forum script

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

liam_d

The original NP Emo KidEstablished Member
Impact
I am just wondering if anyone here is interested in buying the rights to a custom forum script?

The smilies in it are original and made for the forum by a great friend of mine. The forum is original and is my own work and a lot of effort has been put into it. The current style/template is very clean and crisp so you won't have to do much template editing or messing around.

Please ask for a link and i will pm.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is there a demostration of the script anywhere?

•••
•••
I'd be interested in see a demo as well. :)

•••
•••
•••
•••
PM sent, thanks for all the current interest.

•••
:sold: :)

Payment sent. Thanks Liam. :)

•••
Deal has been worked out, thanks.

•••
This doesn't seem to be a very "Exclusive Deal" IMO .... We are looking into this

•••
Unfortunately it was not the deal promised.

Below is a timeline of what happened:

In THIS thread, Liam offered the rights to his script.

Via PM, liam_d told me:

Hi this is for absolute rights to the forum scripts

Which I personally take to me that I was bidding for full rights (as in he
was revoking his rights completely).

However, after payment he sent me an email saying:

Sorry i forgot to include the terms of the script.

Basically you get esclusive right to do as you wish with the script, you
may remove all my copyright and rebrand into your own unique forum
software.

I may develope it further at www.ztboard.com

Which basically goes BACK one what he sold me (and technically now
violates my copyright). Remember, that is after I had sent payment

After the sale I also noticed that he has sold this forum before on
NamePros as http://www.fedrabb.net/
(http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?t=100176)

And then today he sent me an email with:

Hi there i am now actually sell my whole little company
including the domains, a newer version of the forum and a few
programs, screen savers etc i invite you to bid at
http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?t=132782
--
Regards,
Liam Dawe

Which looks like it has been closed. (So he is planning to do it again.)

•••
Would be nice to hear a commend from Liam_D ;)

•••
He just sent me the following email:

I have ceased developement as promise.

•••
Well, you where mislead, ask for a refund or a chargeback!

unless you are happy with the script :)

•••
The part that worries me is that it appears that he sold it before. So I might not even have the copyright... I'm not sure. I've already put a nights work into it changing tables to CSS and fixing up some templates in it.

Anyway, we'll see how this goes. I suggested to Liam via email that he should say something here--give his side, so to speak. ;)

Oh, I should add that -RJ- and all4cost have been actively involved in getting this sorted out behind the scenes. So a big thank you to them. Awesome work. :)

•••
Bleys, I'm sorry he fooled you too. I'm the one who originally bought this and since last night when I first found out about this I let the admins know also. I also have a private message over there. I've actually been watching him for a couple of months ever since I bought the script from him. He's always kept a copy and he even joined my forum (the one I bought from him). I found his site a month or two ago and he was even using my database at one time. I never really said anything because I let people use the script for free, but when he posted about a forum script and he wouldn't even post it in public, I got suspicious. I also changed the name of FedraBB to VUBB. Look at the screenshot on this page http://vubb.com notice it's the same exact script? If you look at the forum you'll notice there have been a lot of changes from the original script he made.

Notice when I originally bought it, I asked if it was exclusive rights and he said it was? That's what gets me mad, how are you going to sell a project with exclusive rights and then all of a sudden try to still keep it like you never sold it. All he did was change the domain name. I've been on to him for a while, I have him in my refferer logs and he's a registered member of my forum. Have a look here http://www.vubb.com/forum/index.php?act=viewtopic&t=35&f=12 he's the one with the last post in that thread.

By the way I'd do a chargeback if I was you.

•••
Heh, the cheek ah, to sell a free script >:(

•••
Sorry i forgot to include the terms of the script.

Basically you get esclusive right to do as you wish with the script, you
may remove all my copyright and rebrand into your own unique forum
software.

I may develope it further at www.ztboard.com

The funniest part about this quote is you can do that with anything that is GPL. He's basically giving out a GPL license with the sale. You can pull off phpBBs copyright too and it's free.

What made me want to buy this was just as a fun project for everyone to be able to pitch in with developing it and seeing what the end result is after each new version.

•••
Well i am sorry to those who where unhappy and i have thought it over a lot and it wasn't the smartest move on my part and therefore i have deleted it now.

I have sorted things out with bleys and to quote his email for those who distrust me;

Liam,

Thank you very much. I apologize for any messiness that has resulted
here. If you do hear from PayPal or your host, please feel free to have
them contact me so we can work anything out that may have happened.

As for NamePros, I would suggest that you reply to the post with
something, and/or contact -RJ- (who owns NP) because at the moment
they are unsure of how to look at you. Some words from your end
might do well. That's just my advice.

As for the forum, I've already converted all the tables in the templates to
CSS and will be working on developing it further (I have a lot of plans
for control panel, administrative, and functional enhancements,
including the use of AJAX for replies and edits). When it is ready, I
certainly invite you to help out or create mods for it. But in the
meantime, I appreciate you not continuing development, at least not
publicly (feel free to develop it for your own personal use, just don't
share the code).

Thanks.

-Josh Catone

Happy developing, goodluck with the scripts. I am very sorry and if there is anything i can do give me a buzz.

•••
•••
I honestly don't know who owns the rights to this software at this point.

Liam sold me "absolute rights" to the script (according to his PMs), which I interpret as the full copyright to it. But then I found out after paying that he had already sold the rights (what sort of rights did he promise you, deu12000? Exclusive--ownership of the copyright--or just resale--right to sell/rebrand--or something else?) once before. At this point, I'm not ready to make a determination on who owns the rights, because...

1. I don't know what rights he sold to deu12000
2. I don't know if he has done this before (as in, has anyone else purchased rights to this same software from Liam either before or after deu12000)

I am rather unhappy that I may have spent money for nothing here... but I am unsure if I should be initiating a chargeback with PayPal or not (I'd RATHER own the software, but I don't want to own nothing and still lose my money).

As I said, I'd need more information before making any determination here.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I'm pretty much resigned not to like anything about this situation. It has become painfully obvious that Liam is a scammer.

I am initiating a PayPal chargeback now. If I were you, I would make sure he hasn't sold it other times. It is obvious that he doesn't follow through on his claims. You should also log a complaint with his host (HostNetWay.com) as I have, and with PayPal.

Thanks for understanding, deu12000.

Well, PayPal doesn't support chargebacks on intangible goods. So I'm most likely out the money (I'll try the bank tomorrow to see if there is anything they can do).

But for the record, I recieved this notice from PayPal:

PayPal does not tolerate fraud or illegal activities. Your complaint has
been noted in the record of the PayPal user you reported. If we find this
user has violated our policies, we will investigate and take appropriate
action.

I'm guessing selling things that don't belong to you violates their policies. ;)

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back