NameSilo

.mobi 2267.mobi (Stands for Cams.mobi on cellular phones)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Anthony-Martin

Account Closed
Impact
I have just registered 2267.mobi, which, on cellular phonepad (C = 2, A = 2, M = 6, S = 7), stands for Cams.mobi. The latter sold for around $24 thousand about a week ago. 2267.mobi is a numeric clone, so to say.

Let me know what is your opinion about this domain and if someone might be interested in it. Thx guys.

Just a note... there are hundreds of millions cell phones in the world, also as other mobile devices, yet many of them capable of web browsing and with good bandwidth.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't really understand how this number/letter equivalent thing is going to work. Wouldn't the "number equivalent" be the same for "cams" and, say, "cans"? Or "camp," for that matter? How does one decide/know that your number is where they need to go, unless you've advertised it?

And what happens when/if phones tend to go in the QWERTY keyboard direction?

•••
dagersh said:
I don't really understand how this number/letter equivalent thing is going to work. Wouldn't the "number equivalent" be the same for "cams" and, say, "cans"? Or "camp," for that matter? How does one decide/know that your number is where they need to go, unless you've advertised it?

Exactly !!!

•••
I need real opinions, and not jokes;)

Heman maximus, I do realize that you perhaps overspent on your 17 .mobi domains, as you stated in one of your earlier postings, and want to get rid of them. But your opinion could be unbiaised ;).

Now to the point...

dagersh said:

If we assume that dagersh is right, then all other numeric .mobi's are almost useless. For instance, 739.mobi, where 739 stands for "sex". "Wouldn't the "number equivalent" be the same for "rex" (T-rex)? How does one decide/know that your number is where they need to go, unless you've advertised it?"

Well, then dagersh should contact the owner of 739.mobi and ask to sell that domain to him for $80 at the most. :sold: :$: :hehe:

dagersh said:

You said it right: "if". Maybe they will go in QWERTY direction, and maybe not. But, first of all, those cell keyboards will have small keys and it will not be easy to type using those keys, and still, there will be hundreds and hundreds of millions cell phones with standard phonepads during all next decade, at least until 2015.

Last edited:
•••
Anthony-Martin said:
I have just registered 2267.mobi, which, on cellular phone's dial (A = 2, C = 2, M = 6, S = 7), stands for Cams.mobi. The latter sold for around $24 thousand about a week ago. 2267.mobi is a numeric clone, so to say.

Let me know what is your opinion about this domain!

Thx guys.

I personally do not think these names will have any value. Although I did pick up one just in case :)

•••
Hostway.com started this whole idea of numbers representing words (EX: taxi = 8294). They call them Vanity Domains. I picked up some premium Vanity NNN.mobi during landrush just in case.. but now I'm thinking it was just some marketing ploy to get domainers to buy more domains. It worked! but I guess we'll just have to wait and see if these types of domains will have any sort of value in the future (my guess is no). Here's info from the Hostway site:

http://www.hostway.com/domain-name/mobi_domainers.html

Consider a Vanity Domain
A vanity domain is the domain name translated into its phonepad numeric equivalent. For example:

(taxi).mobi = ‘8294’.mobi

Vanity domains make it even easier for users to enter a domain from a mobile device since numeric entries only require pressing a button once instead of having to cycle through letters. Plus, they are easy to remember and less likely to be already taken

•••
neobodhi said:
I personally do not think these names will have any value. Although I did pick up one just in case :)

I also picked up one just in case ;), but I think they do HAVE potential.

See a list of most recent sales: http://forums.DigitalPoint/showthread.php?t=163715

369.mobi sold for $3,200, 188.mobi for $625, 399.mobi for $340, and 7777.mobi for $310.

MinionDH said:
Hostway.com started this whole idea of numbers representing words (EX: taxi = 8294). They call them Vanity Domains. I picked up some premium Vanity NNN.mobi during landrush just in case.. but now I'm thinking it was just some marketing ploy to get domainers to buy more domains. It worked! but I guess we'll just have to wait and see if these types of domains will have any sort of value in the future (my guess is no). Here's info from the Hostway site:

http://www.hostway.com/domain-name/mobi_domainers.html

Consider a Vanity Domain
A vanity domain is the domain name translated into its phonepad numeric equivalent. For example:

(taxi).mobi = ‘8294’.mobi

Vanity domains make it even easier for users to enter a domain from a mobile device since numeric entries only require pressing a button once instead of having to cycle through letters. Plus, they are easy to remember and less likely to be already taken

Thanks for your suggestion. And what would be your opinion about 2267.mobi (stands for Cams.mobi)?

•••
if you ran a site at 2267.mobi and promoted and marketed it as 'cams.mobi' would you have legal ramifications from the owner of the real cams.mobi - i think so, they could probably sue for multiple reasons.

we need to keep in mind that the mobile web will still use a browser, which means that an address still needs to be entered - not sure how someone would enter numbers and expect anything else - we won't be making phone calls we will be visiting websites.

i think what you have here is 2267.mobi - a four character numeric domain, it has value as just that and the market is yet to be determined. imo your best chance of selling this would be to the owners of cams.mobi so they could protect their investment.

•••
If I type in 2267 on my standard mobile phone I get "BMP" ... since that's how phones translate 2267...

"2[pause]267777" = CAMS on a standard mobile phone.

•••
Anthony-Martin said:
I also picked up one just in case ;), but I think they do HAVE potential.

See a list of most recent sales: http://forums.DigitalPoint/showthread.php?t=163715

369.mobi sold for $3,200, 188.mobi for $625, 399.mobi for $340, and 7777.mobi for $310.

Those (except for 7777) are valuable and going for what they do simply because of their scarcity...there are only 1000 of them. I don't think they're valuable because of their "vanity" qualities. They're equally valuable in other extensions, of course.

•••
dagersh said:
Those (except for 7777) are valuable and going for what they do simply because of their scarcity...there are only 1000 of them. I don't think they're valuable because of their "vanity" qualities. They're equally valuable in other extensions, of course.

Should we therefore assume that Shop.com is less valuable than Lot.com, since Shop.com is LLLL.com and Lot.com is
LLL.com. I think LLL.com and LLLL.com refers to abbreviation domains and not to plain number of letters inside.

So IMHO the fact that there were fewer sales of numeric .mobi's is quite incidental. In fact, I think owners of numeric domains sell them without explaining what regular domains do they correspond to. Thus so few sales right now. I believe if we clearly state that 2267.mobi corresponds to Cams.mobi, then there are more chances for a successful sale.

Here is the page where Pool.com offers 5 numeric .mobi domains for sale, each for $150,000:

http://www.pool.com/DomainsForSale.aspx

9394.mobi
0214.mobi
2359.mobi
963.mobi
654.mobi

It is not easy to undertand what ultrapopular words do these numerics correspond to, and why therefore the prices are so high, because Pool.com didn't list those words next to each numeric domain. In fact it is their rule not to list any explanations for the domains that they sell.

•••
Anthony-Martin said:
Should we therefore assume that Shop.com is less valuable than Lot.com, since Shop.com is LLLL.com and Lot.com is
LLL.com.

That's quite a leap of logic -- it has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

There's no inherent meaning in 188, 369, etc., whereas in dictionary word domains, meaning is everything.

I'm not even sure why I continue arguing about this anymore...therefore, I think I'm done. Good luck with your Bonfire of the "Vanity"... :hehe:

•••
Sigh and sigh

dagersh said:
That's quite a leap of logic -- it has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.
YOUR leap, not mine.

dagersh said:
There's no inherent meaning in 188, 369, etc., whereas in dictionary word domains, meaning is everything.
NOBODY claims inherent meaning in numeric domains. The meaning is determined by cellular phonepad. ABC=2, DEF=3, etc.

dagersh said:
I'm not even sure why I continue arguing about this anymore...therefore, I think I'm done. Good luck with your Bonfire of the "Vanity"... :hehe:
And I am sure that you continue arguing because you don't understand the value of numeric domains. :hehe:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back