Domain Empire

Big money from traffic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
May I ask somebody who knows, how do you make money from traffic; not small traffic eg 1000 hits, but really big traffic like 3 million hits a month (not that I get that kind of traffic!) What would you guys do with that kind of traffic?

PS: I think a domain should be valued on the amount of traffic it receices, e.g $0.50 per daily/monthly hit, as opposed to lenght of letters, and "genericity".

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
umm....i think put a popup on it

•••
Originally posted by schoolsux
umm....i think put a popup on it

I disagree. Popups drive away visitors and if it doesnt they just suck. Try selling advertising space and or use adsense :)

•••
Originally posted by Redman
May I ask somebody who knows, how do you make money from traffic; not small traffic eg 1000 hits, but really big traffic like 3 million hits a month (not that I get that kind of traffic!) What would you guys do with that kind of traffic?

PS: I think a domain should be valued on the amount of traffic it receices, e.g $0.50 per daily/monthly hit, as opposed to lenght of letters, and "genericity".

i would also like to know:hehe:
start postin,
every bit of info
would be helpful to all.
3 millions hits. whoa!
i could retire by 40 :lol:

•••
Originally posted by redhippo
i would also like to know:hehe:
start postin,
every bit of info
would be helpful to all.
3 millions hits. whoa!
i could retire by 40 :lol:

Like I said sell advertising space. That is the only sure way of making money with just hits. If you have that much hits I suggest you sell "something" anything at all I am sure you will get some buyers.

•••
Originally posted by Elefekt
Like I said sell advertising space. That is the only sure way of making money with just hits. If you have that much hits I suggest you sell "something" anything at all I am sure you will get some buyers.

can you suggest
some particular vendor.
as they are many
sharks out there
would really
appreciate it if you
could point
to some legit guys,
those who would
really pay up!:tu:

•••
actually anyone...
You just make them pay before you throw it up. Simple as that if you dont got trust (BTW you best get some).
Depends on your site and if someone thinks he will get anything out of it. With 3million hits (if unique) go for big boys like sony, dr. pepper :), or other biggies.

•••
Get a somewhat sophisticated ad server software, or outsource it. Then try to use some of the big and well-known networks to get as much of your inventory as possible sold.

Try and see if it's profitable to replace some of it with pay per lead or sale ads from the CPA networks or CPC ads from google, overture etc.

To make a very long story short, that's it.

•••
Originally posted by cerebus
Get a somewhat sophisticated ad server software, or outsource it.

for example? using some?:bingo:

•••
it entirely depends on what kind of traffic you receive:
if you receive 3 million qualified hits a month, why waste them and only earn a couple of bucks by using pay per view or pay per click! if the traffic is really qualified earn through leads (your visitors buy something and you receive about 5 - 10 % of the products price).
best regards
nico

•••
I would definitely offer advertising spaces!

•••
Originally posted by jj2ii3344
I would definitely offer advertising spaces!

how much would you charge? fair price for ads?:|

•••
Hello

It depends on what type of traffic you are talking about.
Is it adult traffic, is it kiddie traffic, business traffic, you don't mention what type of traffic it is. Is is US traffic, Asian traffic, Uk traffic. Depending on the traffic, the site/name would be a better evaluation of what the traffic is worth. Some are worth more then others. If its a kiddie site for user's 5-10yrs old, then the traffic is not worth much, because they dont spend on line, only good for some advertising of other sites/products. If its adult traffic, it could be worth more then you expect, and what type of adult traffic. If its business traffic for the business set/users then it could be worth also.

This traffic can be sold to a traffic company, traffic wholesaler which will pay either by the month, or by the CPM basis. Traffic is big business, and if you find the right company to buy the traffic, you can have a steady flow of income on a monthly basis. More information would have to be provided to determaine the value of the traffic, and where it is coming from.

silverfox

•••
MONEY MAKING ADS

thanks for your explaination.
from your experience
what is your"right company" for adult traffic as in paying/working
not those "adult"

for ads...some suggestions pleaseB-)

•••
Advertising space mmmm... who would buy it? If you are getting really good traffic, your spaces are usually worth more than what people will pay. eg. for 3 million genuine traffic, you should be able to charge from $5000 upwards, otherwise its not worth it. However, the big companies which have the money to pay, usually stick with their established suppliers and will not likely change for your "upstart" company. This is my main problem with acvertising space and stuff like that.

•••
Well it doesnt matter how much you think its worth it matters how much they think its worth. Still if you can get someone at all its a start. you can only build.

•••
I guess I m naturally pessimistic about this industry :(

•••
it entirely depends on what kind of traffic you receive:
Bingo, demographics demographics and demographics. IMHO the amount of traffic doesn't make any difference in terms of the marketing strategy you should be using. Namely, you always target your ads based upon your customers. Who are they? Why did they come to your site, what were they looking for? Did they use a search engine and what did they type in to get there? Which pages on your site are the most popular? Are customers coming back or just visiting one time and taking off never to return? How long is the average visitor staying on your site?

From there you can get a general idea of where to start with advertising. Try different things out and always, always make sure you are watching & learning about what's working(phpadsnew lets you rotate banners, set impression limits, track clicks, etc). Target your specific advertisements based upon individual pages and their content (adsense does this for you). See what happens, check what's working and what isn't.

At anyrate, I think generally this is the type of thing that *everyone* should be doing regardless of traffic levels. Obviously if you've got next to no traffic then there's going to be next to no income and next to no incentive to work hard at it. If you've got 3 million some odd visitors per month then it's certainly worth your while to do some deeper research on this. Like someone else mentioned it might be well worth looking into outsourcing or hiring a marketer in the interim to help maximize your online profits.

•••
thanks chris for your post. very enlightening.
the probem for me is of course is starting.

how? what sort of web page/biz for a noobie?

some says get a niche... but can think of any at the moment.

would like to see someone's actual journey

from basics to now.. mabye site earning some fair dollars.

if someone could share a real experience in detail that would be very helpful

IMHO anyway. thanks for futeure posters:bingo:

•••
if someone could share a real experience in detail that would be very helpful

I've thought about this post and have to admit I find this problematic. Namely, web development is something that is ongoing and this is quite a competitive market. As soon as a successful site in a particular niche pops up, there are a number of copycat sites coming out. Such is the nature of business and also the nature of website development.

For this reason, personally I don't really want to go into the specific details of what steps I've gone through to make a given site successful. At the same time I will tell you that I beleive you are on the right track when asking for "newbie" strategies (I still consider myself a newbie as well btw) to developing a successful site. I doubt someone is going to be willing to hand these strategies to you but what *I* did was;
1) Develop a base on SEO and related web design (I read the two books search engine positioning by Marckini and search engine visibility by thurow)
2) Find some sites that were successful and reverse engineer them. Learn by applying not just rote rehearsal.
3) Read read and read & interact! - webmasterworld, namepros, searchengineworld, DNF, dnjournal, +++
4) If you're lucky, find a mentor who can help you along the way and make sure you're helping them too. My "mentor"/friend is 6 years younger than me and studying in university. His help and forum community help has been absolutely invaluable though.

As an aside I really have to say that there is no quick solution that *I* have found. To make this work it takes a great deal of work. After 8 months my sites are only making ~$200.00 month but each month it's more than the last and each project is one step bigger than the last one. For me, I was very excited to receive my first affiliate cheque for $37 some odd dollars and watching the growth keeps me excited about going deeper.

At anyrate, ¥[ªo!

•••
thanks Chris,
for your crisp and detail explaination
my reason again is that "monkey see monkey do" so to say or find a mentor to guide step by step

a "true story" would be like those MLM (oh no!!) type of mag
; of actually how they did it. e.g

1. purchase name "gamemania" at enom
2. web design by PHPpros cost=$350
2b. hosted it with tophost (spent $100.00)
3. sign up PPC with clickamoney
4. more ads with XYX, etc
5. site earnings= $25 first month
6. up for six months now. total profits=$423
7. check out my site:; cool

this would be helpful. but i think
not all are willing to share their secret: competitions?

some will hopefully share their secrets.
when I see the Actual, it would be easier
to learn

but thanks anyway.

:bingo:

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back