IT.COM

Appraisal Scam Alive And Well!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi All,

Received an email from this guy about one of my domain names I have parked and for sale. I told him that while I would sell it, I was thinking of developing it and wasn't really all that interested in selling it. Anyway, here are the emails I got back from him and that's when I realized this was a scam.

Email Content>

Is it a developed site or just a domain name? We are mostly interested in domains without web content.

I need an appraisal for domains priced in your range.

Our partners (webmasters and domain owners) always recommend us to verify an independent appraisal first. It would be fair for both of us.

Do you have an appraisal certificate for your name? Please note that I don't trust free or unprofessional appraisals. It can be an appraisal certificate from www.FastDomainSales.com or www.GreatDomains.com or www.HollywoodDomains.com. It does not matter because they were recommended to me by experienced experts.

After I receive your appraisal we'll continue negotiations.

How do you prefer to get paid: PayPal, check or wire?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Marc Miller

CEO

MCSD, MSCE

I responded with>

Hi Marc,

No it's not appraised and no, I'm not going to go there. As a business person (and I assume you are one from the emails you've been sending), you know that a product is worth whatever you can get for it above your cost. I own the domain name (no it is not yet a website), and that's the price it takes to buy it no matter if it's worth $5 or $5,000. I don't need an appraisal and neither do you. Appraisals fluctuate so widely as to be ridiculous anyway. If you are still interested in the name, fine, if not, I really didn't care if I sold it or not. I'm not trying to be rude, just honest.
Best Regards,
Sheila

His Resonse>

I understand you, but usually sellers provide buyers with appraisals. It's a common practice. Independent appraisers are involved in any serious purchase. It's a good practice to do business because nobody is going to lose money.>>>

After this, I told him he was more than welcome to get his own appraisal from any company he chose but I wouldn't be doing it.

Don't know the result of that yet.

A lot of you know about this scam, others of you don't. Don't fall for it. The scam is to get you to spend your money for the appraisal at the site they choose and then they decide they don't want to buy your domain name after all. (They've already got your money on appraisal and didn't want to buy it to start with.)

The real question I have here, is how could they lose money? If the potential buyer is not comfortable enough with the domain that he could do something with it, why would he want the thing in the first place? 2 of these sites have already made the rounds as a scam for this very same thing about a year ago.

Be careful, don't fall for this.

Thanks,
shendia

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A very well known scam.

Ignore all emails referring you to an apprasial website. :)

•••
Gah, scammers suck, and its a pretty ingenious scheme.

•••
•••
lol... yeah, i had that for so many times... pretending to be domain investors lol.... Dr. Griffin was the name and he used a free email (drgriffin@ rock.com) .... lol stupid idiots

•••
•••
•••
He hasn't answered back, so I guess I've seen the last of him for awhile anyway. ~ :^ )

•••
That domain scam keeps circulating? Yikes. At least he got the idea to change the email address, lol.

•••
Just got one from: "Domain Buyers" <info @ allfordomains.com>

"Vlad Scherman"

Narly! D-:

•••
Also got a similar email from this Marc Miller fellow. My reply to him was that I treat my domain names as real estate and as such it is the potential buyer that should get an appraisal if he requires one. He responded in much the same fashion as he did to you. I was taken once by this scam once but it won't happen again !

•••
I am really glad that I ran into this post! I haven't gotten an email like this yet, but it's good to know for future reference. Thanks for the alert!

Jennifer

•••
Thanks for the heads up.

•••
Allfordomains.com has a mass email ad service.....

Worryingly, most of us our probably on this domainers database they have created.... >:(

Last edited:
•••
Please note that I don't trust free or unprofessional appraisals. It can be an appraisal certificate from www.FastDomainSales.com or www.GreatDomains.com or www.HollywoodDomains.com. It does not matter because they were recommended to me by experienced experts.

Simple solution to this.. If he doesent like the certificates you have or is not willing to confirm for him self a domains worth then tough..

It may be good practice to have an appraisal certificate but just like all markets the buyer should take interest in finding out its worth themself..

Strange in all the time i been online i never have been scammed but i see so many smart business people being scammed all the time...

•••
Dear Shendia,

I'm new to this marketplace, but not new to business.

Common sense goes a long way. I have something to sell
and your intersted. Make me an offer. I can accept or reject it.
If your were selling a car, would you pay to have it taken to
all of your prospective buyers favorite mechanics and have it appraised? I don't think so. If your buying a product at Walmart
you've probably seen it before, somewhere else for more and
decided your getting the same thing at a reduced price. With domains you can't shop at Walmart. You must deal with a single source seller. Take it or leave it. Anyway, I think you get the message.

This is a great topic for enlightenment to those new to the buy/sell process and scam awareness. Thank you.

Bill Maass

•••
Yeah, I just got my first one of these I think, I am going to put online one of the turnkey appraisal businesses, and beat it to the punch and say 'I do not know what to ask, please get it apraised and I might sell', just to cut them off at the pass.

•••
I have debated with these idiots over email. James Brown, Andrew Miller, etc. and they all have fancy titles. Appraisal scams are rampant.

•••
Scam! Scam! Scam!

If anyone insists on a particular business and you know that company is not the market leader then you can be safely sure that there is a personal vested interest.

•••
I suspect that anyone who actually responds to them gets placed on an active spam list.

•••
Yep, I get couple of them every day :( and even Phone Calls which is really really annoying *angry*

•••
Received this one on May 19 :

--------------------------------------------------------

Hi there,

I found your contact in the WHOIS DATA SEARCH.

I run a software development company. Selling & buying names is not my main business. Just another way to invest free money and make some
income.

I'm interested in purchasing your name (FindBestPrices.com).

Is it a developed site or just a domain name? We are mostly interested
in domains without web content.

I need an appraisal before making an offer.

My partners (webmasters and domain owners) always recommend me to verify an independent appraisal first. It would be fair for both of us.

Do you have an appraisal certificate for your name? Please note that I don't trust free or unprofessional appraisals. It can be an appraisal
certificate from www.HollywoodDomains.com or www.Danilou.com. It does not matter because they were recommended
to me by experienced experts.

After I receive your appraisal I'll make my offer.

How do you prefer to get paid: PayPal, check or wire?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Prato Gabladori

CEO

MCSD, MSCE
-------------------------------------------------

Email : [email protected]
IP address: 66.82.58.159
Host name: dpc6682058159.direcpc.com

------------------------------------

I did not reply. I don'y know if this is always the same person using many names/email...

•••
Same person(s), new e-mail....

Yahoo.it this time..
Looks like they are jumping from one free e-mail provder to the other now.. :D

•••
I have read many posts on many forums about this scam...

1- www.HollywoodDomains.com always seems be on the apparaisal choice lists.

2- The messages send are often the sames but from different e-mail/names.

3- They never want to paid for the appraisals, so they want YOU to paid for it...

3- Always sign CEO MCSD, MSCE

IMHO : 2 possibilities : This is always the same person or many working together.

The main question : Why they do it?

To make money of course! They don't want to buy, they don't even want to pay for the appraisal...

2 options here : 1- They want people stop buying appraisals from these companies by sending scam because they are working for competitors. 2- They must get money from these companies for these apparaisals...

My choice : 2. Here why : First, by sending mails like this, some people will buy appraisals from the companies on the list. Second, I did never read any warning about this scam on theses companies websites.

The really big question is : Why do they offer 2-3 companies to choose from and not always the sames, even if HollywoodDomains seems always to be on the list?

If I give you 4 choices :

FastDomainSales $55
GreatDomains Don't seem to offer appraisal!
HollywoodDomains $75
Danilou $39

You believe this guy and want to order an appraisal from one of them, because he wants so.. Forget about GreatDomains : They don't offer apparaisals. When you look at the prices (Remember, this guy want an appraisal from any of these companies, doesn't care about how professionnal they are etc.) So you don't choose HollywoodDomains, too expensive. You then go for the less expensive.. On this thread, we got 2 post. On the Shendia one, he expect that FastDomainSales will be choose. On mine, he expect that I choose Danilou.

This is just what I think right now. I don't want to accuse anyone without proofs.

These scams must stop NOW. Someday, we will receive mails from serious buyers and we'll think this is a f****** scam again!

Steve

P.S Sorry if my english is bad, i'm french...

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back