Domain Empire

Do you own MyName domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I mean like Smith.com.
I just registered MyLastName.com. I also own MyLastName.pl. Probably they were never registered before, as there is like 20 people with that name living currently.
I don't really need them right now, but with the pressure on .com, I thought I'd better do this now, rather than being sorry later.

Do people in English-speaking countries still have a chance of buying their MyLastName.com at registration price?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I grabbed mine at reg fee, for use with my photography site but it all depends on how common the name is.

Obviously, "john smith" will not find his name at reg fee.

•••
My last name in .com has been registered since 1997 and I imagine it wouldn't be sold cheap

My ccTLD (.ca) had been registered not long after and was owned by a company of the same name. Early this year they let it expire and I stalked it out and caught it. I've already had inquiries from others wanting to buy it, but, I'm not selling. I now use myfirstname@mylastname.ca as my primary email address.

I also registered my name in .co when it initially opened for general registration. I use it for unimportant email.

You were very smart to grab your last name in .com (in my opinion)

Most people would not know anybody with the same last name as me. It isn't extremely rare, but by no means common.

•••
grabbed (mylastname).com. Use it as an email ([email protected])

Throws off people that don't know much about domains...: "don't you mean your firstname and lastname @ gmail/yahoo/hotmail?"

•••
I don't like NameLastname.tld, prefer Lastname.com and NLastname.com
(initial of first name plus Lastname, uni style (Jack Sparrow = JSparrow.com))

got both versions of mine.

•••
My last name has been registered since 1996. Someone owned my FirstnameLastname.com but they let it drop and I grabbed it a few years ago.

•••
MyLastname.com is already taken. Boo hoo sniff sniff.

•••
I have a common name... but I do own firstnamelastname.info

Last edited:
•••
My firstname and lastname are taken and always will be. Common first name and last name matching a large city (like Jack London).

Instead I registered a name and that's what I call myself. It's cheaper that way by a mile.

•••
Mine has been taken since 1996... not even a common last name.

And to top it off, they sell personalized email addresses. So I could go to their site and buy my [email protected].

Seems rather strange for a less-than-common last name...

•••
•••
I have been picking them up as I can for my grandchildren. I can't usually get just the last name anymore. Sometimes first initial and last name, sometimes first initial plus middle initial plus last name lately.

•••
No, mine were gone early and are institutionally owned, thus gone forever. My FirstNameLastName is unfortunately the name of a large law firm, who also got it very early.

I did get, however, my e(FirstName).com, which I use for email. (like [email protected])

•••
I wish I could get my lastname.com at regfee now. There must be millions of people in my country with my lastname.

•••
I've been thinking of grabbing my last name in .net because the .com is taken. My last name is the name of a small town in Spain.

•••
So if .com is taken, what is your order of preferences for MyName domain?
.net, .org, .info, ccTLD, .name, .me (actually it's ccTLD), ... ?

•••
My last name has been gone for a long, long time (early 90's) and could quite possibly be a $x,xxx,xxx domain if it was available as it's also a VERY popular generic product.

My FirstNameLastName.com was also reg'd a long time ago but recently I was able to pick up my FirstNameMiddleInitialLastName.com on a drop. Hurray for me!

•••
I had my FirstnameLastname.com for years... Let it drop and apparently there is an island with a resort with same name snatched it... booooooo to me...

•••
my last name consists of 2 words, very short, dot com was taken in 1994, and other common extensions were all registered in early 90's

•••
So if .com is taken, what is your order of preferences for MyName domain?
.net, .org, .info, ccTLD, .name, .me (actually it's ccTLD), ... ?

This is a great question. I wonder if there is any value to this.

My name is so common all of the TLD's were taken prior to 2000 by an investment company and legal team.

I would like my name, but am considering adding a nickname, initial or location with a .com instead of settling for a .me, .name, etc.

How difficult is it for others to remember Email@MyFirst&LastName.info?

•••
Sometime ago I had grabbed the mylastname.com as well as mylstname.me but found no use of it and so let it go. Now i only select those names that people generally search for their business or marketing needs.

•••
I grabbed my kid's firstlastname.com years ago. My oldest son's domain has been getting offers, but I turn them down, basically suggesting that unless they want to put my son through law school, it is not worth it to sell.

No law school offers yet, alas. ;)

Oh, my son's nickname is strawberry, so I picked up Strawberry.tv for him a while back as well, just in case.

•••
I would like my name, but am considering adding a nickname, initial or location with a .com instead of settling for a .me, .name, etc.

How difficult is it for others to remember Email@MyFirst&LastName.info?

I think that the primary draw of name domains is to have an email [email protected]
And honestly you may still find people who are not familiar with .info, so IMHO it's not worth to choose .info over say .me at the expense of having longer domain name.

•••
So I just picked up JeremySmith /org

Doesn't allow for [email protected], but it's still a common name; linkedin showing 1900 people.

Thought it worth picking up.

•••
i think if FirstNameLastName.com is not available, one should try to find the short version of their names in .com All other extensions leak traffic to .com version for sure..
For example, a very popular Indian name, Ravinder Singh, RavinderSingh.com Ravinder.com and Singh.com is all taken, But RavSin.com is available for Reg fee. (Obviously Rav & Sin somewhat makes sense in the native language)

Imagine a long email on visiting card like [email protected] 13 Chars after @, whereas [email protected], much smaller..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back