NameSilo

Difference between MySQL and SQL Server - Which one is better?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dkr

Respect My Authority!VIP Member
Impact
Hi there,

I am working with a client that is looking to use a database that is most effective for speed and efficiency on a popular website. I have experience with MySQL, but have barely touched SQL Server before.

What are the advantages of SQL Server over MySQL, and what major differences are there for the two?

Also, is SQL Server available on a Linux server? Why is MySQL so much more popular over SQL Server?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have never dealt with SQL Server, but I tend to make sure the server my MySQL database is running off of uses SCSI hard drives and plenty of RAM.

http://www.google.com/search?source...l+vs+sql+server&aq=f&aqi=g7&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

I read the first few articles and it appears MySQL is the better decision.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Also, is SQL Server available on a Linux server? Why is MySQL so much more popular over SQL Server?

I think because Ms SQL Server is for windows and the majority of the web servers run Linux hence the reason they run MySQL.

I'd stick with Linux (CentOS or similar) and MySQL. This is from what I have read comparing MySQL to SQL server. I have not used SQL server, nor do I ever plan on moving to a windows-based server OS. I'd run an Mac OSX Server before I run a Windows Server ;)

•••
For one - MySql is opensource and there is a loving community behind it. And its free and its stable and its widely used. Once something gets widely used, it again gets widely used... and the cycle repeats itself.

•••
Check this article to see the difference between MySQL and SQL server.

•••
•••
I would say MySQL is free and easy-to-use, while MSSQL is paid and difficult to deal with :)

•••
MySQL is better all around the board. As far as speed, if you optimize /etc/my.cnf to your system's specifications and make sure that your scripts are optimized you would need little resources. Make sure to use proper indexes in your tables too. One site I have gets over 100K pageviews a day and my CPU (P4 3GHZ w/HT) maxes out at 12% and RAM (2 GB DDR) at 36%.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back