Most buyers are looking for a name with a specific idea in mind and having to undo/rebrand whatever you had on there is mostly a negative.

ALL buyers only purchase about 1% of all the domains for sale, so not only is it better to rebrand a ranked "SEO'" domain than a 'searchable' landing page but its easier to earn other income with a content page.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back