IT.COM

Opinions on Kevin Ham?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RWAC

Account Closed
Impact
Assuming just a few of you have read up on Kevin Ham, what's the best tidbits of advice that you have picked up from his wily practices to become in recent years, one of the kings of the market place?

Similar personalities of his ilk and prowess in dominating their market segment, what do you respect or disrespect about these characters?

Views welcome.

(You can disguise your identities if you wish) :laugh:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm very jealous, he pioneered a lot of how the current drop system works (in terms of hiring registrars to catch names), that is how he got so big.

•••
Best Books to Read on Accruing and Dealing in Domain Names?

What are the best books that you have read on the subject of domain names?

Or, online, where did you find the best sources of information, that helped you on your way?

Yes, I know the latter is a cheeky question, and can fully understand a few of you eyerolling, thinking, saying out loud, 'ya cheeky sod, go and find out for yourself' - but if you don't ask, you don't get, so thought it might be worth a try. :)

•••
There are no books sir, read everything you can and try to think up new angles on things.

•••
Well, I did get a beauty Wedding one earlier, wonder if The Hamster might be interested? :sold: :hehe:

•••
Spend ALOT of time here.

•••
Already spend too much time on UKBF, the largest entrepreneurs forum in the British Isles: http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk

Reading up all I can at the moment.

•••
More than Kevin Ham, I admire Frank Schilling. This guy started off waaay later than everyone else - 2002 - and is already one of the most respected (perhaps THE most respected) guys in this industry. If Kevin Ham was smart, Frank Schilling was much more.

But I think the big coup that Ham pulled off was getting the .cm deal. That alone has to generate millions for him. Gotta admire him for that.

To me, though, Frank is the king. Sahar is great too. He has to be one of the most helpful domainers around. Ask him a question on his blog, and you get a reply the next day, everytime.

•••
I like Kevin Ham because he was doctor before he became a full time domainer. From what I've read he was writing programs to catch domain names during his spare time when he was doing his intern. When he finally realized that he could make more money than just being a physician he became a full time domainer. The cool thing about his situation is that he can alway fall back on his MD degree once he gets tired of domaining (yeah right :D).
I also admire Schilling for his great skills and taking on the domain game on 2002 and still managed to dominate.
I like both guys for what they have accomplished and for giving domainers positive motivation.

•••
I happy for both of them, Frank and Ham. However, the one caveat I come across is that many of these people already have money. They have money to buy domains and time to write programs and or fly to Cameroon to negotiate contracts. It's getting somewhere without money that alludes the multitudes.

•••
acronym007 said:
I happy for both of them, Frank and Ham. However, the one caveat I come across is that many of these people already have money. They have money to buy domains and time to write programs and or fly to Cameroon to negotiate contracts. It's getting somewhere without money that alludes the multitudes.

I concur. I think we all fancy our chances of being domain pioneers if we had millions to play with.

•••
sashas said:
More than Kevin Ham, I admire Frank Schilling. This guy started off waaay later than everyone else - 2002 - and is already one of the most respected (perhaps THE most respected) guys in this industry. If Kevin Ham was smart, Frank Schilling was much more.

But I think the big coup that Ham pulled off was getting the .cm deal. That alone has to generate millions for him. Gotta admire him for that.

To me, though, Frank is the king. Sahar is great too. He has to be one of the most helpful domainers around. Ask him a question on his blog, and you get a reply the next day, everytime.

I really admire Frank Schilling, Sahar, Rick Schwartz, Kevin Ham, Ron Jackson and many others - If it was'nt for them sharing alot of their knowledge gained over years of hard work many of us would'nt even be here :)

However...I would'nt mind if they took a few weeks holidays from Snapnames once in a while and let this little tadpole get a big bite ! :hehe:

One of the things that impresses me most about Kevin Ham (Vaxis) is that he's also hired over 100 developers to work on developing his names.

I'm not knocking anyone for just sticking up a high revenue producing Parking Page as it makes perfect business sense but I still think too many of them will ruin the experience for many on the internet.

Hmmm, I bet there are quiet a few other amazing domainers that have yet to come out of the closet !

troopscott said:
butt pirate

eh - what's a butt pirate ?? :-/

•••
Can you please give links of these great domainers blogs.

•••
•••
Nice info, keep it coming please, it is appreciated.

•••
Some of you are dreaming if you think Schilling "started" in 2002.

He started before 1999 - maybe only 3+ yrs before 2002 but in internet time - eons ago.
His portfolio bulked up massively from 2002 onwards from (mainly) auto regs/domain tasting (yeah I said it) from owning a registrar...

Do people seriously think 300,000+ domains were all from hand regs and/or even spending day & night 24/7/365 at drop auctions...!?

•••
kevin ham is the guy who spends 5,000-15,000 on a dropped name(s) that nobody on this board would pay $80 for it.

that either tells you something about him,

or it tells you something about us.

•••
jazz said:
kevin ham is the guy who spends 5,000-15,000 on a dropped name(s) that nobody on this board would pay $80 for it.

I expect he is happy to take a few $60 hits considering the number of names he must find which are far more profitable than any research tool would have you believe. I think all the people mentioned here have a lot we can learn from, but they are in a different game to most imho.

•••
jazz said:

If he's really making an estimated $70 million a year in revenue (as reported here) then why not ? He won't be spending anywhere near his interest each year.

Techically speaking I am only aware of 3 types of domainers although some do a bit of all three:

1) those that buy to resell

2) those that buy for parking PPC revenue

3) those that buy to develop a business

I read somewhere that he said he buys to develop, unlike the majority of top domainers. ( I just re-read that article, he explains his master plan to develop at the end of it)

That said, its no wonder he's willing to pay more than say Frank, Bonkers or Buydomains sometimes.

JMO

Last edited:
•••
I've read that Kevin Ham is a born-again Christian, and he plans to develop his domains for a good and useful purpose.

One of his domains is Satan.com, which is good. Ham could be setting his eyes on Sex.com and will use it based on his Christian principles.

•••
Exploit technologies that aren't available to most people.
Partner with corrupt third world goverments to make bling on typos.
Go back in time.

Really there is nothing the average domainer could do that he did. He had money before he got into domains (like most of the big domainers, they were already wealthy) and catching quality drops at reg fee just doesn't happen anymore. The methods that most big domainers used to get where they are, are no longer valid.

•••
•••
Okay here's a partial list of Kevin Ham's domain names:

http://www.reinvent.com/domains.html

* 3dAnimation.com
* AcousticGuitars.com
* Actor.com
* AdventureJobs.com
* AffiliateMarketing.com
* Alcohol.com
* Alcoholics.com
* ArticleFinder.com
* AskQuestions.com
* Attorney.com

* AutoLocater.com
* AutoTrading.com
* Awning.com
* BabyGifts.com
* BabyShowerGames.com
* Baptism.com
* BarbadosRentals.com
* BarCodeScanners.com
* BargainHotels.com
* Be.com

* Beat.com
* BestFlights.com
* BibleCollege.com
* BicyleVacations.com
* BioChemistry.com
* BoardingSchool.com
* Bogota.com
* BonAppetite.com
* BonBon.com
* BrainBusters.com

* BridalBouquets.com
* BridalDresses.com
* BudgetVacations.com
* BuyAutos.com
* CameraPhone.com
* CanadaNews.com
* Car.net
* CarDecals.com
* CarDetailing.com
* CardScanner.com

* CareerPathways.com
* CareerTest.com
* CarFinancing.com
* CarPaint.com
* CarpetDealers.com
* CarPhone.com
* CarRent.com
* CashPayDay.com
* CellularPhones.com
* CheapScooters.com

* CheapTires.com
* CheapTravel.com
* ChildrenGames.com
* ClassmateFinder.com
* CollectableDolls.com
* ColonialHomes.com
* Commercials.com
* Consolidate.com
* CouponSaver.com
* CreditRating.com

* CreditReportOnline.com
* CrossStich.com
* CruiseFinder.com
* Cycle.com
* Cyprus.org
* DesignerDresses.com
* Diabetic.org
* Dialysis.com
* DiscountAuto.com
* DiscountCruise.com

* DiscountVacation.com
* Diseases.com
* DogBeds.com
* DogKennel.com
* DownloadRingtones.com
* DownloadSongs.com
* DreamAnalysis.com
* DrugAddictions.com
* DvdCovers.com
* ElementarySchool.com

* Elyrics.com
* EmploySearch.com
* Eparty.com
* Etextbooks.com
* Eticket.com
* ExpensiveCars.com
* ExtremeGames.com
* FaxOnline.com
* FileShare.com
* FlightChecker.com

* ForceField.com
* Francais.com
* FreeHost.com
* FreeLegalAdvice.com
* FreeMusicVideos.com
* FreePhoto.com
* FreeTones.com
* FreeVideo.com
* FunnySongs.com
* FurnishedApartments.com

* FurniturePatio.com
* Garnets.com
* GeoThermal.com
* God.com
* GoldMarket.com
* GolfInFlorida.com
* GolfSwings.com
* GospelMusic.com
* GroupHomes.com
* Hairs.com

* HawaiianWedding.com
* HawaiiVacationHomes.com
* HDTV.com
* Headstones.com
* HealthCareers.com
* HermitCrab.com
* HooverDam.com
* HouseSeeker.com
* IncomeFromHome.com
* Infertility.com

* InkRefills.com
* InMotion.com
* Innovations.com
* Instrumentals.com
* InternetStats.com
* Investigator.com
* InvitationCards.com
* Kalahari.com
* KidsVacations.com
* LaHotels.com

* Laptop.com
* LastMinuteTravelDeals.com
* LasVegasShowTickets.com
* LCD.com
* LCDprojector.com
* LeatherHandbags.com
* LivingRooms.com
* LoansForBadCredit.com
* Lupus.com
* MauiVacationHomes.com

* MBAdegree.com
* MedicalBracelets.com
* MedicalCodes.com
* MedicalHealth.com
* MedicalHelp.com
* Medrx.com
* MexicoChat.com
* MobileHomeParks.com
* ModularHome.com
* MontegoBay.com

* MortgageCalculators.com
* Mother.com
* MovieSearch.com
* MusicShare.com
* MyMeds.com
* NaturalRemedies.com
* NewCellPhones.com
* Notebook.com
* NowAndForever.com
* NurseFinder.com

* NY.org
* NYC.org
* OnlineBanking.com
* OnlineCreditReports.com
* OnlineCreditReport.com
* OrganicWine.com
* Orthotics.com
* OverSeaJobs.com
* PChardware.com
* PersonalChoice.com

* Pharmaceutical.com
* PhysicianSearch.com
* Planetarium.com
* PlayGame.com
* Preview.com
* Proverbs.com
* PublicSchools.com
* PuppyTraining.com
* QAtester.com
* RaceCars.com

* Rapture.com
* Refurbished.com
* Religion.com
* Reptile.com
* ResumeBuilders.com
* RoutePlanner.com
* SalesTraining.com
* SchoolGrants.com
* ScooterDepot.com
* SlideShows.com

* SecondWorldWar.com
* ServiceDogs.com
* SevenWonders.com
* SevenWondersOfTheWorld.com
* Sidekicks.com
* Sitcom.com
* Skateboard.net
* Skins.com
* Slapshot.com
* SlumberParty.com

* SoapOpera.com
* SongText.com
* SpainHoliday.com
* Spanish.com
* SpanishTeacher.com
* SpanishTranslations.com
* Spyware.net
* StockAnalysis.com
* StorageUnits.com
* Streetrods.com

* StudentCollegeLoan.com
* TahoeAccomodations.com
* TanningSalons.com
* TestEquipment.com
* TheHolyBible.com
* TimeShare.org
* TrailerHomes.com
* TrainingDogs.com
* TravelFares.com
* TravelLastMinute.com
* TravelPlanner.com
* TravelShop.com
* TubalLigation.com

* TummyTucks.com
* TypeOnline.com
* UnclaimedFunds.com
* UsedBikes.com
* UsedSUV.com
* USmail.com
* USweather.com
* UtahVacations.com
* VacationGetaways.com
* Vacuum.org
* Venture.com
* Vest.com
* Vids.com

* VC.com
* VirtualLibrary.com
* WasteContainers.com
* WebPageMaker.com
* WebStats.com
* WeddingGowns.com
* WeddingInvitation.com
* WeddingShoes.com
* Wire.com
* WishingWell.com
* WorkUniforms.com

•••
Jasonn said:
Exploit technologies that aren't available to most people.
Partner with corrupt third world goverments to make bling on typos.
Go back in time.

Really there is nothing the average domainer could do that he did. He had money before he got into domains (like most of the big domainers, they were already wealthy) and catching quality drops at reg fee just doesn't happen anymore. The methods that most big domainers used to get where they are, are no longer valid.

Ham was an INTERN when he got into domains. Interns are not rich.

Saying that all big domainers were rich when they got into domaining is just a way to make yourself feel better. Sahar used to run an ice cream truck. Go figure. Yes, they did have one sizeable initial source of funds - for Sahar, it was his sister's 20k limit credit card - and thats about it. They were not domaining on $200 every month; they were spending all their resources on domaining, taking huge gambles (imagine Sahar spending 20k on domains when he knew if the investment doesn't pay off, he would be in big big debt).

They all did the no.1 thing every man who has made it big in any field has done - they took huge risks. With their money, with their friends money, with their relatives money...

I don't hold a regular job; I'm a student and I work just 20 hours per week just so that I can pay my food and rent. But you can be sure that once I do get a regular, decent paying job, I will spend a sizeable amount each month on domains. Until then, I'll learn how I can best increase profits when I have the money...

risks man...gotta take them..

•••
sashas said:
Ham was an INTERN when he got into domains. Interns are not rich.

Saying that all big domainers were rich when they got into domaining is just a way to make yourself feel better. Sahar used to run an ice cream truck. Go figure. Yes, they did have one sizeable initial source of funds - for Sahar, it was his sister's 20k limit credit card - and thats about it. They were not domaining on $200 every month; they were spending all their resources on domaining, taking huge gambles (imagine Sahar spending 20k on domains when he knew if the investment doesn't pay off, he would be in big big debt).

They all did the no.1 thing every man who has made it big in any field has done - they took huge risks. With their money, with their friends money, with their relatives money...

I don't hold a regular job; I'm a student and I work just 20 hours per week just so that I can pay my food and rent. But you can be sure that once I do get a regular, decent paying job, I will spend a sizeable amount each month on domains. Until then, I'll learn how I can best increase profits when I have the money...

risks man...gotta take them..
No matter if Ham came from a rich family or not, he got a shitload of great domains at reg fee, something that will never happen again. Sahar did the same thing. So good luck on your path to riches. While you focus on stories of success there are about a million other stories of failure that you never hear about.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back