Domain Empire

Eurid says no selling of .eu names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I wrote a mail to Eurid yesterday to inquire when their system would be ready to handle transfers of .eu names that had been sold and needed to be transferred to the new owner.
This is the reply I got.

Geachte heer,

Het is helemaal niet de bedoeling dat .eu domeinnamen �verkocht� worden�
Om welke domeinnaam gaat het trouwens, het is misschien best dat ons juridisch
departement dit even onderzoekt om de te gaan of u niet met illegale praktijken
bezig bent.

Mvg

Translated it means: "It is not allowed to sell .eu names. Which name is this about? Maybe it is best our juridical department investigates if you are busy with illegal practises."

Now what the!!!.......

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Damion said:
That's not really a point of attack since if i am correct this also applies to .com's and other extensions.
The registrant holder is the licensee to use the domain for their personal/business practices and if a original holder decides to transfer this license according to their own fee it's their decision.

Could i be wrong here? Just my assumption ;)
It is the way that some ccTLDs think in Europe. A domain transfer is essentially a new contract. And the registry has the option of not renewing or validating the new contract. That's the point of attack - registry discretion. The archaic thinking dates back to the concept in ccTLDs that only businesses had domains. Therefore if the business was sold, then the domain would go with it.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
So if i understand correctly a transfer to a new host would mean a new contract and Eurid having the ability to block this?
How counterproductive could things get? :'(

•••
Hmm...now i feel ashamed to be apart of europe...

•••
Damion said:
So if i understand correctly a transfer to a new host would mean a new contract and Eurid having the ability to block this?
How counterproductive could things get? :'(
Well a new registrant means a new licence/contract. Only in some of the more antiquated ccTLDs in Europe, a domain transfer even between "registrars" means a faxed authorisation. The registry always has the option to suspend domains and that rather iffy e-mail at the top of the thread makes it look like EUrid are coming under pressure to limit the speculative/after market. Hopefully things will work out. :)

What may happen is that the other contacts for the domain and the nameservers may change but the domains may appear to be registered to the same individuals. That's how things were done in some of the backward ccTLDs. But the scale of the problem is probably too large for EUrid to handle so they may just stick their heads further into the sand.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
:lol: But i think Eurid have all systems to domain transfer but they want to avoid cybersquotting (as there were a lot of them)

In this case i and most(?) of us have nothink to be worry about....

But they didn`t wrote speculation is illegal! Not only cybersquatting! :ghost:

P.S.
Did they say if they are going to check hundreds of phantome-registrations or not? And was it "legal" or not?

•••
jmcc said:
... But the scale of the problem is probably too large for EUrid to handle so they may just stick their heads further into the sand.
You are probably right about that! There is no way EUrid didn't see all this coming given the lessons derived from Afilias. Once all the money is raked in, registry goes into super-stealth mode and backs away from the aftermath.

•••
I was at the Domain Roundtable conference this week and there was a session about .eu with a panel. I only made it at the end but the knowledgeable people on the panel said (but no guarantee) that before the end of the year eurid will have a transfer of ownership policy and system in place - of course that could come way sooner than then.

I agree that it is kind of ridiculous that they started without one. You would think that they would assume that people may want to transfer ownership of .eu names.....anyway it will eventually be possible to do that.

Peace,
Tarry G

•••
More likely they are gonna put in place a $100 transfer fee when the registrant changes
as an admin charge...that way they will make even more cash !!!!!

•••
OMG that's terrible... and I expected .eu sales to go up but... if you can't even transfer them...

•••
Let's report eurid.eu to bbb.org, I do not like monkeys managing the .eu registry.

•••
quality said:
More likely they are gonna put in place a $100 transfer fee when the registrant changes
The transfer free is 10 Euros to the registrar since each transferred domain is effectively a new contract/licence for the domain.

Regards...jmcc

pr1pl said:
:lol: But i think Eurid have all systems to domain transfer but they want to avoid cybersquotting (as there were a lot of them)

In this case i and most(?) of us have nothink to be worry about....

But they didn`t wrote speculation is illegal! Not only cybersquatting! :ghost:
It is in the regulations - speculative and abusive registrations. The legislation itself seems powerful but the problem is EUrid.

The Commission has asked EUrid to investigate the problem:
http://www.europeanaffairschannel.net/en/news.aspx

The written response from the Commission spokesman is interesting because it lays out the sections under which a domain could be revoked.

Did they say if they are going to check hundreds of phantome-registrations or not? And was it "legal" or not?
It is difficult to get an accurate answer on this one as EUrid have been trying to get out of this problem. I think that the scale of the bogus registrar problem is going to be their first target.

Just to put it in perspective:

The number of bogus registrars is estimated to be over 700.

Each registrar makes a prepayment of 10000 Euros.

Each new .eu registration costs a registrar 10 Euros.

Each of these bogus registrars can register 1000 domains.

Potentially these bogus registrars have registered 700,000 .eu domains.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
Funny how you didn't mention selling to them, just transferring to a new owner or account, and they automatically assume that you are selling. .eu, what a joke.

•••
you should still be able to transfer the domain as long as it remains within the same registrar. All the registrar does is change the whois details, no actual transfer is needed.

•••
Hi,

It's written in my language and let me tell you that whoever wrote this did not finished school, in the way and with the errors in it I can't believe that this is serious. Ps. I assume that your letter was in plain English and it looks rude to me to reply in Dutch.

Regards

•••
The e-mail I received from EURID I cut and pasted and posted it here. It is the excact letter inclusive of the spelling mistakes. My query to them was also in Dutch as Eurid is based in Belgium.

•••
quality said:

Holy crap, quality beat me to the punch...

Yeah, I could see them trying something like this to discourage small time speculators...

The solution might be owning only 1 .eu per account and then turning over the account, but that might just be another "illegal" workaround ;)

-Allan :gl:

•••
Well... maybe it would be reasonable to park off my 50 domains from sedo and direct them to page with "Under construction" massage untill those debates and investigations will be finished? :}

•••
i have pushed one of my .eu's to another account. no problem at all!

•••
kevmacmeh said:
i have pushed one of my .eu's to another account. no problem at all!
Push is not the problem, its changing the Whois info.

•••
Oo, nice. Good slap on the wrists of you domainsquatters. At least one domain registry entity has realized how business and money kills good things and how evil domainsquatting/parking is.

Last edited:
•••
Lumpio- said:
Oo, nice. Good slap on the wrists of you domainsquatters. At least one domain registry entity has realized how business and money kills good things and how evil domainsquatting is.

:) don't worry I'm sure this is just a pure misunderstanding which is temporary of course and is merely the result of lack of technical means for name transfers. engineers currently working on it and 'll put the functionality in place! peace

•••
vitalir: *sigh* This is what happens when suit-and-tie-wearing corrupted business people get to decide and not the people who actually know Good from Evil.

•••
When I was a teenager, about 20 years ago, I used to scan vacancies in newspapers to see if I could find a job or career. Many vacancies asked for applicants who have "common sense". You never see *common sense" asked for job vacancies these days. Staff are given lists of rules and who ever writes the rules cannot foresee half the circumstances to which the rules will be applied. Decisions are then made which lack any human sense. Of course, if staff don't follow the rules they get a rocket

•••
If you think all that sucked, wait 'til you hear a registrar's CEO complaints how
hard it was to figure out the backend to allow edit DNS, change contacts, and
what have you for .eu domains. Sheesh.

•••
What I think is funny about all of this: I bet not a single one of you complaining about lack of transfer had read the registry's terms of service before registering .eu names. Everyone assumes that because there's so much hype about a new extension and that it will represent a large area of the world that the names can be resold.

I deal with a lot of different ccTLDs, and I have run up against 3 extensions of whom their registries say names cannot be resold. I then contacted the registry and asked them if that was truly the case, and all of them recanted, essentially saying you could push names registered with them, but no transfers to other registrars were allowed. I still feel it was the right course of action for me to take, because I would only have my own stupidity to blame if it turns out I can't sell the names I register, and likewise you all would only have yourselves to blame if that was the case with .eu. I would agree that it would be caveman times if they really believe the extension will be viable with no transfer of ownership allowed, but if they are in charge of the extension, it's their call.

No one however has mentioned anything about their TOS and I'm not about to waste my time looking for it...I didn't buy any .eu. :) Good luck to those who did.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back