Dynadot

I Cannot Believe What Just Happened

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

SKG

Established Member
Impact
I registered Alloy.in with Registerfly back in October and parked it at Sedo to put up for sale. I typed it in today and it went to Good Luck Domains!!!!! I checked Whois and it is was registered at the end of November by someone else. I called Registerfly and have already put in two tickets and there response is to call the other Registrar!!!!! Then they said they do not handle .in tlds. I said I have another one in my account and I have the receipt for the one in question. What should I do??? My domain has been hijacked and the registrar that I purchased it from over a month ago (Customer Service) has no clue what is going on!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Don't wait for your register to contact the other register, half the time they say they will but they don't. Call the other register yourself.

Also, did you try to get a superviser at your register? They are usally very helpful.

•••
Customer service put another ticket in and told me to speak to Management and Risk Department in the morning when they are staffed. Not sure what they can do and what my options are.

•••
mail the person who registred it and even send a mail to good luck domain. then if u have complete receipt of the alloy.in then sue registerfly

•••
I was thinking along those lines because I have a strong feeling they will say they will refund my money and that is all they can do. But that is pure BS!!! I owned the name and it was stripped from me.

•••
•••
Regfly is a NamePros user and he may be able to shed some light on this.. PM him. He's helped me in the past with Registerfly issues.

•••
tajimd said:
mail the person who registred it and even send a mail to good luck domain. then if u have complete receipt of the alloy.in then sue registerfly

Im sorry but coming to the assumption that you should sue the registrar is rediculous.

Its everyones answer to everything. Greed.

•••
Wow

Wow, hate to say it, but... sounds like you thought you had registered it at www.Registerfly.com . I mean, I'm sure you did, but did you verify it afterwards? Did you check the whois shortly afterwards? Did you get an email from www.Registerfly.com telling you the transaction had been successful?

To me it sounds like the transaction rejected for some reason, but you thought everything was ok, so you listed it at www.Sedo.com . Meanwhile, someone else finds this great name in November, and registers it legally. I sure hope I am wrong. Keep us posted. I'm sure Regfly here will help find out what happened.

Frank :'(

•••
Knarmusik, I am 100% sure I registered it October 10th this year. I checked the whois at that time. I then forwarded it to Sedoparking where they check again before putting it on sale to make sure it is your name. Somehow at the end of November someone else was able to register my name. Now Regfly says they do not support .in when if fact they do because I own another .in through them that is in my account there. I also provided them with my receipt. Now they are saying (customer support/Tech) that they can do nothing.

•••
The LAST paragraph below is not advice on this thread's issue, and is not an asnwer to your question (read, just if you care to), but rather a public notice/warning about RegisterFly.com. My advice for you, SKG, is to do what others have suggested above. Namely, contact member RegFly. Contacting the other registry (Good Luck Domains), will do not good at all. They just registered a name in November, because at that time it was available to them at the .in root registry. In the end, all they (RegisterFly) can do is refund your money, as far as I see it. Best of luck with the issue...Please, let us know how they respond. And, if you are looking to register any more .in names, always use a register accredited by the .in registry itself (list found on the registry site here). RegisterFly is a reseller for Enom.com for .in names.

Sad, but this is something not uncommon for RegisterFly. They are an ICANN accredited register in their own right (I wonder how this happened, considering what I'm about to say :guilty: ). They have yet to get a "self-root" (registery root data system for names registered with them, outside the domain extension's root registries). This is to say, they are resellers. I don't think (I could be wrong) that there is a single .-extension that they hold the registration for themslves...yet. They claim they are working toward this (albeit, this should have been inplace before ICANN even considered accrediting them). I have (sold to me, not my choice...currently have the domains in transfer proccess to my favorite register) a .tv (true registry? Tucows.com), a .net (true registry? Enom.com), among others. Doing a WhoIS, you'll notice (may vary by domain extention) that they are listed as the "registration provider", but not the "registrar of record". What does this all mean? More places the registration has to go through before it reaches the domain extention's root registry, and more places along the way that the ball can be dropped. I am fairly new compared to most members here to the domain "speculation" business, but I have been part of the domain-registry world since its beginnings, and I can honestly say that they have the most buggy system I have ever seen. I am NOT saying they are not trying to rectify this, but I AM saying I believe they jumped head-first into water alot deeper than they realized. I even have a handful of domains showing as registered to me in my RegisterFly account, that were never registered at the respective registry (are still available MONTHS later, or are infact - like you - registered somewhere else to somebody else..domains "in" my account are not infact my domains :'( ); and recently had a domain showing in there as active that had expired months prior. And the most confusing: Have truelly ACTIVE names registered through them (been there a long time) that don't even show in their own WhoIs - You'd think they were available...lol. I'll give RegisterFly credit for trying, and atleast ½-credit for customer service. But, if you are trying to register a name that you are afraid someone else may get first...ALWAYS use a register that is accredited by the domain's extention's registry itself. My best wishes for RegisterFly in fixing their systems ;)

Just ranting things :imho:

Last edited:
•••
did the name protisgate through the dns when u regged it,
"it make sense that RF will charge, and that they said they do not of the in extension, it didnt protigate throught the dns, therefe leaving availbale

•••
Jiblob said:
Im sorry but coming to the assumption that you should sue the registrar is rediculous.

Its everyones answer to everything. Greed.
Assuming everything said above in this situation is true, what is ridiculous is the negliglence of regfly. I could do some quick searching on Lexis and Westlaw, but I would think it would be an open and shut case. You probably would not get the domain back, but you would get damages.

For some NPs, I would be happy to do some legal research for you on the issue.

•••
fonzie_007 said:
For some NPs, I would be happy to do some legal research for you on the issue.

Pardon me for saying how you make your money (or NP's in this case :p ). Heck, SKG may even like the offer, and take you up on it. But, almost sounds a bit like "pay me and I'll help". Unless you were a lawyer, that wouldn't come over with many well. And any lawyer will tell you, legal research by a non-lawyer amounts to little more than "I found this here, lets hope nothing later on or in another case precedent doesn't make this statute I'm trying to prove mute in this case.". I leave the legal to my lawyers...And so should others. Saves alot of work for them fixing my "I thought that's what it meant." mistakes later on :hehe:

:imho:

<<<< Notice my avatar...Is me doing legal work :hehe:

Last edited:
•••
maximum said:
Pardon me for saying how you make your money (or NP's in this case :p ). Heck, SKG may even like the offer, and take you up on it. But, almost sounds a bit like "pay me and I'll help". Unless you were a lawyer, that wouldn't come over with many well. And any lawyer will tell you, legal research by a non-lawyer amounts to little more than "I found this here, lets hope nothing later on or in another case precedent doesn't make this statute I'm trying to prove mute in this case.". I leave the legal to my lawyers...And so should others. Saves alot of work for them fixing my "I thought that's what it meant." mistakes later on :hehe:

:imho:

<<<< Notice my avatar...Is me doing legal work :hehe:
Just FYI, there aren't too many people who are not lawyers or law students who have access to Lexis and Westlaw. BTW, these databases cost BIG dollars to subscribe to. Some monthly subscriptions costs are more than your mortgage payment. So, read between the lines...

Legal research takes time and effort. I was just making a friendly offer to do some research. He can make his own conclusions about what I might find...

Last edited:
•••
True..Sorry :td:

Law Student? Just asking, as I use LexisNexis myself (not a lwayer or law student). Just curious about you.

•••
maximum said:
True..Sorry :td:

Law Student? Just asking, as I use LexisNexis myself (not a lwayer or law student). Just curious about you.
PM sent.

•••
Wow regfly really has a bad rep with domainers.
I've seen strange things with them like names cancelled etc, IMO there are not reliable at all. Anyway, I'm wondering what their response will be.

Last edited:
•••
SKG said:
Knarmusik, I am 100% sure I registered it October 10th this year. I checked the whois at that time. I then forwarded it to Sedoparking where they check again before putting it on sale to make sure it is your name. Somehow at the end of November someone else was able to register my name. Now Regfly says they do not support .in when if fact they do because I own another .in through them that is in my account there. I also provided them with my receipt. Now they are saying (customer support/Tech) that they can do nothing.

I know www.Registerfly.com has supported ".in" domains in the past, because that is where I was going to register my first ".in".

Frank

•••
Thanks for the info. After these topics i will not subscribe to their backorder and domain services.

ps. Even if i'm not from USA, I also use sometimes (very rarely) LexisNexis :)

•••
Knarfmusik, what is weird is that I have another .in still there, so they do support it. I am still waiting for Registerfly's answer.

•••
Update:

Just got an email from Registerfly:

"Hello,

Registration process for your domain alloy.in did not go through. And this domain was available and some one registered this domain on 23-Nov-2005. We have refunded $21.99 in your Registerfly account for failes registration."

This is there answer. Now I bought it early October and put it on Sedo to sell. As far as I know Sedo will not put it for sale if the domain seller name does not match the owner of record. In any event I was parking (forwarding) the URL to sedoparking and I do not think that is possible if I did not own it. I even have unique hits registered at Sedo. This is insane!!!!!

Is there any way I can check past whois history on a domain?

•••
I had a registration fail with Registerfly (and never received confirmation for whatever reason) and did not know it. The guy here at NP checked it out but I did not pursue it further since the money was still in my account (though it was annoying because I'd rather it have been in Paypal). This is certainly a strange issue...especially with the Sedo aspect of it added in.

•••
REGISTERFLY IS FULL OF BUGS

happens all the time

•••
Scary stuff.

WOW!
That Reg is NOT Fly!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back