IT.COM

question Best domains to rent?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello!

I periodically see landing pages of domain owners who offer only "Rent this domain" option! (No buy it now or best offer)

I'd like to hear from you guys do you have domains in your portfolio that someone rent?

What kind of domains are perfect to rent and if possible I would like to see examples or ideas! Best industry for this type of domains etc!

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello!

I periodically see landing pages of domain owners who offer only "Rent this domain" option! (No buy it now or best offer)

I'd like to hear from you guys do you have domains in your portfolio that someone rent?

What kind of domains are perfect to rent and if possible I would like to see examples or ideas! Best industry for this type of domains etc!

Thanks!
Hey Samir,

Honestly i have no idea about renting as i am new to this,

But i can say it maybe cause a domain has good SEO and a renter may earn from it after doing more SEO on an existing traffic,

and coming onto the topic of how and what domains are perfect for renting i would advise to check backlinks and existing traffic of a domain before you make any deal.

Hope this helps. :xf.smile:

-Krishnal

•••
I often offer a "rent" option at 1% of the buy-now price or just a fixed price if the domain doesn't have a set price (just make offer). While intuitively you could think it's mostly used for the more expensive domains, there is really no limit, I have domains rented out for low two-figure monthly payments as well. The two most common scenarios are:
1. renting to test it before buying or while gathering the necessary capital (these clients usually need to have a guaranteed buyout price during the rental); it's good for them, because they can start using the domain right away, and for me, because the alternative would be just waiting for the sale without any pay.
2. just renting, without long-term plans. it's usually new enterprises that don't even know yet if they'll stay above water, or someone who needs a domain temporarily for a project/campaign; it's good for them, because they can use the domain they otherwise couldn't afford, and for me, because they wouldn't buy anyway so I earn some cash while keeping the domain.

IMO rentals are a good addition to the domain business and after a while can make a steady and predictable inflow of cash.

Last edited:
•••
I often offer a "rent" option at 1% of the buy-now price or just a fixed price if the domain doesn't have a set price (just make offer). While intuitively you could think it's mostly used for the more expensive domains, there is really no limit, I have domains rented out for low two-figure monthly payments as well. The two most common scenarios are:
1. renting to test it before buying or while gathering the necessary capital (these clients usually need to have a guaranteed buyout price during the rental); it's good for them, because they can start using the domain right away, and for me, because the alternative would be just waiting for the sale without any pay.
2. just renting, without long-term plans. it's usually new enterprises that don't even know yet if they'll stay above water, or someone who needs a domain temporarily for a project/campaign; it's good for them, because they can use the domain they otherwise couldn't afford, and for me, because they wouldn't buy anyway so I earn some cash while keeping the domain.

IMO rentals are a good addition to the domain business and after a while can make a steady and predictable inflow of cash.
A whole new information that i just learned today, thank you so much pb,

Would you tell me how renting works?

Like aren't there risks of you losing the domain or what assurity does the renter get that they won't lose the domain after payment or vice versa?

•••
I stay the registrant the whole time, the renter is just allowed to set their own nameservers / ns records / redirection. It's good to have a deal signed to cover the situation where they tarnish the domain's reputation or do something straight up illegal (otherwise you'll have a hard time explaining yourself to the authorities). It never happened to me but it's needed for that one time it may happen. Yes, there is always a risk you get hit with UDRP over something they've done and I don't think the court will take it into account that the domain was rented out. But everything comes with a risk, you just need to manage it properly.

•••
I stay the registrant the whole time, the renter is just allowed to set their own nameservers / ns records / redirection. It's good to have a deal signed to cover the situation where they tarnish the domain's reputation or do something straight up illegal (otherwise you'll have a hard time explaining yourself to the authorities). It never happened to me but it's needed for that one time it may happen. Yes, there is always a risk you get hit with UDRP over something they've done and I don't think the court will take it into account that the domain was rented out. But everything comes with a risk, you just need to manage it properly.
I see,
Thanks for the insights pb, appreciate it.:xf.smile:

•••
Unless I am running a temporary business, I would never rent a domain.

•••
Escrow.com can help you to avoid some of the risk. Create a long term payment plan, Escrow.com will hold the domain before the payment plan completed

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back