Domain Empire

[Word1][Word2].net OR [Word1]-[Word2].com ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Which is usually better in your opinion?
And why?

(example: cheaphotels.net or cheap-hotels.com?)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would prefer the .net

•••
Same here. I would prefer the .net :imho:

•••
IMO the .net is better.

•••
It's a really tough choice for me. I'd probably go with the .com with a dash.

•••
I say a no-dash .net is better than a .com with a dash, so it's cheaphotels.net for me.

•••
•••
•••
Always, ALWAYS register without the dash. If you have the money and the keywords are fairly strong you can buy the dashed version as well to help corner the market.

If you're buying from someone who's already registered a domain with a dash, it should have traffic or it shouldn't get a premium price. If a dashed domain has good traffic, base your offer on traffic and nothing else unless the keywords are VERY strong (such as cell-phone.com).

The main reason I believe dashed domains are less used/less popular is the fact that finding and typing a dash interrupts the flow of input when locating a website. It always takes an extra effort to locate the dash and press the key because it is typically not used. When the typical internet user is "hunting and pecking" already, it makes it even more frustrating to stop (even for less than a second) to find/type the dash.

Just IMHO. Hope this helps.

Bri

•••
in practice you will probably find that cheaphotels.com and cheaphotels.net are taken,so the question is whether you should register cheap-hotels.com. answer: yes.
The question is whether the hyphen is a distraction. For cheap hotels I would take both! It is a toss-up. For eg floatingworld, I prefer without the hyphen.

•••
•••
Use the .net and redirect the .com with the dash to the .net.

•••
Thank you very much!

Another question:
which one does usually generate a greater amount of type-in traffic?

•••
I'd prolly go with the .com, since .com still is the #1 TLD extension..

•••
fatjack said:
And why?

(example: cheaphotels.net or cheap-hotels.com?)
I say register them both (although I would imagine that both of those domain names would already be gone at this point)

Domain names are cheap enough that you can register a few that fit the topic/brand you are working with.

As for type ins I pick the .net. But type ins are good, but now, as you may have heard by many many people, SEO (or search engine optimization) is in big-time and people are making thousands of $$$'s by manipulating their content so search engine spiders give a rating based on keywords that over-ranks other sites among the same category.

If you develop a site like this, make sure you have solid content that relates to what your goal is, or product taht you are trying to sell to the public

Best of luck

-Steve

•••
fatjack said:
[Word1][Word2].net OR [Word1]-[Word2].com
And why? (example: cheaphotels.net or cheap-hotels.com?)

Thank you fatjack for an excellent well phrased question! I am surprised the thread doesn’t have more responses and more flames. It is a question I have faced many times when I don’t really wish to register both the dashed and non-dashed.

•••
Like most people, I like the .net. I dont like the fact that when telling someone your website by word of mouth, you have to say 'cheap dash hotels dot net', i dont like to have to put the 'dash' in there, thats just my opinion

•••
William9 said:
Thank you fatjack for an excellent well phrased question! I am surprised the thread doesn’t have more responses and more flames. It is a question I have faced many times when I don’t really wish to register both the dashed and non-dashed.
its a method. if you cant decide, why not register both?

-Steve

•••
William9 said:

Thank you William9!

This is an hard choice: on one side there is the dash, and on the other there is an extension that seems to be declining conceeing all those incoming new ones.

Does someone knows of any considerable past purchase that involved both a
.net then a dash.com? Maybe we can look at old sales as a point of referement.

Thank you for sharing your opinions with me, guys!

Oh, and which one does usually generate a greater amount of type-in traffic in your opinions?

•••
[Word1][Word2].net OR [Word1]-[Word2].com

id def go with [Word1][Word2].net

dash are not good for typins

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back