IT.COM

advice Parking Unused Domains

Spaceship
Watch

JosephF

Impact
What is the best approach in handling domain names that you aren't using? Is it worthwhile placing them on a parking service that displays advertisements and shares the revenue with you? Is it better to place some light content on your homepage, perhaps generated via AI, together with your own Google AdSense ads?

Do you also place a notice on the frontpage of the website of your domain that the domain is available for sale? (Do you specify a price or leave the price unmentioned?) Do you also put it on Dan.com, Afternic, Sedo and/or other such services?

Is it more profitable to put this page up yourself or is it more financially rewarding to use a third party parking/advertising/for-sale service?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There is no generic best approach. Every domain should be handled differently unless your are talking about bulk domains that share the same concept (eg. all 4Ls or all sharing the same keyword, etc.)

What I do is:
-if domains are expected to have high amounts of traffic then I park them using a parking service. eg. Bodis, ParkingCrew, etc.
Why not park them myself? Because a. I will not be able to handle such amounts of traffic b. Only a handful services provide G's parking adsense, eg. Bodis, PC, etc. Anything else will earn you less imo.

-If domains' traffic amount is unknown,
I park them for a few days (typically 1-2 weeks) and, if they have traffic then I keep them for a few months to check potential earnings, if they don't then I just set them with a sales page (any page will do as long as you can choose what happens when a visitor makes the inquiry).

No matter the traffic the domains have, if your goal is to sell then, besides the sell/park page, you should also consider adding the domains to every marketplace you can for extra exposure.

Hope that helps

•••
Parking is so dead.
2024, and you expect web2 traffic!
Sorry, I might sound way too negative, but...
You might earn pennies, while missing a potential sale : )

•••
Parking is so dead.
2024, and you expect web2 traffic!
Sorry, I might sound way too negative, but...
You might earn pennies, while missing a potential sale : )
What's the better alternative?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back