NameSilo

Bidding on your own names at NameJet...?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Once in awhile I see people bidding on their own domains at NJ. I would think it would be frowned upon.

Today's seems more obvious than normal. Or am I missing something here?

Airlinejobs.com owned by Andy Booth at Booth.com and high bidder is BQDNcom (James Booth).

3 bids down we see Boothcom as a bidder.

Same thing with MovieZone.com. Owned by Andy Booth in which he currently appears to be the high bidder.

High Bid: $2,475 USD by boothcom

They actually won their own domain airplanesforsale.com. Im guessing it didnt get as high as they wanted so needed to protect it.

Bidder Amount Date
bqdncom $2,001 7/17/2017 12:23 PM
boothcom $1,950 7/17/2017 12:23 PM

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not sure if you believe in the 80-20 rule but I would say I buy 80% of my domain from 20% of the sellers. Often I feel it's more like 95-5, especially when it comes to the niche domains I buy. Now I'm not sure if that's the situation with Oliver because I don't know him but it seems possible. Thank you for your answers.
I do, but I don't believe in the 94% - 1% rule :) Why buy such an enormously high percent from Oliver and not other sellers? You pay NJ and the domain is automatically transferred, who you're buying from should be totally irrelevant in this situation. What you're describing is different (and understandable) because you want to work with people who you know are fast, easy, trustworthy and who you have a relationship with but when buying on NJ it shouldn't matter.

•••
When users of [an] auction platform have a "plan", are selling someone elses domains, bidding on them which gives the appearance that they are bidding there own names, setting Next bid wins after a mysterious [x] bids high...all of this should be violations.

Yes...violations for sure...maybe an auction marketplace enjoys the added income they make on higher closing bids?

Last edited:
•••
•••
And don't forget they shared parking accounts.

Donny
I thought there was a possibility that the new owner never bothered to change his server settings? Maybe I'm wrong here.

•••
•••
I thought there was a possibility that the new owner never bothered to change his server settings? Maybe I'm wrong here.

There is also the possibility if you get shot once by a gun that you will live, but 30 times, probably not.

Donny

•••
I do, but I don't believe in the 94% - 1% rule :) Why buy such an enormously high percent from Oliver and not other sellers? You pay NJ and the domain is automatically transferred, who you're buying from should be totally irrelevant in this situation. What you're describing is different (and understandable) because you want to work with people who you know are fast, easy, trustworthy and who you have a relationship with but when buying on NJ it shouldn't matter.

Thanks again Michael for sharing/analyzing your statistics that you've been tracking at NJ!

Difficult to come up with a valid story that explains this type of anomaly in the numbers, especially when you take everything together as a whole.

This whole thing just stinks.

•••
@Oliver Hoger Regarding HKDN:

I have posed this simple question multiple times but still no answer from Oliver. Let me ask again.

From time to time, does HKDN sell domain names back to you privately that he/she/bot previously won in a NJ auction?

Last edited:
•••
I have sat back and read all of this, and wanted to wait a little for the dust to settle. Clearly the writing is already on the wall. I think it is time that I addressed the original issue. A mistake was made by me, not the 'Booth bros'. Andy Booth, not James Booth.

There was a misunderstanding in terms of the status of this small handful of domains. I had thought they were already sold (we had discussed a trade value, me and Oliver do this kind of thing all the time), that once again they were free game at auction, but it later became apparent that wasn't the case. Oliver's intentions with the domains were only to list them on my behalf. Obviously when that came to light, I knew I had screwed up.

I have no track record of being a shill bidder. I am not in the business of pumping up or inflating a domain value. I naively wasn't fully aware of the TOS at NJ, and given I was not technically the seller, tried to genuinely buy some of the domains back (as technically they were already transferred. Despite Whois records indicating I was still owner, they were out of my hands/control).

James' involvement (BQDNcom) was innocent - he wasn't in on anything. Just because we are the 'Booth brothers', it doesn't mean that we always work together. James does his own thing for the most part. Sometimes we are connected, for example in the case of buying D8.com, but generally he conducts his business alone. He was obviously aware that these domains were about to be put up for sale and saw an opportunity. His intentions weren't to inflate the values. He actually won 2 of the small handful of auctions that DID complete either for himself, or on behalf of a client. Even more disturbing, he in recent days received a death threat via his website, BQDN.com, about his Namejet bidding activity.

Oliver, thinking he was just selling for me, took it upon himself to bid on the domains that he knew had parking revenue. Those turned out to be the ones he genuinely wanted (take MovieZone as a case in point). Oli wasn't trying to inflate any value either. His understanding at this point was that he wanted to buy the good ones and his bid was not made to pump anything up, he had every intention to follow through.

I would never knowingly have sabotaged my own reputation for something like this. There was no attempt to disguise who we were (which obviously looks beyond stupid given what was come to light) in terms of bidding handles, nor was there attempt at fraud or deception. On the domains I was bidding for, I took the view that they were no longer mine, and I had as much right as anyone to buy them back. I even won one and had every intention of following through. Again, inflating the value was never the goal. There was genuine intent there.

About my activities in other auctions, such as MGP.com, I have never made any attempt to 'fake' a bid. If I'm bidding, it's because I want it.

Jonathan @NJ had a different understanding of the situation, and for that reason had defended me. There were several miscommunications during this debacle which is why it has escalated to this stage. It's unfair to make him the scapegoat as he was only doing his job.

I was the one here at fault, but I hope you understand that is was a genuine mistake, not part of some elaborate conspiracy to defraud anyone. I hold my hands up and apologize to anyone that may have been affected in bidding for those domains. I am disappointed to have let down the domaining community and have learned a lot from what has happened.

Even though this response came later in the game (after he knew he was caught) I have to respect the move of shielding his brother (despite whatever involvement he may have had)

I wish this was the first response instead of the bs that was fed earlier in the thread that helped fuel further investigations. People (especially domainers) don't like being lied to, and with little industry oversight, people don't always know how or where to channel their rage.

I am terribly sorry James has received threats. There is no place for this. I recommend forwarding said threats to the proper law enforcement for safe measure.

I think its obvious we're (Domainers) fed up. I'm not suggesting you (Andy) have any extensive knowledge of shady practices going on within the industry, but if you do I urge you to mitigate your wrongdoing by coming forward (publicly or privately) I think this would be the best remedy in the publics eye, to restore honor back to the booths name in the domaining world. Without such efforts, it appears (based on how this thread has played out) that the booths are only in it for themselves.

Again, to reiterate, death threats are unacceptable -- and I am sorry to see it came to that.

Last edited:
•••
It continues to amaze me that some of you guys would throw people under the bus so easily.

Are you friggin kidding me? Throwing these people under the bus?
Do us all a favor and recuse yourself from this thread because I want to puke every time you post something here! You obviously are defending these shill bidders for your own purposes and reasons, because I know you have read the whole thread because you have to comment after everybody elses comment. Don't you realize you are the only one, the ONLY ONE, defending them. Please just STOP!!!!!!!! It's quite obvious what is going on here, so stop with your self righteous bullshit!

•••
If you people believe any of the excuses that have been laid out here so far...

BBforSale.png

•••
Do us all a favor and recuse yourself from this thread because I want to puke every time you post something here! You obviously are defending these shill bidders for your own purposes and reasons, because I know you have read the whole thread because you have to comment after everybody elses comment. Don't you realize you are the only one, the ONLY ONE, defending them. Please just STOP!!!!!!!! It's quite obvious what is going on here, so stop with your self righteous bullsh*t!
What skin do I have in this game? I am speaking my mind instead of my emotions. A million people can say the sun is the moon and I will still say it's the sun. Because I can think for myself. Some of you should do that too.

•••
Oliver, thinking he was just selling for me, took it upon himself to bid on the domains that he knew had parking revenue. Those turned out to be the ones he genuinely wanted (take MovieZone as a case in point). Oli wasn't trying to inflate any value either. His understanding at this point was that he wanted to buy the good ones and his bid was not made to pump anything up, he had every intention to follow through.

If you have a namejet account, why would oliver have to sell the name for you on the same platform though?

In no way is this question accusatory, I would just like to understand the logic of this practice.

•••
What skin do I have in this game?

We'd all like to know? Because it's obviously something!

Because I can think for myself. Some of you should do that too.

Go back and read the entire thread again! The evidence that this is a shill bidding operation is absolutely over whelming!

Last edited:
•••
There is also the possibility if you get shot once by a gun that you will live, but 30 times, probably not.

Donny
LOL

Sometimes you wonder how they able to close such a deal in past. Now you have an idea, of their fast track to millions. Just shilling :)

Thank you to all members who help exposed!

Last edited:
•••
Do us all a favor and recuse yourself from this thread because I want to puke every time you post something here! You obviously are defending these shill bidders for your own purposes and reasons, because I know you have read the whole thread because you have to comment after everybody elses comment. Don't you realize you are the only one, the ONLY ONE, defending them. Please just STOP!!!!!!!! It's quite obvious what is going on here, so stop with your self righteous bullsh*t!
This guy joined namepros 3 weeks ago, I wouldn't put much weight on his comments.

I have emailed namejet for an audit of my account against shill bids from all such parties including tldpros. I suggest you all do the same also, just so they are aware how serious, and how many parties are concerned, and will be holding them liable for allowing such instances to happen, and continue.

Last edited:
•••
It is unfortunate that years after the Godaddy and Snapnames scandals, this industry is still lacking external audits and controls. There is a serious lack of transparency and accountability, and no regulation. Nothing has been done to improve that sad state of affairs. Irregularities have always been uncovered by the bidders or outsiders, whereas the auction houses should be on top of things. After all, they have the data. Instead, they wait for the next disaster to happen.
Is there any other industry in the real world that operates like ours ?

Not accusing anybody here, just pointing out that little is done to foster trust in the marketplace and the problem is not just NJ.

•••
It is unfortunate that years after the Godaddy and Snapnames scandals, this industry is still lacking external audits and controls. There is a serious lack of transparency and accountability, and no regulation. Nothing has been done to improve that sad state of affairs. Irregularities have always been uncovered by the bidders or outsiders, whereas the auction houses should be on top of things. After all, they have the data. Instead, they wait for the next disaster to happen.
Is there any other industry in the real world that operates like ours ?

Not accusing anybody here, just pointing out that little is done to foster trust in the marketplace and the problem is not just NJ.

Jonathon is on the hot seat, legal department most likley told him to keep his mouth shut from the parent company. All this happend under his watch, and he needs to be held accountable.

To see all this activity from a single account, a side account with the same user, bidding on their own auctions, HKDN what more do you need to say, there is a reason they have gone quiet.

•••
•••
We'd all like to know? Because it's obviously something!
So if I agree with an idea I am obviously connected to that person? Your comment represents what's wrong with this type of mob mentality. You accuse someone of something without any proof. That is wrong because you wouldn't want me to do the same to you.

•••
•••
I wonder which big fish will admit they own the HKDN account. Remember all arrows point to Oliver Hoger at the moment and to many if not all, it's quite conclusive.

We should get a poll out and list the possibilities. Somewhat like Clue the game ;)

HKDN is:

A. Oliver Hoger
B. A third party company setup by Oliver and the Booths
C. A big fish that has no relationship with Oliver or the Booths.

Oh so exciting to see what these guys come up with.

Also let's see what NameJet comes up with. That's almost just as exciting.

So rub your hands and pull up a seat, this entangled web of stories (i will be kind ;) is slowing unwinding.

And don't forget they shared parking accounts.

Donny

•••
This guy joined namepros 3 weeks ago, I wouldn't put much weight on his comments.

I would never discount anyone's commentary based on how long they have been here, but he's obviously "shilling" for these guys for some reason? I've only been here for 6 months too, but I have been involved in eCommerce for 2 decades. I have seen shill bidding up close on eBay and what happens to these types of folks. I know enough about the legal system, law enforcement and investigation techniques to be able to draw a very sure opinion of what exactly was and still is going on here! A forensic auditing of NameJet should most certainly be in the cards and then let's see where the chips may fall. I mean open your friggin eyes people!

•••
•••
HKDN is:

A. Oliver Hoger
B. A third party company setup by Oliver and the Booths
C. A big fish that has no relationship with Oliver or the Booths

who knows -- there are many other possibilities. D-Z

D. A big fish (not Oliver) that is partners, or in cahoots with Oliver. Somebody interested in keeping a floor price for 2-4Ls

E. NameJet internal

F. A smart toaster

G. A smart fridge

H. Anonymous the hacking group

I. DPR - Albreit

I find it strange Oliver shares the same WHOIS address as others in the industry. What are they trying to shield -- I don't get it. Maybe there is a fantasy island for domainers. I want to go to a fantasy island.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back