IT.COM

1&1's Cancellation Process

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hey everyone,
I know most of us hate 1&1, but this is insane. Have any of you seen their cancellation process?

Of course every domain with them is permanently on auto-renew and can not be changed, so you have to cancel a domain to get rid of it.

First, you must call a representative or somehow figure out the cancellation URL because it's not in the normal control panel. Then, you must go through an internet cancellation maze.

After that, you have to click a link that sends you a confirmation email. Then, click the link in the email.

Now, here's the kicker. You have to click another link, print a page, and FAX them. Ha. I'm sorry, this is ridiculous.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's not an obsession as much as it is a mission.

What I really hate is people trying to minimize 1and1.com's crappy reputation like they have a stake in it. I'm sure there are 1and1.com affiliates on this site who try to prop them up in these threads just like their are goldkey, sedo, and other affiliates too.

BTW: I'm probably old enough to be your uncle and I still have an authority problem :)
HBK216 said:
I'm sure everything was their fault & you did no wrong. People get your point about 1&1. I guess it is your life long mission to go into every 1&1 thread with the same story. I guess bumping the thread isn't enough.

Whatever floats your boat kid.

•••
movingconcierge said:

What I really hate is people trying to minimize 1and1.com's crappy reputation like they have a stake in it. I'm sure there are 1and1.com affiliates on this site who try to prop them up in these threads just like their are goldkey, sedo, and other affiliates too.

BTW: I'm probably old enough to be your uncle and I still have an authority problem :)

I can guarantee that I am not an affiliate for 1&1 or any such company. I just don't think they are as bad as people make them out to be. Yes, they definitely have their shortcomings & are probably not for everyone. I just think they aren't that truly awful.

I just don't use them nowadays because I prefer the interface & speed of other places. I just haven't had the rush to transfer everything out. I'll probably do it as renewal time approaches.

•••
movingconcierge said:
Just be sure to leave 7-10 days to complete the transfer. As quoted by 1and1 suck support, that is the MINIMUM amount of time they require to remove thumbs from rectums, dilly-dally, insert obstacles, and then finally hit the fricken button.

lol...nicely put...jump ship now :yell:

•••
When you compare 1&1 to registrars such as GoDaddy, NameCheap, eNom, Moniker etc... etc... they are at the bottom of the barrel, heck even RegisterFly ranks higher and that certainly isnt a good sign.

•••
Tippy said:
When you compare 1&1 to registrars such as GoDaddy, NameCheap, eNom, Moniker etc... etc... they are at the bottom of the barrel, heck even RegisterFly ranks higher and that certainly isnt a good sign.

With the low prices they are offering, its hardly surprising they spend little on staff.

•••
...bottom of the barrel
well put.

===============================================

BTW: I'm probably old enough to be your uncle and I still have an authority problem

I applaud your mission. Anything to keep the noobs and everyone else from 1&1 is worthy. Like stated previously, those six page magazine ads don't help at all. Stay far away!

=====================================================

I'm not saying they'll change, but if anything will help; it's probably bad press.

•••
1-1 are the worst registrars in the world. their website is designed to snare domainers into auto renewal anywhere near the domain expiry date. having any experience with them is like getting a bad disease that is energy sapping and demoralising. bottom feeders beware!

•••
Hehheh, 15 or 16 page ad in Wired. Wow.

•••
Now I'm getting nervous. I registered a lot of domains with 1and1 and I actually didn't have any issue with them. Until i registered a premium domain. next thing i know they sent me an email that i couldn't registered the domain because of blah blah blah. when i traced the domain it was registered to someone else at the same day. it was kinda fishy.
now my question is...how difficult to transfer my domain from them to another registrar?

•••
xman: I atleast know it's not impossible because I transferred one to Moniker. I'd try if I were you.

•••
xman said:
now my question is...how difficult to transfer my domain from them to another registrar?

you can do this, but it is most important to note that even after you have transferred a name to another registrar 1+1 WILL CHARGE YOU at renewal even if the name is not with them anymore. Huh? yes they will unless you remember after transferring out to cancel the contract(s) you regged the names with AND get a confirmation back from 1+1 that this has been done. 1+1 are quite disgusting in that they rely on domainers getting snagged up within the last few weeks of a reg and failing to complete cancellation of contract before being hit with renewal fees. In this and any other 1+1 thread (and there are lots of them) there will be the occasional 1+1 robot making a contribution that 1+1 are no problem etc but believe us they are a bunch of sleazebags. registerfly may have been incompetent but 1+1 are outright crooks.

•••
I really have had no problems with 1&1 but I have been cancelling/transferring my names slowly out of there. I am moving to Moniker for a ton of reasons from easier sales to just flat out trusting them.

Transfer out when you are eligible to do so, cancel the contracts & you are good to go.

Transferring isn't really that hard as I've sold many names there & not one has said they had a problem. I just prefer not to deal with them anymore.

•••
some my domains with 1and1 are only six months old. when is the best time to transfer some of my domains? 2 months before it expire.... a month? i used to read a lot of thread about 1and1 being the worst registrar and i didn't believed them because i didn't have any problem with them from the beginning. i will tell you when 1and1 hit you it will hit you hard.

•••
1&1 is owned by the #6 Registrar "SCHLUND + PARTNER AG"
One of the partners sells domains at an auction that the starting price goes down every hour.
He sells them for as little at $1.00 but they're at 1&1 and only have a week or
so to expiration and he doesn't give you the transfer info for a few day so you
have to renew them at 1&1.
Support for 1&1 is in Asia so the best time to call them is in the middle of the
night in the US, ask for a supervisor and don't let him bullshit you.
Like telling you that you can't transfer them after 30 days before experation..

They also have complaints at ICANN for 1&1 over taking domains away
when the domain holder cancels hosting with them.
They say they owe money for the hosting and take the domain..

I think I've dealt with just about every Registra and reseller on the net just
from buying domains all over and I'd have to rate 1&1 a minus -9 on a scale of 1-10.

•••
we need a leader for domainer for mass migration from 1and1.... an exodus. This leader should tell 1and1 "Let My Domainer Go"

•••
We should all formulate letters showing our dissatisfaction with 1&1. Then, one of us should research every single 1&1 US, UK, DE, and FR email address and send them all.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back