IT.COM

GoDaddy / WWD 60 Day Hold After Push?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I paid for a transfer of a .info to my GoDaddy account from a WildWestDomains reseller named DomainsPricedRight.com. The domain was pushed into my acct at DomainsPricedRight this morning from another member, and a few minutes later I paid to have the name transferred to GoDaddy. I entered the GoDaddy Transaction ID and Security Code, plus the Auth ID and it all appeared successful. A few hours later, I received an email from DomainsPricedRight saying that my transfer was denied because "Express written objection to the transfer from the Transfer Contact." I called the WWD customer support # on the email to find out what the problem was, since I am the transfer contact and I never objected to the transfer. It was then explained to me that because the domain was just pushed into my acct at DomainsPricedRight, I had to wait 60 days before transferring to another registrar. The domain didn't move from the registrar prior to this -- it was simply pushed into another account and that caused it to basically be held for 60 days. Where is this stated in writing? I can't find anything like that in their documentation.

I wish the email I'd gotten would've explained this, rather than saying I (as the contact) objected. Plus, I had to sit on hold for 14 minutes waiting for a customer support rep, when an email with proper information would've been great.

Regardless, I then asked the customer support rep if in 60 days time, the domain would automatically be transferred to my GoDaddy acct, since I'd paid for it, and he told me that if the transfer doesn't happen within 30 days, I'd have to repay for the transfer. I then requested a refund and he took care of that for me while I was on the phone. A few hours later, I received an email saying my refund request was denied. I'll send GoDaddy an email about it, as I don't feel like sitting on hold for another 14 minutes right now.

So I was wondering, has anyone else had a problem like this? To hold a name 60 days after transferring to/from Godaddy after a push seems a little ridiculous. Is this an ICANN rule I'm not familiar with? Haven't had this happen before.

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Same deal for me. I was consolidating and wanted to get rid of several WWD accounts that only had a domain or two in it, and planned to transfer into my main GD account. Paid the multiple transfer fees, and same issue came up. You're lucky you only wasted 14 mins on the phone. I had over an hour with them. Lesson learned - If you're goning to transfer, don't use the push just transfer right away.

•••
As far as I know:
The "push" does not generate this 60 day hold.
The 60 day hold is generated by a push + WHOIS record change (ICANN rule) and applies to ALL registrars.

A workarround (with some registrars) is a push without changing whois, and then transfer.
After the transfer change WHOIS.

But easyest way is the transfer right away.

•••
nRnF said:
The 60 day hold is generated by a push + WHOIS record change (ICANN rule) and applies to ALL registrars.

A workarround (with some registrars) is a push without changing whois, and then transfer.

Thanks for that helpful info, nRnF!

•••
nRnF said:
As far as I know:
The "push" does not generate this 60 day hold.

But easyest way is the transfer right away.

interesting. i've never encountered this before, and was sure i've transferred immediately after a push/record change. thanks for the heads up

•••
Thank you for the info . will keep it in mind.

•••
TheLegendaryJP said:
I was curious too. Good info.

btw daze, did you pick up any LLL infos lately ;)

yes, i've picked up a few.

•••
i think it was uso ... and i've just been outbid (though i'm still undecided about how deep i'll go on that one, but i do feel strongly about the letters).

•••
The 60 day hold is actually used by all registrars after a "push" or whois info change... In other words, once the whois info is changed the name can not be "transferred" for 60 days....at any registrar. A "push" can be done anytime.
This also protects the seller as it stops someone from buying a name from you, then doing a chargeback after they have transferred the name away to another registrar.
One way to transfer the name out is to ask the seller to just change the email contact...then when you initiate the transfer the email will come to you for approval...

•••
There seems to be some conflicting information in this thread.

The ICANN policy is a name must remain at a registrar for 60 days before being allowed to transfer to another registrar. Simply, if a name is newly registered or newly transferred into a registrar it must stay there for at least 60 days. It does not have anything to to do with ownership transfers, whois info updates, or "pushes" between accounts.

All registrars must abide by that policy.

GoDaddy has their own restriction in addition to this ICANN policy. They will not allow the transfer out of any domain that has had an ownership change within the last 60 days. If a domain is transferred to another user, or the WHOIS data changes for the owner they will deny any transfer out for the next 60 days.

GoDaddy is the only registrar I know of that has that policy. Most registrars it is not a problem if there is an ownership change, the new owner can normally transfer the domain to another registrar right away (provided the name is 60 days old already).

RJ

•••
thank you RJ. THAT is what i figured was the case, because i'd never encountered that before...

in any case, the domain expires in december, so i had to renew at the WWD reseller where my domain is being held hostage.

•••
this is what happened to me, i sold one of my domains but i could not transfer it because of this 60 day thing :(

•••
and they send that email that says it is because they have received "Express written objection to the transfer from the Transfer Contact" because you agree to their written terms when you use their services and therefore you object by default.

Another fun message is sent by GoDaddy when you let a name expire. In 12 days it is pulled from your account to be auctioned. They don't send an email telling you it is no longer in your account or that for $80 or the high bid you can get it back. If it does not sell at auction, it then goes to pending delete and at that time you finally get an email that reads "Per your request, the items listed below have been cancelled from your account"

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back