Domain Empire

Legacy Google Keyword Tool is no more

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Google removed their legacy keyword tool:
https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal?forceLegacy=true

And you can read more here:
Updated Keyword Tool: Out of Beta - Inside AdWords

If they want to provide the new one, fine, but give us access to the old one. Only who really wants it and understand it's limitations go to that url!

I don't care if numbers were overestimated, it gave many more related phrases than this new one, and I know that some are really searched, it's not taken from anywhere else. I know this from my own experience, I know that particular market very well.

And note, I don't want to get all those suggestions. I just want to enter MY list of keywords and see the search number for those. If I select that option on the current interface I get 0 results!

If you want the other interface and results back, send that feedback to Google.

Fellow members, complain >:(

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The reason for the drop in the amount of exact searches is that the old Google Keyword Tool included data from Google as well as its search partners. However, the new tool includes search data for Google only.

•••
I just purchased a domain with Global monthly searches 2,900

I made sure to hit "exact" on the Google keywords tool.

Any guesses as to what this number would be on the old Google keyword system?

I wish that Google would give us some formula to figure it out.

Thanks...

•••
how can we compress the results i wonder , takes forever to scroll down while only seeing a few results at a time

Go hit the 'column' button and then DESELECT the 'local search trends' checkbox, that's what takes up most of the room. (if that's what you meant)

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

I just purchased a domain with Global monthly searches 2,900

I made sure to hit "exact" on the Google keywords tool.

Any guesses as to what this number would be on the old Google keyword system?

I wish that Google would give us some formula to figure it out.

Thanks...

I think there are far too many metrics for any of us to ever figure out a simplistic formula to compensate, or for Google to bother explaining to us lowly domaineeers. As you can see from the old/new search numbers I posted on the previous page, it seems pretty all over the place.

•••
Go hit the 'column' button and then DESELECT the 'local search trends' checkbox, that's what takes up most of the room. (if that's what you meant)

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

I think there are far too many metrics for any of us to ever figure out a simplistic formula to compensate, or for Google to bother explaining to us lowly domaineeers. As you can see from the old/new search numbers I posted on the previous page, it seems pretty all over the place.

Thanks :) Buying domain names feels like guess work now :td::td:

•••

That's better thanks ......repped !

•••
The reason for the drop in the amount of exact searches is that the old Google Keyword Tool included data from Google as well as its search partners. However, the new tool includes search data for Google only.

Since Google dominates with about 70% of SE traffic, that means that the new KW tool should only have a 30% drop in relation to the old tool. In reality I'm noticing a drop of about 80-90% in most cases. Something else is going on and so far the big G has given no proper explanation of this massive diference.
This is going to anger a lot of people who may end up with tons of crappy domains with hardly any traffic.

•••
Google numbers are off, sometimes wildly, and have been widely talked about elsewhere on the net. Run a search.

I think the new tool partly attempts to correct that, but it's never a good idea to trust any such tool. For starters, I try running backup check using Aaron wall's tool. Then I look at the results for the term. Quite often, a phrase like "cream cone" will get great numbers. (I'm using this as an example, and haven't bothered actually checking.) The problem is that everyone is searching for "ice cream cone." In theory, exact search was supposed to root these out. In practice, it didn't always.

Conversely, the exact search numbers might be rubbish, but the phrase search could make your keyword a real winner. You can't just take Google's word for it, you have to go and look at the results.

Finally, try to find how much traffic the top rated sites are getting. Sometimes you can get a rough idea. If the top site for a term that gets 150,000 exact searches according to Google is only getting 5 or 10,000 visitors a month, something is off.

I have a site that is atop a modest little niche, and I know for a fact that Google's exact search numbers are actually way too low. Good for me, as it keeps competitors away.

On the other hand, I have sites that are near the top for something Google said would attract 8000 monthly searches, and the traffic is simply not there.

It's just a tool, like Estibot's appraisal tool. It's useful to a degree, as long as you are aware of the limitations.

•••
Google dominates with about 70% of SE traffic

But I don't believe that it's just from people going to Google.com, I know portals with millions and millions of visitors per day, all using Google search, not to mention the thousands of small publishers.

So I guess that those 70% is from Google.com + all other places using Google search.
If we now just see Google.com results I understand the big drop.

One question, is Google.de, Google.co.uk, Google.fr, etc, included?

I don't really care about the numbers, some are way above, others way below, what matters to me are good related phrases, and I'll take those from other places from now on.

•••
Putting aside the numbers, overall this tool isn't good at all for domain mining.

•••
Its true that that the numbers for the 'exact' searches are way down , but on the outer hand - the new 'google instant' makes the exact search volume to be less relevant

also another point with the google instant is that less and less people are actually pressing the "search" button... does those searches being counted ?

•••
Exactly, for me my main problem is the quality and quantity of related phrases.

BUT, the search numbers are also annoying, a few days ago I bought a domain in an auction, because it had more than 200k exact match searches and now it's saying 590!!!
How is that difference because of search partners?

•••
The new tool provides too different numbers, the error is not negligible. I've come to the conclusion that Insights + Trends constitute currently the best alternative to the former tool.

•••
surely the google instant system gives more emphasis to the first keyword in a domain name, as this is what will be dynamically displayed first when users are searching - it sort of renders secondary+ keywords irrelevant, because most users will have what they're looking for after the first keyword...
I wonder if this has something to do with the google keyword Tool showing erroneous search volume figures.

•••
surely the google instant system gives more emphasis to the first keyword in a domain name, as this is what will be dynamically displayed first when users are searching - it sort of renders secondary+ keywords irrelevant, because most users will have what they're looking for after the first keyword...
I wonder if this has something to do with the google keyword Tool showing erroneous search volume figures.

Yes , not great news for long tails

•••
Does not even work

Ok maybe its my fault for ownig an older Mac

BUT

the new tool does not even work. I can't get past the security check captcha.

So ya it sucks.

•••
Ok maybe its my fault for ownig an older Mac

BUT

the new tool does not even work. I can't get past the security check captcha.

So ya it sucks.

Once you type in the code, hitting enter on your keyboard doesn't work - you have to actually click the button with your mouse.

•••
What's annoying like people mention is that it doesn't spit out variable search terms that get traffic.

If I type in "plastic balloons" it doesn't provide phrase match variations of "plastic balloons" like "orange plastic balloons" or "buy plastic balloons" even if I check the box under "advanced options" - "Ideas containing my search terms".

So I end up going to Traffic Travis and searching "plastic balloons", find out all other variations people are searching for, discover "buy plastic balloons online" gets 1000 searches a day, go back to google's keyword tool, type in "buy plastic balloons online" and discover with exact match it gets 10'000/mth.

That's long winded and annoying.

Note: All hypothetical search terms and search results.

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Also - if you search the word "scam", zero results appear.

Are some search terms black listed?

Last edited:
•••
welcome Rob,
i can imagine a few well-established sites are scratching their heads as to where all their traffic has gone; not a problem though - they can simply pay google for adwords to get all their traffic back again, lol ;)

to be honest, im sick to the back teeth of seeing google ads, im sure others are also, so maybe they're shaking-up their business model.

•••
I know

Once you type in the code, hitting enter on your keyboard doesn't work - you have to actually click the button with your mouse.

I know that I need to hit that little submit button. Its does not work.

My Mac is old
therefore;
I can not upgrade the operating system beyond its current version (processor issue)
therefore
I can not upgrade the version of Firefox beyond its current version.
therefore

It ain't working.

I know buy I new machine, but its crazy that I need a new machine when the old version of the keyword tool worked fine. I'd like to still have the option to use the old one.

Rant is over...

•••
- I hate this new interface also and thought they would continue the old one. You would think they would SEE how many people were using it and continue providing it, but if it costs them more for domainers and SEOs using it than advertisers.... well that may be why the changed it.

- As mentioned above, the kwyword tool now does not show searches from partners and this seems to be why the numbers have dropped. This makes no sense since often we get more of our traffic from the search partners than from just Google. Now that data is not available. S-T-U-P-I-D!!!!

- I checked a keyword yesterday and got back 800 results. THIS is a positive change IMO. I have always been frustrated by the 200 KW limit.

- From the other posts above, I don't think some people realize the limitations of the "exact match" and other search results and how it relates to domainging. The number is only an indicator of how may searches are being done and does not have anything to do with how many searches your doamin will get. I can take a domain which has NO KEYWORDS and get traffic and clicks after some time by using optmization and link-building. Most domains get little or now type-in traffic from what I have seen unless you have something that is really good and really popular.

- If you don't have an ADWORDS account, then don't expect any complaints to have much effect. If you DO have an adwords account, then you should make the effort to contact Google several times and complain, if you also dislike the new Keyword Tool.

Can people start posting where we should be emailing or entering messages at Google about this? I'm going to send a message to our Google reps and see if that helps...! If you have an adwords account, this may be the best option, to get the employees talking to management about it.

•••
welcome Rob,
i can imagine a few well-established sites are scratching their heads as to where all their traffic has gone; not a problem though - they can simply pay google for adwords to get all their traffic back again, lol

to be honest, im sick to the back teeth of seeing google ads, im sure others are also, so maybe they're shaking-up their business model.

Thanks mate. Late reply is due to me keeping my forum participation at an arms length now as that's all I did the 1st yr or so and got nothing done!

On your views of adsense I agree. Makes sites look ad spammy and ugly.

Can't remeber who's vid it was but a recent SE survey concluded in the US that the decline of adsense clicks had risen Alot, plus adwords ctr was also on a big decline whilst organic spots 2,3,4 ctr had risen big time.

People look for community based good qulity info websites much more now.

Pretty much most of the time when I'm looking for info now, I automatically scroll down to see if there are comments, fake, spam or not.

I personally never click an adsense or adwords add unless it's IM related, ie to see how the big guns are doing it.

•••
nielsencl, I sent my opinion about the removal of the legacy tool directly from my Adwords account, but more than one week later I got no reply. If sufficient people did the same perhaps they could give it again, they said that partner's data was removed because some advertisers asked for that...
So, lets make them know that some advertisers want it back, even if on a separated url, as it already was, and they can put a big disclaimer saying that it includes partner information and that the numbers may be overestimated. I don't care what they write to protect themselves, I understand that, but give this useful tool back.

As a developer AND an advertiser, I hate the new tool! And I can tell you that I was a beta tester for Adwords, I'm a long time user...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back