Dynadot

E-commerce or ecommerce?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

I know hyphen is not welcome by most of the experienced domainers, however, I still have to ask about e-commerce and ecommerce, which one is better to use in a domain name? Of course it would be ecommer.com, but ecommerce with something combined ...

I heard some people told me that e-commerce is a more normal term than ecommerce, is that right?

And go further the question, e(-)commerce compares with e(-)business, which one is better for an official brand for an online business site?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would keep em together but its up to you.

•••
i think both ways are acceptable but thats just my opinion

•••
e-commerce is more natural. google search= 8.6million

ecommerce=5.7 million???? what more can i say? :gn:

•••
would be best to keep both.

•••
Originally posted by TheWatcher
would be best to keep both.

I know, but if I have to choose one, and only one, as my website's official name , which one should I go for?

•••
This is a hard decision.

I think e-commerce would seem rather lonely with just the 'e' on it's own... It's also a hypen, and although being accepted for this word, some people really don't like them.

I think ecommerce may be the best option here. It also depends on the full name your getting.

Hey, why not just get both!? :D

•••
Thanks Darren, yes I would get both domains if possible, but I need one to be my brand name, don't I :D I can't put both names as my logo, right? :)

Any more comments?

•••
Originally posted by yesonline
I know, but if I have to choose one, and only one, as my website's official name , which one should I go for?

"ecommerce.com" (non-hyphenated), IMHO.
Best of Luck.

•••
Use the hypen in your logo, off course. It will stand out much more clear. If the hypen is in your logo but not in your web address then it's nothing to worry about, especially if your going to be owning both domains anyway. :)

I think you should just go for 'E-Commerce' if your doing to develop it, and not resell it.

Wait for some more shared opinions on this first though, don't jump into anything just yet!

Good Luck. :)

•••
Appreciate all of you who gave me your great opinions, and please keep them coming :D
Yes, I am going to develop a website with the term "ecommerce" within the domain(most likely e-commercexxxx.com, started with e-commerce), I am not good in English so I need to know what direction should I take before go-go :)

thanks

•••
Actually in business presentation, it's common to use e-commerce than ecommerce. But for internet simplicity .. I go for ecommerce ...

•••
ecommer.com - should be one word.

•••
i'd go with the hyphen in this case, imo this is one of the few cases in which i think the hypen is indeed better

•••
I just heard e-commerce now is regarded as a single word like e-mail is, is that right?

:D

•••
I wouldnt be able to decide which one if I owned them :)

•••
I would go without the hyphen anyday

•••
I would keep both, but then again, e-commerce appears more professional to me, good luck!

•••
One important fact in determining if E-commerce or Ecommerce is more accepted - is that it is one of the few terms that the Overture Bid Search Tool comes up with the same amount - $3.99 (for Yahoo on 11/30/03 9:08 PM EST).

Or in other words, as an advertiser, Yahoo views E-commerce the same as Ecommerce. I conclude that as an end user, Yahoo would probable view the value of the domains the same.

Good luck,

•••
Originally posted by yesonline
Hi,

I know hyphen is not welcome by most of the experienced domainers.....

It beats me why domainers don't like hyphens.

Google loves hyphens when it comes to separating words!

I have the site that ranked first 10 in Google for long time now ( two words with hyphen)

To give you an example - if someone searched for some generic term, dunno, like "cheap airfare", the ranking algorithm at google looks at domains itself ( among other things ).

Since domain name normally speaks for the content relevance - it given high priority by Google. Now, this may not be a rule - but works in most cases. Try and see what comes up on "cheap airfare". Try any other terms where two words domain is likely registered and see what comes up.

Just my 2c about hyphen domains - they are great. At the end of the day any domain is about traffic.

-elena

•••
Yes I agree elenad, however, ecommer or e-commer have no keyword benefits. Both words are made up.

e-commerce/ecommerce has absolutely no relationship with ecommer/e-commer. Apple and oranges except they visually contain similiar letters.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back