Domain Empire

Domain Registry of America. Legit?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I got a snailmail today from these people advising that 1 of the 2 domains I registered through 1&1.com via their free offer is expiring in November - which is the correct date. However, I didn't register through these people and they are quoting me $25 to keep the domain. I paid $5 at 1&1.com.

Something doesn't smell right here. In VERY small print, the letter says "transfer and renew your domainname at www.droa.com...." etc.

Am I right in thinking this is a rip-off and I best be keeping away from this place?

In the same vein .... when my domain does come up - do current holders of the reg normally advise you to do so? I don't want to lose my domain name needlessly.

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i dunno but it sounds like a rip off to me since it says "Register your domain name now for only $40.00!
for a two year term, or $25.00 for a one year term.
Versus the industry standard price of $70.00 for a two year registration."

on their home page

•••
It's a misleading request to transfer your name. Stay away from these guys. $25/yr is too much to be paying anyway!

Your actual registrar will contact you when renewal date approaches -- usually 60 and/or 30 day notices. You can transfer the name to any registrar of your choice before the renewal time -- I just don't recommend DROA.

•••
Its a scam. I thought that they had already been heavily fined for such fraudulent business tactics. Looks like they want another fine, perhaps even some jail time.

•••
I would have to agree with armstrong and -RJ- on this one, sounds more of a scam in trying you to transfer to their service. Im pretty sure you could find some decent prices somewhere else if you look around.

•••
•••
They are a well-known scam. One of my customers just got burned by them this week. Got their letter thinking it was from his registrar (the general public is clueless about things like this) and paid them $40 only to have them demand he sign and FAX them transfer papers as well. When I explained to him they were a notorious ripoff operation that had nothing to do with his real registrar he could not believe law enforcement people let them operate that way. I can't believe it either.

After talking to me he refused to transfer the domain to them and now they won't give his money back even though they delivered no registation service. I suppose the law will catch up with them sooner or later and hopefully the principals involved will enjoy living in a jail cell.

•••
Thanks to all. Goes to show you first impressions are usually correct! Reading the letter, it DID appear legit at first.

Armstrong - how would one report these guys to the appropriate authorities - which would be whom?

RJ - thanks for the tip on renwals. Wasn't aware how that worked as a first time domain owner.

•••
These guys are scammers. Avoid at all cost

•••
•••
Even though they're a reseller for Enom, they're still
a business entity.

You can notify the FTC about this as well (www.ftc.gov).

Although the FTC and other law enforcement agencies
won't go after them immediately, if they get sufficient
numbers from people about this, they'll be prodded
to take action.

•••
These pond scum will never die. But I sure wish they would. Not because of the competition but for the confusion they inflict on the clueless clients.

•••
Two words: HELL NO.

They send you a bill-like solicitation asking you to "renew" your domain but in reality it's an offer to transfer your domain to them for a ludicrous fee. Steer cleer of Domain Registry of [Country Name] (United States, Canada, etc).

•••
Just as a follow-up, I followed Armstrongs advice and wrote to1and1.com and told them what was going on. They wrote back almost immediately to thank me for advising them of the situation and that they were going to go after DROA after receiving a number of complaints similar to mine. I was advised that they would - as another suggested - inform me well ahead of my domains expiration and would renew for the original $5 fee if I wanted them to renew it automatically. Naturally I agreed to that and removed that worry.

I tried to send a complaint to register.com but could find no links other than for their customers.

Thanks to all for helping out a newbie on this. Much appreciated.

•••
Originally posted by Saurus
Just as a follow-up, I followed Armstrongs advice and wrote to1and1.com and told them what was going on. They wrote back almost immediately to thank me for advising them of the situation and that they were going to go after DROA after receiving a number of complaints similar to mine. I was advised that they would - as another suggested - inform me well ahead of my domains expiration and would renew for the original $5 fee if I wanted them to renew it automatically. Naturally I agreed to that and removed that worry.

I tried to send a complaint to register.com but could find no links other than for their customers.

Thanks to all for helping out a newbie on this. Much appreciated.

I'm sure all the other registrars are aware of this,
especially Enom! :alien:

•••
•••
I do not like their business ethics at all. I get letters from these guys all the time for domains that have never been registered with them (I would never use these idiots ever anyways) and that I sold long, long ago. I know that they visit this forum also, you $^@!&^%&^^%!@!!!

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back