Domain Empire

Why Are Godaddy Payments Delayed And Members Aren't Talking About It Like Epik?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Good Day Everyone,

I have noticed with surprise the ongoing silence on Namepros over how Godaddy has been withholding money for sold domains and delayed paying them for up to a month.

Not too long ago, this forum was agog with the news of Epik withholding money from sold domains.

This new development at Godaddy hasn't received the kind of attention that Epik got and I wonder why.

I was a victim and I thought, as some persons made me believe at that time when I brought it here, that it is not a general problem. My funds were held for up to a month and when you try to contact Godaddy, you get a robotic response unlike when @joestyler was in charge and gave it a human experience by relating with you.

However, I am seeing signs that it is an increasing problem as some affected persons have come forward to talk about their personal experiences on Twitter.

See here:
And here is another person's experience:
Another strange development is the issue of payments for sold domain names being canceled after confirmation.

See here:

Godaddy promised to pay in 3 days or at most 7 days but this is becoming a mirage for some sellers as they have had to wait for 1 month or more to get paid.

All does not seem to be well at Godaddy and people aren't giving it the much-needed attention they should and I wonder why.

One thing that is clear to me also is the fact that there are fresh recruits at Godaddy who do not seem to understand how the domain market or business works. This happened when a domain name I won at auction and paid for was canceled and removed from my account. I reached out to JoeStyler on Twitter and that was how I found out that he is no longer in charge. Ever since that experience, every response you get when you reach out to Godaddy is kind of robotic.

G

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My payments have been kind of a mixed bag lately.

I had a Dan.com LTO payment arrive a week late, with no real explanation. Yet at the same time, payment for an Afternic sale on Thursday arrived in my account on Monday morning.

I really doubt it is a financial issue as much as a system issue.

It does seem like GoDaddy is taking a long time to release some of these funds. I have seen multiple people mention it on Twitter and NamePros.

I wonder if they are facing some type of issue related to fraud like chargebacks.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Well, it's been tax time in the U.S. Any possibility of tax issues contributing to the delays? Audits? Just a thought, given the timing. Some states in the U.S. have passed laws requiring taxation of online sales. Some cities also have their own set of income rules. May be confusing.

Sorry to hear that this matter was a source of distress. It sounds like overall, processing may be delayed in certain cases, and patience is key. I'm glad to hear that you ultimately did get paid.

Last edited:
•••
Well, it's been tax time in the U.S. Any possibility of tax issues contributing to the delays? Audits? Just a thought, given the timing. Some states in the U.S. have passed laws requiring taxation of online sales. Some cities also have their own set of income rules. May be confusing.

Sorry to hear that this matter was a source of distress. It sounds like overall, processing may be delayed in certain cases, and patience is key. I'm glad to hear that you ultimately did get paid.
Tax? I doubt it because this has been on for several months.

•••
It's not just payment issues. They completely, utterly SUCK. PERIOD.

Found a buyer for a wholesale deal few weeks ago, imported a lead, provided them with an auth code and what do you think happened next? Nothing. First they lied to the buyer that I hadn't provided the code (after around 4 days), then they replied to me that the issue was being resolved (it wasn't). The result: they couldn't transfer the domain. 10 days passed and I cancelled the transaction, asked to refund the buyer and we done the deal elsewhere.

Last edited:
•••
It's not just payment issues. They completely, utterly SUCK. PERIOD.

Found a buyer for a wholesale deal few weeks ago, imported a lead, provided them with an auth code and what do you think happened next? Nothing. First they lied to the buyer that I hadn't provided the code (after around 4 days), then they replied to me that the issue was being resolved (it wasn't). The result: they couldn't transfer the domain. 10 days passed and I cancelled the transaction, asked to refund the buyer and we done the deal elsewhere.
WOW... JUST WOW.

So sorry about your experience.

•••
My payments have been kind of a mixed bag lately.

I had a Dan.com LTO payment arrive a week late, with no real explanation. Yet at the same time, payment for an Afternic sale on Thursday arrived in my account on Monday morning.

I really doubt it is a financial issue as much as a system issue.

It does seem like GoDaddy is taking a long time to release some of these funds. I have seen multiple people mention it on Twitter and NamePros.

I wonder if they are facing some type of issue related to fraud like chargebacks.

Brad
When does GoDaddy have to report financials to the stock market? Any chance they're holding back funds until after that to try and make earnings look better than they really are? I would doubt it, but I put nothing past GD these days.

•••
I guess the main difference between this and Epik is that people are getting paid in the end even if it's late. Big difference to not getting paid at all like Epik.

When people aren't getting paid and not getting refunds and not getting domains back and having domains stolen maybe it'll get more attention.

•••
If it were a system issue, why haven't they come forward to say that (unless I missed this)? I am more worried about financial issues. Hopefully it's a system issue though. My payments have been on time though so no complaints with that. However, I do have a defaulted lease they haven't returned the domain yet; not sure how long do they usually take to return them though.

Last edited:
•••
Payment for a domain sale is running 10 days to 2 weeks...LTO has been on time +/- a couple of days.

My problem is with 'broker' activity. Non response and lackadaisical interaction with buyers is at the unacceptable level.

I'm not far away from delisting my names from their marketplace. Either get aggressive brokers or give me the leads.

•••
the main difference between this and Epik is that people are getting paid in the end even if it's late. Big difference to not getting paid at all like Epik.
Hi

+1

i can deal with delayed payments, because i may have held that name for 15 years, before it sold.
duh!
so, if payment is a few days or couple of weeks late, then no biggie.

imo...

•••
Payment for a domain sale is running 10 days to 2 weeks...LTO has been on time +/- a couple of days.

My problem is with 'broker' activity. Non response and lackadaisical interaction with buyers is at the unacceptable level.

I'm not far away from delisting my names from their marketplace. Either get aggressive brokers or give me the leads.
I delisted many because of this; currently testing with namepros parking.

•••
•••
•••
No problem here. I got paid two days after the sales not long ago.
I never had any problem with quick payments and I am not based in the US.

Last edited:
•••
I delisted many because of this; currently testing with namepros parking.
I'm testing some as well. Waiting on min offer capability before adding more.

Most of the ones I've added came from Godaddy/Afternic parking.

Last edited:
•••
We recently identified an isolated incident at one of our reseller partners, prompting concerns about potential fraudulent activity.

While we regret any inconvenience caused by temporary payout delays, this precaution is crucial to safeguarding the integrity of our transactions. It impacted only a small number of transactions but was vital to maintaining the high standards that define the Afternic marketplace. All other transactions continue to be paid out as normal and have had no impact to payout timelines.

For the few sellers with impacted sales, we are actively addressing this issue and are working to expedite the investigation process. We value the patience and understanding of the sellers affected.

This incident is limited in scope and does not affect the broader operations of Afternic’s network. We are grateful for your continued support and partnership. Thank you for being part of our community.

•••
@GoDaddy Can you tell us a bit more about the fraudulent activities that have taken place?

•••
•••
Well, it may be useful, between the discussions on social media and here, to figure out if certain patterns are associated with the payment delays, reversals, or even account closures.

For example, if the KYC (know your customer) is becoming more of an issue, coulld use of a VPN potentially cause troiuble? Are buyers and sellers in certain countries seeing more of this as an issue? And, if so, are there alternative marketplaces where that has not been a problem?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back