IT.COM

Very confusing domain naming issue

NameSilo
Watch

MD

Established Member
Impact
I have a great name for a web site I'm planning to start. However, the name is in Arabic (it's an Arabic web site), so I have to write the name in English letters.

The problem is that this will result in a problem: everyone will write the name in his own accent (and we have many accents), which means, unless they already know the domain already, there's a good chance they won't find it through type-ins.

If you were me, what would you do? would you try to register all the different versions of the name and direct them to one domain? or just use one and hope that people will eventually find you?

The site is foreseen to be highly successful. So I don't really want domain squatters to benefit of this issue.

Your help is much appreciated. :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would research searches (Google keyword tool, WT, KD) to find out which of them are most common and register these versions.

•••
If you plan on going big with the site, then YES, get all versions of the name.

Same with an english site you plan to invest a lot in. Get the Singular, plural, and common mis-spellings or mis-types..

Even if 100 people a month tye it wrong you'll get the money back on your investment and it'll be more people to tell others about the site.

The moral is, if you plan to go BIG, then go BIG, it's not wise to go BIG and CHEAP! ;)

•••
well if you predict huge popularity for this site why not just buy all possible versions and then simply drop those who don't get any visitors a year later?

•••
John, I tried it but it didn't give me accurate results, because I keep getting random stuff that has nothing to do with the word (since it's Arabic)

Thanks for the suggestion Ben42. :)

Good idea ssamriga, but wouldn't you worry about squatters afterwards?

•••
Well, if you expect really huge popularity, I would concur with other opinions here - just register all of them. Then you have time to analyze stats and decide to drop some or not.

•••
Why not just get the Arabic script version?

Personally, I'd get the name in Arabic and the most common Romanisation(s) too.
I'd only ever advertise/display the address in Arabic script and just one Roman version (and that's only for the benefit of those poor souls still using Internet Explorer 6). All the other Roman-script versions will redirect to the main one.

•••
register all versions and redirect all to one domain. :D

•••
I have a great name for a web site I'm planning to start. However, the name is in Arabic (it's an Arabic web site), so I have to write the name in English letters.
This is precisely what Arabic domain names are for. Go for the Arabic script domain like S~ said. The Arabic script would be far more recognizable to your visitors than some odd Romanized version.

I also agree that you should cover your bases and get the most popular romanized versions.

•••
•••
you could get a numerical domain and point it to the site. since the accents are known to vary, you could encourage folks to "pass on" the numerical domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back