Dynadot

Moniker, should I stay or should I go

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,
I am not experienced with domains but I run 4 online businesses for which I have domains on Moniker. They are very valuable to me. After they moved to new software I did not lose anything. Also I managed to change passwords and everything seems ok now. Everybody is running aways from them, but I am not sure if it is really that bad. If yes, who else do you recommend. I have only four domains and I am not interested in anything but security. Also I keep wondering what would I do if one of my domains dissapeared with moniker?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You might want to read about RegisterFly for some perspective. I think the people with the most urgent problem were those whose domain was expiring. Some of them lost names or had their sites go down because they couldn't renew.

If you wait until you are certain, it will be to late. Transfering domains is not hard, so why not do it?

There are lots of registrar reviews at Namepros so finding a new one should not be hard.

•••
This reminds me of people who visit war zones or very dangerous neighborhoods and leave without a problem, and then tell everyone it's not as bad as they say. Learn from others, don't wait for the bad stuff to happen to you before you take action.

For other registrars, almost anyone would be better. Godaddy, Name, Fabulous. I would recommend Fabulous for security and peace of mind.

•••
Well, I am not experienced with transfering domains, I may try first with lowest value one. As for Fabulous, long time ago I tried to register with them but they wanted me to have hundreds of domains to join. Is that still the case?
My domains are not expiring soon, so I have some time.

•••
I just checked and Fabulous still requires either 750 domains or $750 revenue from our site. Last time I sent them domain which generated $4500 a month and they rejected. Who ever was reviewing it was wrong. Also why I must beg somone to buy his product :)?! Any alternative?

•••
I would recommend Dynadot or Namesilo (they have 2 factor authentication). Godaddy recently stopped doing email support so only go to them if you are prepared to ring them up, but they certainly have been trustworthy and reliable and they are not about to fall apart afaik.

With four domains used for websites you shouldn't need much support, but check that it is ok before transferring. But leave Moniker asap.

Uniregistry have a nice interface but they are brand new so I'd wait and see what becomes of them.

•••
Where can I read more about registrars, what about name.com?

•••
I'm going to go slightly off topic here, but my way of thinking is if your business is in the US (and OP's may not be), then go with a US registrar. Anyone else care to chime in on that advice?

As far as Fabulous, at one time you could get in with an invite, which I was fortunate enough to get, and to be honest I have only two domains with them. But please don't tell anyone. :xf.cool:

I do have to question why they'd make it so difficult for you to use their services.

•••
I would recommend Dynadot or Namesilo (they have 2 factor authentication).
Thanks for fast response. I never heard about any of those 2 (probably my problem) how long they operate? I registered with name.com just to see how it looks and it has nice 2 factor auth too. Any reason to prefer Dynadot over name.com? Where I can read about registrars, age, safety, etc.?
Thanks again.

•••
I do have to question why they'd make it so difficult for you to use their services.
As I said I had domains which earn several times more than $750 they require and I was rejected. I mean it really sounds funny: I was rejected from buying something by the seller itself :)

•••
Thanks for fast response. I never heard about any of those 2 (probably my problem) how long they operate? I registered with name.com just to see how it looks and it has nice 2 factor auth too. Any reason to prefer Dynadot over name.com? Where I can read about registrars, age, safety, etc.?
Thanks again.
I recently joined Dynadot since I bought a domain that was registered there, and so far I like the feel of their registrar. In fact the same goes for Name.com, a single domain there. They're simply parked and not hosted, but my feelers give me the impression that they're both reliable registrars. I have dealt with many registrars over the years, several of them very bad experiences. I have just a handful left at Moniker, and I'll probably move the rest of them away. Unfortunately I've lost any confidence I had in their operation.

•••
Definitely, definitely, definitely abandon Moniker!

I've used a dozen or two different registrars, and I only ever had maybe 100-200 domains at Moniker (which is a small percentage of my portfolio). But even before they changed platforms, I had ongoing problems with them. And since they changed platforms, suffered a breach of security, and mishandled all their customer service and PR ... why would anybody stay?

I've had more problems with Moniker than with all other registrars combined. And I was lucky because none of my problems involved loss of a domain.

•••
I wasn't aware of the Fabulous restriction. I would probably go with Godaddy then. The security is reasonable at least.

•••
I use namecheap and never had a problem and they have 2 factor authentication. Have a look.

•••
You guys convinced me to move, thanks for that. I am now considering:
name.com
namecheap.com
dynadot
Will make all 3 accounts and see which turns out the best.

Thank you!

•••
Am I the only one who sang the title of this thread while reading it for the first time? (In my mind, not aloud.)

@borgdrone7

Go with Dynadot. They're by far the best registrar; none of the others even come close. Although, I haven't tried Uniregistry.com yet, and I hear they're equally as good.

•••
Seems that no other registrar has domain lock feature which Moniker has. It is very nice feature, it enables two factor check for domain unlock so even if someone enters your account he cannot transfer most important domains. Does dynadot has something like that?

•••
Godaddy is honestly going to be the safest and most reputable registrar in the USA honestly. Moniker is questionable now although they used to be literally #1 in security previously when Monte ran the show.

•••
Seems that no other registrar has domain lock feature which Moniker has. It is very nice feature, it enables two factor check for domain unlock so even if someone enters your account he cannot transfer most important domains. Does dynadot has something like that?

Dynadot has exactly that and more: https://www.dynadot.com/domain/security.html
  • Account Lock (Birthday Verification)
  • SMS Authentication
  • Google Authentication

•••
Dynadot and Name.com would be my choices.
However, sometimes, GoDaddy coupons would be really tempting, especially for new registrations and sometimes for .com transfers... :)

•••
•••
I would recommend namecheap.com and name.com if your domains are for business use (not selling/buying). I have had accounts with both registrars since years and never had any issues.

Godaddy is safe and reliable too but their downside is that they don’t provide online support. If you are okay with calling them in case of any problem, they are great too.

•••
Go...as fast as possible. Moniker has become a joke on so many levels and I would never want a domain at a registrar that has terrible security issues.

Brad

•••
GoDaddy, Dynadot, and Name.com would be on my short list of registrars to consider.
They all have two-factor authentication as well when it comes to security.

Brad

•••
I have also moved on from Moniker.. Most of my names are now with Dynadot, GD and I am looking into Uniregistry.

As somewhere before said, don't wait for the bad things to happen to you to make your move.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back