Dynadot

information Why We Are Going 100% Sales Landers - The Experiment Begins!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
We’ve read everywhere that when you buy a domain name, the EASIEST thing to do is to park your domain name with a parking company and make money off the clicks that come in…eventually.

You obviously have several options with what to do with your domain names but in our case, our experiment will 100% fully begin with this sales lander transition.

I like to snoop. I visit “big players” who have domains and see what they are doing. I copy. Yes. Success leaves clues. Copy what works right? So after looking at several of their domain names that say something similar to “This domain may be for sale, contact for more info”, it makes sense to try it ourselves.

Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
good read. good points, however imo its inconclusive whether the buyer cannot see the statement on top of screen that says "this domain is for sale" on a parked page.

obviously Bodis totally missed the boat making this banner with the smallest posible font available, and no backgroudn color.. hope they fix it soon.. it is after all a 10 second job for the prgorammer to change font. however voodoo.. parking place.. etc.. the big fat line on top saying its for sale, imo its as good as lander.

I don't park my domains for revenue. but i enjoy the convienence of a simple pointing to dns without going through forwardign to landers or what not. and paying commission to use a lander is not my preferred option either. that being said I do have a small weebly lander page setup all ready to go. used it before too. just took simple redirect from registrar for all my domaisn, and boom they land on one page lander for sale. and all with masking at that!

but I went back to parking. I love the stats and the simpliity of it. it's not about the $5 it gives me per month.

•••
Good idea; you'll find that this works better than traffic monetization because parking revenue is negligible compared to sales revenue.

DomainNameSales (DNS) has the best for-sale landing pages at the moment.

•••
good read. good points, however imo its inconclusive whether the buyer cannot see the statement on top of screen that says "this domain is for sale" on a parked page.

obviously Bodis totally missed the boat making this banner with the smallest posible font available, and no backgroudn color.. hope they fix it soon.. it is after all a 10 second job for the prgorammer to change font. however voodoo.. parking place.. etc.. the big fat line on top saying its for sale, imo its as good as lander.

I don't park my domains for revenue. but i enjoy the convienence of a simple pointing to dns without going through forwardign to landers or what not. and paying commission to use a lander is not my preferred option either. that being said I do have a small weebly lander page setup all ready to go. used it before too. just took simple redirect from registrar for all my domaisn, and boom they land on one page lander for sale. and all with masking at that!

but I went back to parking. I love the stats and the simpliity of it. it's not about the $5 it gives me per month.

Yes, the stats they give you are great and allow you to dig a little deeper when it comes to what domains may be better than others.

Not sure what you mean about Bodis though. I assume your referring the ppc type pages they offer because the newer Sales landers I discussed on a prior post you can read here, look very nice.

You mentioned it's technically inconclusive which is true and why we are doing this experiment but as mentioned in my post, I am basically copying what I see "bigger" people in the industry do. People who have lots of sales and know what they are doing. So we shall see what happens.

Thanks!

Good idea; you'll find that this works better than traffic monetization because parking revenue is negligible compared to sales revenue.

DomainNameSales (DNS) has the best for-sale landing pages at the moment.

DNS has a few great looking pages actually. Love the look of them but we've always been rejected by their platform. I believe it's because we do not have a large enough portfolio.

Yes, parking rev could be good if you own SUPER high quality domains or a ton of domains but 1 good sale could out perform 10-20 years worth of parking rev for a domain. At least, that's the way I see it.

Thanks.

•••
Yes, the stats they give you are great and allow you to dig a little deeper when it comes to what domains may be better than others.

Not sure what you mean about Bodis though. I assume your referring the ppc type pages they offer because the newer Sales landers I discussed on a prior post you can read here, look very nice.

You mentioned it's technically inconclusive which is true and why we are doing this experiment but as mentioned in my post, I am basically copying what I see "bigger" people in the industry do. People who have lots of sales and know what they are doing. So we shall see what happens.

Thanks!

Thanks.

hi

I am in full agremment with your experiment. hope you bring some more conclusive input to domaining through it!

my message talked about bodis having a great new sales lander but missing the point fully by using the tiniest available font and no background, on the parked page link (prior to going to slaes lander) stating "this domain is for sale".

they'll fix it this year they say.

for anyone else here liking bodis overall, and their support and new sales lander, and I hope you were aware of this... but bodis allows a complete redirection of your domains parked with them straight to the new lovely sales lander. thus essentially ridding you of all necessaity for going to look for sales lander elsewhere or creating your own. its all under the manage domains option.

hope this helps all and any.

cheers

•••
hi

I am in full agremment with your experiment. hope you bring some more conclusive input to domaining through it!

my message talked about bodis having a great new sales lander but missing the point fully by using the tiniest available font and no background, on the parked page link (prior to going to slaes lander) stating "this domain is for sale".

they'll fix it this year they say.

for anyone else here liking bodis overall, and their support and new sales lander, and I hope you were aware of this... but bodis allows a complete redirection of your domains parked with them straight to the new lovely sales lander. thus essentially ridding you of all necessaity for going to look for sales lander elsewhere or creating your own. its all under the manage domains option.

hope this helps all and any.

cheers

ok thanks for clearing that up!

•••

I agree that it is addictively easy to send your domains to parking pages. But you maybe could try Efty.com. For me, their landers are as good as Domain Name Sales, IMHO. If you use sales prices, they now have integration with Escrow.com, which makes the selling process easy and streamlined. But Efty is more work to setup than parking. Also, they sadly need categories, if you have a large portfolio. But their landers are very good, IMHO.

•••
I agree that it is addictively easy to send your domains to parking pages. But you maybe could try Efty.com. For me, their landers are as good as Domain Name Sales, IMHO. If you use sales prices, they now have integration with Escrow.com, which makes the selling process easy and streamlined. But Efty is more work to setup than parking. Also, they sadly need categories, if you have a large portfolio. But their landers are very good, IMHO.

thanks for tips!

I tried them out before they became a paying service. it was not for me. but I can see the appeal some others may see in it.

I am quite sure many people out there do not even realize one can auto forward domains to sales lander on bodis. and we all know how nicely they've redesigned their sales lander. so the convieneince and addictivness you just mentioned of using parkign service and dns has just got a step.. well.. more addictive it seems.. as now you can with 2 clicks go directly to sales lander on bodis.. probably not a new addition mind you, but I've only discovered this lately!

I have also not logn ago discovered the most amazing (and free) domain manager out there, the one offered by uniregistry. it is ultra fast, and simple and allows you to quickly access exipry and reg dates for your domains, sort them, etc.

to me, this is all good enough for now.

I hope this info helps someone else looking for similar, and free, folio management and sales lander alternatives.

ty

•••
@alcy - I agree with your thoughts on Uniregistry. It's growing on me by the day. But this isn't really a topic for this thread. But as a future note. They will soon be integrating with Domain Name Sales.

•••
I agree with sales landers but if you want to give yourself the most leverage, you need to own the traffic. That takes a lot of initial work though. Owning the traffic give you access to data you don't get when you forward to someone else's DNS. It also helps build equity in a site that you own and has your name attached to it. That's a long term strategy though and not everyone is in it for the long haul or has the time to manage something like that. There will always be a place for managed services.

I've seen a lot of you have taken the leap and built your own marketplaces. I plan on doing the same because my gut tells me it's the right thing to do. I get tired just thinking about the process from scratch though.

Some nice examples:

justtheword.com
novanym.com - really nice
excitemental.com
popcentric.com

I recall a Wordpress plugin that will redirect forwarded domains to a specific page within a site. Does anyone know what it's called?

Last edited:
•••
I agree with sales landers but if you want to give yourself the most leverage, you need to own the traffic. That takes a lot of initial work though. Owning the traffic give you access to data you don't get when you forward to someone else's DNS. It also helps build equity in a site that you own and has your name attached to it. That's a long term strategy though and not everyone is in it for the long haul or has the time to manage something like that. There will always be a place for managed services.

I've seen a lot of you have taken the leap and built your own marketplaces. I plan on doing the same because my gut tells me it's the right thing to do. I get tired just thinking about the process from scratch though.

Some nice examples:

justtheword.com
novanym.com - really nice
excitemental.com
popcentric.com

I recall a Wordpress plugin that will redirect forwarded domains to a specific page within a site. Does anyone know what it's called?

Really nice examples you provided. But what are your thoughts on someone going to your domain name (typing it in the browser) and them seeing that you own a bunch of names and you basically have a domain store. Do you think they won't like the fact that you buy and sell domain names on a large scale?

It may sound real silly but it is something I do think about. Having a domain on a single page and not showing your entire portfolio would probably make more sense to me.

What do you think?

•••
weebly permits a simple free creation of a site.. or one page lander, should you prefer that.

u can link it to google analytics easily too.

the whole thing takes 5 minutes to create. 100% free.

I used to run it before I switched to bodis. at least for now.

you can forward (with masking at that!) all domains from registrar to this address and voila! as far as I am concerned this is simpler than wordpress. and nicer too.

I would have preferred to just use google sites, but forwarding all domains with masking there gets tricky and time consuming imo

if anyone wishes to see example, here is what I made for lander:

http://domainpickups.weebly.com/

Last edited:
•••
Do you think they won't like the fact that you buy and sell domain names on a large scale?

It may sound real silly but it is something I do think about. Having a domain on a single page and not showing your entire portfolio would probably make more sense to me.

What do you think?

It never crossed my mind as something to be concerned about. Domains would forward directly to their lander. The landers would be clean with minimal distractions or links. A visitor would only realize it's a larger domain boutique if they visited the home page. I don't think it's a detriment that they know that, in fact, I hope it gives them the impression that they're dealing with a pro.

Last edited:
•••
weebly permits a simple free creation of a site.. or one page lander, should you prefer that.
I used to run it before I switched to bodis. at least for now.
you can forward (with masking at that!) all domains from registrar to this address and voila! as far as I am concerned this is simpler than wordpress. and nicer too.
if anyone wishes to see example, here is what I made for lander:

http://domainpickups.weebly.com/

It doesn't look like there's anything there now, but can you tell me how you setup the checkout process - anything special you had to do? I imagine it's a bit like selling artwork - it's unique (so item goes away after purchase), and there might need to be escrow involved? I'm asking because I was contacted by Wix to write an article about their ecommerce setup, and domain sales might be a good test case of their platform.

•••
right now I have my own site. Had it for almost 1 full year. I had about 80% of my domains going to its own page within my site while the other 20% I played with. In that years time I had all my sales except 1 go through me. Now I do not know if more sales would have been made if they only seen that 1 domain and not the hundreds of others I have. So since the sales to me were low I will still keep the site but play around with more of a % to see how they do. Also I forwarded a good amount to Godaddy premium listings and not one sale via that method. Guess either my price was to high :)

•••
right now I have my own site. Had it for almost 1 full year. I had about 80% of my domains going to its own page within my site while the other 20% I played with. In that years time I had all my sales except 1 go through me.

Thanks for sharing. There are many variables to consider but would you mind estimating the percentage of your domains that you sold?

•••
Sure there were only 4 this year in the $xxx to $X,xxx (not including anything done here) and again one was a whois (even though the domain had its own page) and the others were from the make offer form. I do tend to think that if they see more domains for sale they may think of not asking as they think we want a million dollars or something. It is something to think about the perception of domainers to end users. So maybe having them all shown may hav
e lost other sales but I have no proof

•••
Sure there were only 4 this year in the $xxx to $X,xxx (not including anything done here) and again one was a whois (even though the domain had its own page) and the others were from the make offer form. I do tend to think that if they see more domains for sale they may think of not asking as they think we want a million dollars or something. It is something to think about the perception of domainers to end users. So maybe having them all shown may hav
e lost other sales but I have no proof

Thanks for responding. Great info. I'm rethinking my position on listing other domains on landers as I do see your point. In reality, what are the odds of selling a different domain other than the one they landed on? Probably 0.0000001%.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back