IT.COM

.mobi Afilias Acquires .Mobi

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Turn the clock back a couple of years, and it seems that member ( Jeff / Retired ) was right all along.

:wave:

Thanks for the post ... next we will see $1.00 .MOBI reg's (a la Afilias and the .89 cent .INFO's); but at the end of the day we are talking about the management of another long, four-lettered domain name that is unprofessional, effectively unbrandable & entirely awkward and NOT intuitive for quick & easy use by those that are "on the go", IMHO. :red: :talk:
Regardless, .MOBI registrations will continue to fall in my view!

Best regards,
Jeff B-)

Last edited:
•••
No different to any other extension, most sales aren't reported.

Thanks for making my point. Based on your own words, for you to spew percentages and numbers based on only a small fraction sales numbers (and some of those reported sales numbers are suspect due to fraud, shill bidding, and awful journalism by the reporting entity) demonstrates your bias and willingness to mislead, as though you were all-knowing. It just ain't so. But you're not alone, most players (auctioneers, ppc schemers, publishers of domain "news" sites) skew the facts to suit their own best interests. Your just another part of the problem.

•••
...nutcase of the month?

•••
Thanks for making my point. Based on your own words, for you to spew percentages and numbers based on only a small fraction sales numbers (and some of those reported sales numbers are suspect due to fraud, shill bidding, and awful journalism by the reporting entity) demonstrates your bias and willingness to mislead, as though you were all-knowing. It just ain't so. But you're not alone, most players (auctioneers, ppc schemers, publishers of domain "news" sites) skew the facts to suit their own best interests. Your just another part of the problem.

^ Seems like you meant to post this in another thread (perhaps the News Forum™), as I can't find the relevance in this context IMHO. :|

However, since we're discussing ... I agree with your ascertain that there were possibly a LOT of false / manipulated "reported / published sales" of .MOBI's early on, and this gave the illusion that there was a ready & willing (and healthy) aftermarket for these long & awkward domains! :rolleyes:
Indeed; these now seem to have been poor "comps" with which to judge the market! :sick: :imho:

Take care,
Jeff B-)

•••
However, since we're discussing ... I agree with your ascertain that there were possibly a LOT of false / manipulated "reported / published sales" of .MOBI's early on...

Actually HeyNow said some of those reported sales were suspect, it's your assertion that there were a LOT. If you're going to indict the extension and especially early adopters of mass fraud in this way it would be professional for you to back it up with a LOT of specifics or retract your irresponsible accusations.

•••
Actually HeyNow said some of those reported sales were suspect, it's your assertion that there were a LOT. If you're going to indict the extension and especially early adopters of mass fraud in this way it would be professional for you to back it up with a LOT of specifics or retract your irresponsible accusations.

You seem to have overlooked the word possibly in the post.

Although shill bidding by the major platforms has all but been eliminated, I still believe that it is prolific amongst like minded domain traders. One only has to look at the daily slog of $60 entries into Sedo auctions and scratch your head, wondering why the domain which was bid on, ever got registered in the first place.

•••
You seem to have overlooked the word possibly in the post.

possibly doesn't obviate responsibility for accusations of fraud. If I post that you possibly were involved in fraudulent activity here, I have a professional responsibility to provide evidence of my point since it is potentially slanderous of you, adding possibly doesn't reduce the harm, only my liability.

Although shill bidding by the major platforms has all but been eliminated, I still believe that it is prolific amongst like minded domain traders. One only has to look at the daily slog of $60 entries into Sedo auctions and scratch your head, wondering why the domain which was bid on, ever got registered in the first place.

Is this somehow unique to .mobi? That is what Jeff is implying.

Last edited:
•••

New and newer extensions, of which the ".MOBI" is part of ... your question and use of the word implying doesn't accurately reflect my OPINIONS in this context. :| :imho:

... since it is potentially slanderous of you, adding possibly doesn't reduce the harm, only my liability.

You use the term potentially ... and I use the word possibly, but we're now getting a bit sidetracked; there is nothing wrong with sharing OPINIONS on the topic / discussion(s) at hand (especially when there are over three years of historical posts/threads (and Whois data) on the matter available for anyone's perusal), IMHO. :gl:

Thanks for understanding,
Jeff B-)

Last edited:
•••
I take it then Jeff that you will not be providing one shred of evidence of "a LOT of false / manipulated "reported / published sales" of .MOBI's early on... ". Clearly then your opinion is not based in any facts, merely your disdain for .mobi.

•••
Paul,
I've disliked the ".MOBI" (and mTLD) since Day 1 and it has proven to be a failure, but you're again misquoting my post, and opinions; :gl:
Thanks for getting back on topic! :talk:

Regards,
Jeff B-)

•••
Paul,
I've disliked the ".MOBI" (and mTLD) since Day 1

And long time observers can attest that nothing would ever change this. So you post the same old drivel after 3 years, clinging to anything that supports your dislike and ignoring anything that indicates .mobi is moving forward.

•••
... and ignoring anything that indicates .mobi is moving forward.

With folks losing 90%+ - 100% of their money in the long & awkward ".MOBI" (and mTLD mismanaging and completely indebting itself while alienating its customer base); how is it moving forward? :red:

Regards,
Jeff B-)

•••
With folks losing 90%+ - 100% of their money in the long & awkward ".MOBI" (and mTLD mismanaging and completely indebting itself while alienating its customer base); how is it moving forward? :red:

Please show us where I claimed that the sluggish domain market was a positive for the .mobi extension. It's been great for my own portfolio though, I'm enjoying the bargains.

As for mTLD's financials, I'm not provided access to their books, are you?

•••
possibly doesn't obviate responsibility for accusations of fraud. If I post that you possibly were involved in fraudulent activity here, I have a professional responsibility to provide evidence of my point since it is potentially slanderous of you, adding possibly doesn't reduce the harm, only my liability.

I would not agree that it is unique to .mobi
But I don't think that .mobi is exempt from it either

•••
Please show us where I claimed that the sluggish domain market was a positive for the .mobi extension. It's been great for my own portfolio though, I'm enjoying the bargains.

.MOBI's (and mTLD's) epic & well documented failure was far more than a "sluggish domain market" ... you've picked up and are enjoying what you believe to be "bargains", but how are they bargains if they are likely (using .MOBI's history as a guide) worth less in the future? :|
IYHO.

Regards,
Jeff B-)

•••
... you've picked up and are enjoying what you believe to be "bargains", but how are they bargains if they are likely (using .MOBI's history as a guide) worth less in the future?

My money, my valuation. I don't go around telling others what to do.

You should be a billionaire with your ability to know the future. Folks, I present to you the amazing Kreskin.

Jeff, did I see you in an earlier post still protesting the Bank of America bofa.mobi redirect?

bofaprotest.jpg

Still beating the same old drum while Bank of America clearly instructs their mobile web users for years now to visit bofa.mobi. Bank of America mobile banking

It really must bug you when watching fox news on cable when they have the perpetual ad for foxnews.mobi.

•••
Link: https://www.bankofamerica.com/mobile/

Fact; "bofa.mobi" is still a very simple & ordinary redirect (adding ZERO to an unique & compelling "ecosystem") ... and neither bofa.mobi nor "foxnews.mobi" saved the TLD (or mTLD) from certain and predictable failure (ultimately having to sell out to Afilias), IMHO. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Jeff B-)

•••
While I might agree that .mobi failed, I doubt it will get worse at this point. .Mobi appears to be settling in to just another scarcely-used stld (throw it in with everything that's not .com, .net, or .org).

•••
Although shill bidding by the major platforms has all but been eliminated,...

What makes you think shill bidding by the major platforms has all but been eliminated?

•••

Regards,
Jeff B-)

My mobi's are perpetually moving onwards and upwards and I haven't lost any money whatsoever, but have instead made more money each and every month.

I took mtld as to be just a registrar with whom I can purchase excellent keyword dot mobi domains from.. nothing more. I certainly did not wait or hang on their coat tails before I developed sites, so I got everything I ever wanted :)

Last edited:
•••
I took mtld as to be just a registrar with whom I can purchase excellent keyword dot mobi domains from.. nothing more. I certainly did not wait or hang on their coat tails before I developed sites, so I got everything I ever wanted :)

The wildly successful and formerly named Whois.sc (now DomainTools.com) illustrates the importance of unique and compelling development(s) on "keyword" type domains with new, newer, less well know, obscure, foreign, unestablished, etc. extensions, IMHO.
In the difficult ".mobi" ... you are an exception to the rule! :gl:

Congrats,
Jeff B-)

•••
I still type in whois.sc too ;)

•••
^ Me three. :gl: :p

Night,
Jeff B-)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back