IT.COM

.Pro announcement today

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I got the following email today from Encirca. Nice to see .Pro finally getting the attention it deserves!
----

Just one week after announcing the acquisition of Affinity Internet, forming one of the world's largest web hosting firms with over 600,000 customers, Hostway Corporation announces a new General Manager for RegistryPro.

Filling this long-empty position signals a renewed energy and focus towards making the .pro registry a successful namespace.

Continue reading for today's press release.

Chicago - April 10, 2007
- Hostway Corporation, a premier hosting provider of innovative web-based tools and services for businesses, and RegistryPro, the exclusive operator of the .Pro top level domain (TLD) for professionals, today announced that Catherine Sigmar has been appointed President of RegistryPro effective March 29, 2007. Among other things, Ms. Sigmar will be responsible for managing RegistryPro's strategy, operations, legal affairs, and policy.

In addition to her internal responsibilities, Ms. Sigmar will lead in the registry's relationship with ICANN, and will contribute to setting policies for the promotion of the growth of .Pro domain name as well as manage the general environment of the .Pro domain name.

In making the announcement, Lucas Roh, CEO of Hostway Corporation, the parent company of RegistryPro said, "In Catherine, we have a colleague of depth, perspective, and global experience who also possesses the necessary leadership skills. Her international corporate experience as well as her background in the legal field will help enormously as we bring the benefits of .Pro domain names to professionals everywhere."

Prior to joining RegistryPro, Ms. Sigmar has held a number of international senior executive positions. Most recently she successfully led the strategic consulting group for the Americas at Intel Corporation. Before joining Intel, Ms. Sigmar lived in the UK where she held several senior sales, legal and operations positions with Invensys Plc, Baan Company. Ms. Sigmar had prior experience in legal and consulting roles with System Software Associates and Price Waterhouse. Ms. Sigmar holds a J.D. degree from the Illinois Institute of Technology, a Bachelor of Law from University of Western Ontario (Canada) and a B.A from Queens University (Canada).

Catherine Sigmar responded to the appointment by praising the incredible possibilities that RegistryPro presents for professionals as well as the domain name industry. ".Pro will represent for internet users a trusted source for access to professionals. The .pro extension will be the vehicle that professionals rely on to establish credibility as they continue to take advantage of the web."
THANKS FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT!

.Pro was once restricted to users in just four professions from only four countries. All this changed when EnCirca introduced its ProForwarding service over two years ago.

EnCirca has never wavered in its conviction that .pro domains should be available on a world-wide basis to all professionals. We believe that further relaxing of restrictions in .pro are inevitable in today's competitive environment for domain names.

We intend to continue our work in promoting great availability and use of .pro domains throughout the global internet.

Sincerely,

Thomas Barrett
EnCirca

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I got this email as well. It also listed some of the nice recent .pro sales.
It's good to see the .pro extension getting a little love.

•••
Video.pro sold for $35,000 on Afternic/BuyDomains (3/27/2007)
Movie.pro sold for $22,000 on Afternic/BuyDomains (3/27/2007)
Streaming.pro sold for $18,000 on Afternic/BuyDomains (3/27/2007)

it was a good signal i think

•••
There were a few smaller ticket sales that have taken place recently as well that weren't reported in the email:

gamble.pro $250.00 2007-04-06 Private Sale
solo.pro $350 2007-03-30 Sedo
tennis.pro $410 2007-03-16 Sedo
help.pro $210 2007-03-16 Sedo
photography.pro $2,210 2007-01-21 Sedo

Last edited:
•••
Actually I sold java.pro for $500 at the end of last year.

•••
does anyone know the who-is server for .pro? one that accepts mass checks of domains...

•••
gjsys said:
does anyone know the who-is server for .pro? one that accepts mass checks of domains...
not sure where you can "roll your own", but encirca has a manual bulk checker form here (25 max) https://www.encirca.com/cgi-bin/rgsys/bulkregpro.cgi

Interesting observation - maybe that means no solid market survey has even been done on .PRO? Personally I never found out the answer to your question, because when I checked some initial lists of terms I found plenty of available ones. And at $99 a pop, there's really no need to build a massive list :)

•••
•••
dot Pro rules! i hope the market will explode soon!

•••
•••
I sold texasholdem.pro and onlinepoker.pro in the same package for $4000 :) I truly belive that .Pro will expload.

•••
davidc said:
I sold texasholdem.pro and onlinepoker.pro in the same package for $4000 :) I truly belive that .Pro will expload.

wow, I wish you could tell me who was the buyer since I can`t sell my OnlinePoker.pk for 2K :'(

•••
imo .PRO sounds conceited, sort of like "I'm a professional, and the whole world needs to know."

•••
Like Ive said in the past - .pro has the potential to be a solid TLD, the only problem is that it needs better promotion/marketing and lower prices. If they can do this, I would dive into this TLD head first.

Justin

•••
Mikor said:
imo .PRO sounds conceited, sort of like "I'm a professional, and the whole world needs to know."

I think with a lot of junk ccTld's out there a little conceite and "yes, I'm a professional" can go a long way to adding customers confidence in a site.

Not that non-Pro's can't own a .pro name, but still. If the pro registry spent time going after scam sites and trying to keep the registry clean it really could be THE Professional extension of the web.

•••
LOL
I don't even have a single .pro domain.
I think i will reg some soon.
Which is the cheapest place to reg .pro?

•••
Good news....Now maybe my Mechanic (dot) pro can get some time in the limelight :hehe:

•••
My director.pro gets plenty of clicks on sedo, but no offers yet. I would like to see it go to auction just to see what it could do.

•••
Would gladly sell :

Social.Pro
Profile.Pro
Layout.Pro
Layouts.Pro
Videogame.Pro
MySpace.Pro

Anyone interested, let me know.

Will consider offers - Minimum $250 per.

BIN each - $1000
BIN for package $5000

•••
•••
•••
$250 for Videogame.Pro

ownthisdomainnow said:
Would gladly sell :

Social.Pro
Profile.Pro
Layout.Pro
Layouts.Pro
Videogame.Pro
MySpace.Pro

Anyone interested, let me know.

Will consider offers - Minimum $250 per.

BIN each - $1000
BIN for package $5000

•••
(dotprofan - responded via PM.)

Videogame.Pro BIN is now officially @ $750

Great deal I think.

•••
unsure how this .pro works.... if it's really meant to be restricted - doesn't the selling on / aftermarket sales of .pro (to anyone) really make a mockery of this?

Unless they make it so you can't resell them (just like .com.au domains) - then it will be a free for all anyway (if it isn't already). So I can't see the values going up - in the longer term.

A question though: Encirca seems to offer these extensions to anyone outside of the original countries / 3-4 professions to include all professionals. Have I read this right?

•••
dotpro names area available to anyone and can be resold just like any other name. This is due to the structure of the dotpro contract and encirca's service. Encirca is a solid company run by an intelligent individual and will allow you to do what you wish with your names. If you really want an education read through all these links : http://del.icio.us/sports_betting/dotpro

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back