Dynadot

Who is the top domain blog ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Who is the top domain blog

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Domain Name Wire

votes
    20.0%
  • The Domains

votes
    16.3%
  • MorganLinton.com

vote
    1.3%
  • DomainGang.com

votes
    2.5%
  • DomainShane.com

votes
    5.0%
  • ElliotsBlog

votes
    10.0%
  • DN Journal

votes
    22.5%
  • Sullys Blog

votes
    0.0%
  • TeenDomainer

vote
    1.3%
  • RicksBlog

votes
    6.3%
  • Fusible.com

votes
    0.0%
  • Other

votes
    15.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Who in your opinion is #1 Vote in the poll.

What is the most important thing you want in a blog ? sales data, info, how to, etc...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Juanny said:
My example was Elliot's Blog.. how many effing ads does one blog need? Even competing companies? Come on.. that's just pathetic. What am I supposed to think?

To answer this question I quoted, I guess you can think that there are 10-15 companies that are interested in supporting my blog, which I think is pretty exciting, especially considering the size of the industry. I could take some of them off and earn less advertising revenue, but then I would probably realize I should spend my time working on my profitable websites. As much as it's strange to think about, my blog has actually turned into a business.

If you were writing articles and answering comments/questions for 30-40 hours a week, wouldn't you expect to earn some money from your time and commitment? If I was going to be doing work for free, it would be at a non-profit organization I support helping those who are in need. People who read my blog are doing it to learn about the domain business so they can make money from it. Why should I not earn money from advertisers for helping others make money?

I've blogged about it before and I will say it again here. I don't do paid posts or reviews and I don't think I have ever done them. I also use very infrequent affiliate links, and at the present time, NONE of the banners on my blog are affiliate banners. They are not pay for performance either, so I make no more or less if you buy a .CO domain name or use Name.com. Many of the banners are paid bi-annually or annually, and I have a waiting list for potential advertisers (currently 2 companies), so I am not pressured to post things just to keep advertisers happy.

I may write about some advertisers more than others, but that's likely because I had a business relationship with the company prior to advertising and their services are helpful to me and can be helpful to others. For instance, I've used DomainTools since I started in the business, and I am excited that they've made a long term commitment to my blog with their advertising. When I show a Whois lookup in an article, of course I will link to their site because that's where I found the information. The same goes for other companies.

I don't charge the people who read my blog or learn from it and if the advertising bothers you, I am sure you aren't being forced to visit my blog. :)

Anyway, I really appreciate the support in this thread and I thank you for taking time to visit my blog.

PS: I don't censor comments on my blog, so feel free to drop by and post what you like. I may disagree with your opinion, but at least it will lead to a good discussion.

•••
The more Originality the Better.
The fewer Ads the Better.

NO REFERRAL LINKS embedded in text.

Too many people rehash other people's ideas.
If you read it somewhere else - link to it don't copy it.

If you want to COMMENT on another bloggers opinion either (a) Comment or (b) Add something and ensure that there is a trackback.

The End.

Last edited:
•••
Who in your opinion is #1 Vote in the poll.

What is the most important thing you want in a blog ? sales data, info, how to, etc...

some names you have in the poll, i don't consider as blogs

dnjournal and dnw for instance

as for top blog, i'd have to say rick's blog

even though i don't follow the blogspeak, i notice that other bloggers won't hesitate to blog about what Rick says.

but very few blog about what other bloggers say or it's a rare occurance.

so that's my rationale for selecting rick's blog as his opinions seem to be quoted the most, whether it's good or bad.

as for what's most important,the most important thing for me would be integrity

i hate to see bloggers drop names in titles just for shock and awe, and the content is basic backrubbing the other guy for blogging about you in the past or future.

imo...

•••
Mine! duh!

Its kind of hard to pick one since many of those domains each have great posts

•••
I think DNJournal qualifies more as a newsmagazine.

TheDomains is pretty good, Elliot shares some decent info and I quite like Shane's writing style.

My blog does some decent traffic too, though I don't blog regularly.

•••
Glad you posted this. It gives me good ideas on what to blog about. I personally don't read blogs, only write my own. I will try and follow what is suggested in this thread to increase the content value.

•••
Biggie I get what you are saying about Dn Journal. I included because I have seen other polls that included Dn Journal as a blog. Why would you not consider DNW a blog ? If you could enter your vote for Rick that would be great, Thank you.

Last edited:
•••
I agree with mwzd. My two favorite are Elliot's blog and Domain Shane. Elliot would make a great teacher (although I'm not sure he'd be happy with the salaries they get) and Domain Shane is just fun to read. I blog too, mostly about domain development related stuff, but not nearly as regularly as these guys.

•••
•••
I vote for DNJournal and Domain Name Wire

•••
•••
Top domain are
# DN Journal
# DotSauce
# WhyPark Blog
# Elliot's Blog
# The Domains

•••
I read them all but I am really liking DomainSherpa.
Just read Ja$on;s blog this week. I really like his approach to domaining as well.

•••
My top 3 are:
- DNW
- The Domains
- Elliot's Blog

•••
I like different blogs/news sites for different reasons:

Domain Name Wire: Straightforward industry news
TheDomains: Good insight and sometimes inside information
Domain Shane: Laid-back, humorous style
Elliot's Blog: Many good domaining tips
DomainIncite: Technical news
Fusible: Well-researched stories

•••
•••
Thedomains has come on strong tied for the lead

•••
Tight race Dn Journal nudges into the lead.

•••
Let's get to 50 votes if we can. Thank you

•••
I don't read any off them unless there is some big drama going on in the industry (then I might take a peek).

Most (the majority) of them are too self serving for my liking.

Besides, most of the good stuff makes it onto the forums anyway. :)

LOL @ one of the tags...snoopshouldblog. :D

My imagination or has he been absent?

Last edited:
•••
The fewer Ads the Better.

NO REFERRAL LINKS embedded in text.

The End.

I always get a kick of reading things like this.

There is a ton of work put into all of these sites mentioned and many more that are not listed. Affiliate marketing works by placing referral links and the blog owner talking about a specific product or service.

The person clicking is not effected in any way, but helps the site owner.

The same goes for the ads. Without them, it is very likely the site wouldn't stay up.

I like all the sites personally and I didn't see an "all" to vote. :tu:

•••
Quite difficult chosen, many are not bad.

•••
I always get a kick of reading things like this.

There is a ton of work put into all of these sites mentioned and many more that are not listed. Affiliate marketing works by placing referral links and the blog owner talking about a specific product or service.

The person clicking is not effected in any way, but helps the site owner.

The same goes for the ads. Without them, it is very likely the site wouldn't stay up.

I like all the sites personally and I didn't see an "all" to vote. :tu:

So do you watch ads when you DVR that show you like?
Do you believe in impartiality if there's a giant DOT CO ad?
There are plenty of methods to create value without resorting to a screen that is 50% ads.

I didn't say NO ads. I said the FEWER the better. I wouldn't mind one or two...or a banner ad but PR9 flashing is an exception(Thanks Greasemonkey/AdBlocker)

Too many? When you have Escrow.com, Godaddy.com, .co, Domaintools.com, Afternic, DomainStore.com, Minisites.com, Dynadot, WhyPark, TaxService.com, Domaining.com, IDNTools.com....

These are what are on Elliotsblog right now... and I didn't include ALL of them.

On the other side I said EMBEDDED. I don't like links that have referral codes in them. I automatically strip them out. A link should have reader value not producer value.

If you have an opinion on a product I'd like to read it. If you are paid to have an opinion on a product you should state that. It's just about integrity.

So - Fewer ads is better. Fewer referral code links....the better.

Just IMO.

Last edited:
•••
I disagree DU, if the person has not been paid but takes the time to write an article that is complete and honest about the product. What is wrong with a referral code ? If that's that persons livelihood why shouldn't they be paid. Maybe I should say to the person selling me a lemonade at the mall for $3, Fuck you its only water, a lemon and sugar that all come from nature. I agree with you Yofie I always find it funny but none of the people who object to one persons job tell me why they should get paid for their job. If everything is going to be free ok, pure barter system, no money for anything, medicine free,education free, housing free etc.... Its funny when domainers are against advertising, ( before anyone goes on a rant that they are not a domainer, they just hang out in domainer places, I get it.)Its just hysterical IMO.

Bottom line if its the persons job and is not a hobby , its not charity either,when it comes to charity I can think of far better causes. They should get paid. Again IMO

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back