IT.COM

question Keep domain with parking page or put relevant content on the domain to increase SEO value for next owner?

NameSilo
Watch

pacifist

Impact
I’m thinking that by putting some content on the empty domain with time it will increase the SEO value of it.

Therefore a new owner that is buying the domain will get more value from such a domain.

You might be concerned about some buyers that wants a domain without history. You could block web archive and also remove the content at any time.

Another issue is that by having content is not clearly that the domain is for sale but you could put a banner.

What do you think? Is a good idea or bad? Increases the value of the domain or not

If you already thought about it, why you didn’t do it already? Too expensive to host? Too hard to manage? Doesn’t allow you to focus on buying new domains(distracts you from your main business)? Other reasons?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
When I mean content is just one page or 2 that targets the main keywords. The cost would not be high and could be outsourced.

•••
I though about that too, as I have a few key word domains. The first question that came to my mind was that what’s the exact value I’d be creating. If talking ab seo value, it requires quality content and backlinks. If domain has existing traffic and backlinks, it could make sense. If not, unsure how much value to be created there with just a page or two, unless you’re going to work on it.

there may be other creative ways I may now have thought I bet. How did you think ab it?

•••
I though about that too, as I have a few key word domains. The first question that came to my mind was that what’s the exact value I’d be creating. If talking ab seo value, it requires quality content and backlinks. If domain has existing traffic and backlinks, it could make sense. If not, unsure how much value to be created there with just a page or two, unless you’re going to work on it.

there may be other creative ways I may now have thought I bet. How did you think ab it?

I’m thinking that if you put some content now it will get the domain out of the Google sandbox (sometimes content doesn’t rank for a few months on new domains) so new client will get a domain ready to rank.

Content could be quality but you only need 1 or 2 pages which is cheap. That’s could be a 50usd investment per page. Or 25 usd for lower quality.

You just need an aged quality page to sometimes rank. But it’s true, sometimes might never rank and you lose out on this work.

If has no backlinks you can put a few backlinks from your other domains that already have some backlinks.

I think the mindset is that a 20% of the domains might start ranking and get some more additional backlinks and traffic, which increase value. You’re not creating a strong SEO website because it’s expensive, but you create a base for future SEO work.

If buyers have any SEO knowledge in sure they’d prefer a domain that it’s indexed and has some content rather than a parking page. Easier to build on top of this aged content.

The question is that this might not pay off because you invest 25-50% per domain and might not increase the value of the domain that much. But is hard to tell if it really makes a positive difference.

•••
Well, it makes sense when I read it, but I’d be eager to hear from people who may have tried and got some (good or bad) results. I’ll do some research and reading, and will share what I find,

•••
Yes it all depends on the costs and benefits. Id also want to hear from people that tried

•••
I think it's a waste of time and money (if you're paying for content). People buying domains usually have their own ideas with what they want to do with it. Never heard of sandbox being a concern. As far as paying for content, you'll basically be paying somebody that just uses ChatGPT for free. And you're not going to rank/get traffic for some 1/2 pager just thrown up.

•••
I think it's a waste of time and money (if you're paying for content). People buying domains usually have their own ideas with what they want to do with it. Never heard of sandbox being a concern. As far as paying for content, you'll basically be paying somebody that just uses ChatGPT for free. And you're not going to rank/get traffic for some 1/2 pager just thrown up.
You could probably do it yourself for free (but time is money) or get cheap fiverr providers.
You Don’t think it’s easier to rank for those keywords if you already have some content that is pre-existing rather than new content?

•••
Listing on Afternic using their nameservers (so less commission) is more valuable to me than a faint possibility that someone might appreciate the minuscule value I've added to the domain name.

Last edited:
•••
•••
As some others have said, I would just use Afternic nameservers and be done with it. Developing some mini site would be a waste of time IMO. With landing sites, I would only use it only to show the domain is for sale - no parking - parking could lead to a future UDRP.

Also, development would distract attention from the fact the domain is for sale!

•••
I've thought of doing it for a different reason. Not so much adding SEO value to the buyer, but to get more eyeballs on the domain during the buyer's inevitable research of that keyword. Have articles targeting the top keywords associated. It would need relative, real links to work.

Ppl are paying a hefty commission for Brandbucket and Squadhelp for Google ads. How I envision it is to get similar results using SEO to attract traffic.

•••
Unless you plan on fully building out the domain (which is a completely different business model), I would not do this. As others have pointed out, there is a high likelihood that the content you add will not be relevant to the buyer.

I would highly advise against getting cheap content from Fiverr as you suggested, because it is still TBD how Google is going to treat AI content (and it will be AI content from Fiverr). This could potentially deter a buyer if they consider the thin content you added as a potential liability.

Even if it did add some small percentage of value to your buyer, it isn't a scalable process. You would have to hire, train, and manage staff to do this at scale, which would negate the potential upside.

Just my 2 cents.

•••
If has no backlinks you can put a few backlinks from your other domains that already have some backlinks.
Dont do this. Google will penalise you for it. It now takes exception to PBNs (private blog networks)

Ive tried setting up a simple landin page on www.colourmeanings.com. I havent looked at it for ages and just looked at it now and realised that the form isnt working. And that is the problem. If you dont constantly monitor it and test the forms regularly (I do all the updates, I just dont visit it) then things can break.

Last edited:
•••
invest more into the domain or stay on your initial investment is the essential question here
creating SEO value out of thin air or little work is not possible some spend thousands on backlinks and content can vary from AI generated at few cents each article to 50$/100$ articles but sometimes you might be thinking you are creating something useful or helpful to the new owner when you are just getting the domain penalized so leave as is unless you know what you are doing!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back