Dynadot

domain Please Appraise soci.al

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Impact
Since the social.com is on auction for 5M$, I would like to sell my hack domain soci.al.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's a Great Sale!

Congrats for that.

•••
Wow! (If it's a legit sale) Congratulations...turning down the initial 5k offer, not such a bad idea to some now huh...? Nice job!

•••
congratz to the sale, i hope we can see it pop up on dnj :):music:

I assume if it went to mark monitor you lost out on a bunch of money since mark monitor is presenting the big wigs....(just think about soci.al as url shortener for FB?) lol, didn't want to make you feel bad though, 50k is somewhat ...huge? :)

P.S: good job on holding out.....

Cheers

Liquid

•••
I sent a notice to DNJ, but apparently they just publish sedo or similar news stories. Anyway, attached is a printscrn showing the final step from escrow.com.

(I tried to clear out the transactionID from the URL, but I just noticed that it is shown in 2 other places.)

Attachments

• escrowSociAl.gif
    escrowSociAl.gif
    52.3 KB · Views: 122
•••
abrahaj, congratulation on the sell!

•••
The domain was sold for 50K$.
The process was transferred through escrow.com, from HOST.AL to MarkMonitor for an anonymous buyer.

As you see, there is a lot of potential in the hack domains and in the .al zone which has only 4500domains so far.

as an owner of one hack name if this sold domain spreads the appeal it can only be called good news ....well done for sure, a very timely hack

•••
I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen the screenshot. Wow, congratulations and thanks for sharing with us!

•••
Congrats on the sale. I was wondering why the figures are not aligned in the last column. Escrow.com is showing slightly differently for me. Now this could be a browser-specific issue due to their screwy html.
I was also wondering why the name has Markmonitor DNS set, but those DNS are not responding for the domain. Perhaps MM is going to set up hosting/forwarding later. It's just that the domain is dead now.

•••
Since few contacts through PM are asking on how was the domain advertised to attract a serious buyer, I will just share some details.

1. I contacted the brokers that handled the social.com domain but they seemed slow and not so enthusiast as I was on the potential of this domain. A good broker is a good starting point, but there are few enthusiast good brokers around.

2. Created a for-sale page (it can be still be seen (sep 15th) on Google cache) and started advertisting the domain myself.
Advertising included 5-10 twitter messages. I created an account that RT any #domain tweet. Got almost 200 followers. I asked "friends" on twitter to RT 1-2 my message about this specific domain which was for sale.

3. I decided that I would not sell the domain unless I get 20K$. I rejeceted any lower offer. I suggest the price to some potential-buyers that contacted me with sums in the x,xxx$ range. They actually rejected my 20K$ offer.

4. Even if I received the first 50K$ offer I had to be sure that I had a serious buyer. I received a 100K$ offer by email but turned out to be not a real offer.

5. Contacted domains@{google, facebook, microsoft}. After rumors from the socl.com domain linked to Microsoft I even contacted some domain agent that works for Microsoft via LinkedIn. There was no reply in the emails and the lady from Microsoft was nice to inform me that they have no interest on the domain via LinkedIn.

From the first moment of the accepted offer from the client, until the final domain transfer was a period of 2 months.

Endline, I guess I did not do something unusual from what other enthusiasts with a good domain do. I just fixed a price and waited patiently for the right buyer to come.
In the worst case, I had a domain I loved.

Last edited:
•••
Interestingly enough, I think port.al is a better name.

•••
Interestingly enough, I think port.al is a better name.
I have to disagree. I can sell the port.al domain for a x,xxx$ offer, but I wouldn't let go the soci.al unless something in the range xx,xxx$

•••
Great sale indeed! Congrats!

•••
•••
Since this is an appraisal thread and you need to own the name,
and the OP doesn't own it anymore, this thread is closed.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back