NameSilo

Here's a new one for me...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Just got off the phone with a GD rep who's pretty much begging me to sell them one of my recently-registered .info's for low-mid $xxx. Apparently GD somehow lost a client's domain and now must pay me out of pocket to correct their mistake. He wants me to do GD a "big favor" and in turn be rewarded with quick cash, "etc".

What would you do? Save GD's ass, or play hardball? :cy:

ALSO, if anyone has the ability to look up the previous owner of my domain, please PM me. I'd greatly appreciate it!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

This smells off...

I would make sure that it's Godaddy calling you and not a scammer. Call the official number listed on the website (or email the OFFICIAL email addy) and tell the rep what you told us.

That should clear things up.

If this is a godaddy rep (and I have my doubts), you have to decide if the domain is one that you want to sell at that price.

I certainly wouldn't offer "charity" to a domain registrar that makes millions a day.

•••
I would flip it and move on to the next bigger project. Ask top end of there offer and a free replacement reg credit lol Is there any other godaddy extra you can think of that you would want (cant think any myself) but this is the time to ask. Is name held at godaddy?

•••
Oh it's legit, the call came from their Domain Buy service number and the guy left me a message. I called back, had my call transferred to him and spoke with him for a solid 5-10 minutes. Kept stressing that GD "needs" to get the domain back for their customer. I told him "I'll think it over". Although, I'm not really sure what to make of it yet... The domain has a huge number of potential end users and is registered in most every extension, so it could definitely be considered a desirable domain.

Certainly is unusual, at any rate.

@johname: Definitely need to think it over. What I'm wondering is, does GD fear a lawsuit if they don't secure my domain? Or??? This guy's straight up begging for me to do them a favor. :P

Last edited:
•••
Yes well you did register it to sell to an enduser who had named a high fee they were willing to pay for that keyword in a TLD so it is up to GD to match what you were going to get elsewhere, plus maybe a bit for your time and the disappointment to your customer.

I heard of this happening at Moniker, also with a .info, and the person getting well paid to hand the domain back. It isn't just GD letting down the domain owner (if their story is true) it risks real damage to the confidence of GD users so it is worth it to them to spend to cover it up to keep customers and keep earning big $$$.

GD charge you all sorts of nasty unexpected penalty fees, I'm sure they understand the concept well.

Last edited:
•••
I would first try the Wayback Machine to get some idea of what the site was and maybe see who owned it (company name, contact info).
You can also use DomainTools but it will cost you.

First try this,
http://archive.org/web/web.php

Also I would probably ask double what they are offering.

Good luck

Last edited:
•••
What I'm wondering is, does GD fear a lawsuit if they don't secure my domain? Or??? This guy's straight up begging for me to do them a favor. :P

They might be willing to give you high dollar for the name just to quickly make things right with the 1st owner(and not look like such an ass to him/her). But if you hardball them too much things will swift back to the original owners corner, who might be extremely glad to take the money thats being offered to you.

Cash in and buy a name higher up the ladder is my advice. Goodluck

•••
that sure is an interesting one... but, before aiming "too" high and perhaps being more unreasonable/expensive than it is worth to GD, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving any sort of advice unless I knew more about this:

GD somehow lost a client's domain

since, if it was some sort of glitch/oversight/mistake etc on the part of godaddy it seems that they could easily enough just TAKE the domain back (I imagine there is some clause in the tos covering it in some general way) if need be. Would be different if the previous buyer, for whatever reason a preferred customer of GD etc, made the mistake and let it expire etc and is now raising a huff wanting the domain back no matter what.... but if it was an error on behalf of GD I would be concerned that they would just refund my money and reclaim the domain if that was the "best" solution for them. But, again, that is not knowing the details regarding how the domain was "lost"/came into your possession and the fact that they are even offering to buy it for a "reasonable" price out of pocket seems to indicate that just taking it back wasn't the obvious/easiest course of action to take.... good luck with it!

•••
I'm not a fan of godaddy so I'd be more inclined to play hardball with 'em.

If you use GD frequently and are inclined to work with them, I'd take their low-mid xxx offer and counter with low-mid xxx plus the same amount in account credit.

Last edited:
•••
...just wondering, if it was a common "Joe Schmoe" like you or me would the person be as panicky in getting the name back. Hard to say.

It could be someone's job on the line for all I know.

I like Godaddy, however, and that being said it's totally your call to say yes or no. It just may be that they are expecting you to up the ante a tad. Not knowing the name I can't say if I would give it up at the price they proffer, but I am a sucker for people in a jam and really dislike taking advantage of a situation where people can get in trouble if they have been fair to me, REGARDLESS OF HOW MUCH MONEY THE COMPANY MAKES, but that's just me.

I still like to maintain a modicum of ethics in my business practices...

•••
I'd take their low-xxx offer and counter with low-mid xxx

sounds like they already are in the mid xxx level

for low-mid $xxx.

and counter with low-mid xxx plus the same amount in account credit.

doubling up on the account credit might be pushing it, but great if it works.

$1000 and no less.

Then the original owner will get a "how much can we give you to make you happy call" Which will probably be accepted, then our np friend is back to emailing "endusers" begging them to buy it for low xxx

OP did you bid against others to acquire the name?

Last edited:
•••
•••

I just noticed that it's a .info. Unless it's a truly premium word, you might do well to accept that offer.

I think research into the domain might be a good idea.

•••
Accept the offer imho.... Im surprised GD hasnt just taken the domain back from you....

•••
sounds like they already are in the mid xxx level

yes, I meant "low-mid xxx", that was a typo.

doubling up on the account credit might be pushing it, but great if it works.

I don't think that's pushing it. They're in a jam, they need the domain, and the account credit won't cost them very much. "Store credit" is better than handing out cash and I think they'd be more willing to agree to that. It's an opening counter-offer, they're free to accept it or make another offer.

•••
Since it is a .INFO and unless it is a Premium name then just try and get something like $500 to $750 in credit.

With $7.49 coupons you can buy almost 65 to 100 .com's with that :)

•••
yes, I meant "low-mid xxx", that was a typo.

I don't think that's pushing it. They're in a jam, they need the domain, and the account credit won't cost them very much. "Store credit" is better than handing out cash and I think they'd be more willing to agree to that. It's an opening counter-offer, they're free to accept it or make another offer.

Good suggestion imo.

People here are thinking like domainers, where the point of a domain is to find a buyer, any buyer. Lots of people own domains to use or because they like them, and would be incredibly annoyed and vocal about losing a domain or having one taken away because of a registrar's mistake.

I doubt they can just take the domain back (check TOS) and even if they can that would be terrible PR / customer relations. They need to find a solution that keeps everyone happy.

They could have just approached you via a proxy to buy it but that would take time and not play on your potential sense of obligation.

•••
I'd ask for a ride in Danica's car. Not while racing obviously as I don't like being in a crash... but it would be fun.

If you got that you could trade with MG who has a Danica obsession.

How old is it?

"Go Daddy also may in its sole discretion and without liability to you delete the registration of any domain name during the first thirty (30) days after registration has taken place." <--Perhaps this is what they did by mistake, too

•••
We really have zero information on the "mistake" we dont even know it the names at godaddy or dropped and at another register. And i would bet its not something like gold.info

"People here are thinking like domainers" yeah I am because I would lean towards dustep being a domainer. And even if the other party is not a domainer there a point where godaddy will say to him or her "we messed up, but where not going back a brinks truck into your driveway making it up to you."

They also might tell the OP it was there mistake but not admit that to the other party

Two tickets to next years Godaddy Bowl and an Africa elephant hunt! %%-

•••
I'd ask for a ride in Danica's car.

If we are going to go that far then insist on a night on the town with Bob Parsons, that guy knows how to party :laugh:

•••
If we are going to go that far then insist on a night on the town with Bob Parsons, that guy knows how to party :laugh:

There I was thinking someone would just remove 's car from my suggestion... :hearts:

•••
So, your negotiation strategy for dealing with a domain registrar who, for some bizarre reason, wants to acquire a .info name you just hand-registered is to make an open post on Namepros and ask the other monkeys what to do?

Here's a protip, Einstein.
Everything that's been said here is now being read by your counterparty at Godaddy.

Well done...

•••
So, your negotiation strategy for dealing with a domain registrar who, for some bizarre reason, wants to acquire a .info name you just hand-registered is to make an open post on Namepros and ask the other monkeys what to do?

Everything that's been said here is now being read by your counterparty at Godaddy.

Well done...

Because GoDaddy employees spend their days trawling through poorly titled threads at a forum filled with monkeys to assist them in recovering a .info?

Danica, if you're reading this. any chance I could get a ride in your car?

Call me :hearts:

•••

Well done...

I think you can easily get your point across without the insults.

•••
Because GoDaddy employees spend their days trawling through poorly titled threads at a forum filled with monkeys to assist them in recovering a .info?

Danica, if you're reading this. any chance I could get a ride in your car?

Call me :hearts:

My GoDaddy rep actually referred me here and to DNF lol.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back