Dynadot

advice A real dilemma over an outbound contact for a .com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I'll try to keep this short.and apologize for not being able to mention the domains I just couldn't chance seeing it indexed in Google

In 2008 I sold a .com for a good price (mid X,XXX) to a start-up. (they contacted me) Company is now well financed into the tens of millions but, it's technology is really still in its infancy. They immediately protected their name with the Trademark .(in two applicable classes) Anyway I still hold the Plural,of the sold singular which in many ways I think is much more encompassing and the company has now expanded its proposed technology product range to many other potential uses

So I have dealt with the CEO before in 2008. Do you think I'm crossing a dangerous threshold by approaching this CEO again. Given the current Trademark. The domain has rarely been posted for sale, It gets about one unsolicited offer a year in the low x,xxx range but I'd like to sell it at the around the same amount as I sold the singular. The domain does have many other potential uses so I'm in no way limited to this company as a sales opportunity

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Did you purchase the plural after the first offer / after it was trademarked?

I'm not too well versed in this, but I think you are entitled to the domain if it was in your possession before the trademark (like Nissan.com?). Maybe their trademark doesn't encompass any rights to the plural word anyway... could depend on the specific wording, I think.

From a business ethics perspective, I don't think they would be offended to be approached by you again with the proposition if you ask for the same amount they paid before. They seem to be doing well with the previous purchase, having gotten financing. Whether you should ask for less or more probably depends how much runway they have in their bankroll, since you think they are still in their infancy.

•••
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Pazu. I purchased the domains at more or less the same time maybe a month or two apart, around 2002. Funny enough also took the .net in the plural as I always thought it the stronger term. but .not the net in the singular. Indeed all were registered long before the Trademark.

I've just got a strong suspicion that the Company I'm referring to , may be very receptive to the plural wording suggestion (yep just an added 'S' ) as they seem to be heavily 'Trade' advertising the versatility of their product for many additional uses just recently. Their share price is up and down like bloody yoyo

Most of the main extension are taken in all the variations today, (other individuals/companies) including the hyphenated. It was just one of those terms that was begging for registration for future products (well in my mind) in 2002.

Last edited:
•••
People say go to the decision maker. The CEO is probably the only one who will remember you anyway. Give him a hey buddy long time no see... glad things are working out so well for you!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back