Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
.IN DOMAIN REACHES 100,000 REGISTRATIONS IN 90 DAYS

New Delhi, 6 April 2005 - The .IN country code internet domain name Registry services set up by the National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI) announced today that the .IN domain has surpassed 100,000 registrations in just over 90 days since it was officially re-launched.

Shri Brijesh Kumar, Secretary to the Government of India, Ministry of Communications & Information Technology and Chairman of NIXI,expressed his satisfaction at the progress made by .IN Registry in a short period of time. He said that “NIXI’s achievement is laudable and sets standard for many other’s to follow in terms of enabling the best of the breed technology to deliver a truly world class service.

“The revitalization of the .IN domain has proved to be a tremendous success,” said Mr. Amitabh Singhal, CEO of NIXI. “Since re-launching the domain in January of 2005, registrations have increased by a factor of ten, enabling many Indian organizations, businesses, and Internet users around the world to establish their unique online presence.”

.IN's re-launch began in January with the opening of a 21-day Sunrise period for trademark owners. More than 2,000 names were registered during this period, or approximately 4% of total registrations. . IN was officially opened to the public on 16 February 2005. More than 45,000 registrations, or 52% of total names registered to date, were registered during the initial 24-hour period of this land rush. Subsequently, the name has grown to over 100,000 names as of 06 April 2005.

.IN names are held by registrants from 108 different countries, the most popular of which are India, Germany, and the United States, which together account for over 80% of registrations. The top ten countries are:

INDIA 62%
GERMANY 11%
UNITED STATES 10%
UNITED KINGDOM 3%
SWITZERLAND 2%
KOREA, REPUBLIC OF 2%
CHINA 1%
NETHERLANDS 1%
THAILAND 1%
CANADA 1%
. IN is positioned as the official space for all things uniquely Indian on the Internet. As “virtual India,” the .IN domain is the best place to have a Web site or e-mail address if you want to say you are from India or want to reach the Indian market in an authentic manner. With the new pricing and policies, .IN names are easy to obtain and affordable, and they are supported by world-class technology that delivers fast, reliable, and secure service that is second to none.

“We are pleased to see interest in the .IN domain from many areas of the world and believe this bodes well for future growth and success. This is also an encouraging sign that many Internet users outside of India have an interest in expressing their Indian nationality or connection via their Internet address,” said Singhal.

More than 25 registrars now offer .IN domains worldwide to their customers. A full list is available at http://www.inregistry.in/accredited_registrars/

About .IN Registry

.IN Registry has been created by the National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI). Promoted by the Department of Information Technology (DIT) in association with The Internet Service Providers Association of India (DIT), NIXI is a Not-for-Profit Company under Section 25 of the Indian Companies Act, 1956, with the objective of facilitating improved Internet services in the country.

The technical and business activities of the .IN Registry will operate from New Delhi, India. NIXI is managed and operated on a Neutral basis, in line with the best practices for such initiatives globally and is a Not-for-Profit operation. NIXI has ambitious plans to provide impetus to .IN domain registrations in the country.

Under NIXI, the .IN Registry functions as an autonomous body with primary responsibility for maintaining the .IN ccTLD and ensuring its operational stability, reliability, and security. It will implement the various elements of the new policy set out by the Government of India and its Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, Department of Information Technology.

The Government decided to revamp the administration of the .IN registry in late 2004. .IN Registry has assumed responsibility for the registry from the previous registry authority, The National Centre for Software Technology and its Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC). This change was announced via an executive order through a gazette notification issued by the Department of Information Technology (DIT), Government of India, according a legal status to the .IN Registry. .IN Registry does not carry out registrations itself. Instead, it accredits registrars through an open process of selection on the basis of transparent eligibility criteria.

For more information please visit http://www.registry.in/

For further information, please contact:
Shweta Gupta/ Nidhi Srivastava
GCI- The PR Division of Grey Worldwide,
Tel: 51633612-14
E-mail:
[email protected]
[email protected]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Thank you for the article. I would love to know the current number of registrations and their breakdowns into .in, co.in, ind.in, etcetera.

What is the reason for Thailand being in the top ten countries (a misspelled statement, not a question) :hehe:

•••
Am learning more and more each day, thanks :hearts:

•••
Maybe that'll help convince when I see another .in for sale - actually withdrew my bid for a 711.in domain :)

•••
Wow..mate...m from India too...that a preety nice info u got in there....Will be hunting for my own .in soon. thanx for the info.

•••
does this mean the landrush is on?

•••
I'm suprised that the US isn't #2 on the list but it's only by 1%. Thanks for the article, though, as it provides some interesting information.

•••
Some obscure German registry got many of the top names. I'm not surprised Germany is second on the list.

CrazyTech said:
I'm suprised that the US isn't #2 on the list but it's only by 1%. Thanks for the article, though, as it provides some interesting information.

•••
No problem guys glad it was useful,

VIVking land rush kind of already happened all good names or obvious good names taken.

Crazy I know the Germans are in the lead by 1 % and then theres WOT hahaha

•••
Great info..proud to read it

•••
good sutff!, I'm completly surprised to hear this!

•••
India being the leader in the offshore there is a lot of potential for .IN names in the near future.

In developed countries like US majority of the services offered over the internet. (online taxes, online deals, hotel reservations...etc)

where India is now catching up on them. so there is a HUGE potential for online service related domain names.

what do you guys say?

•••
and now with the US India relationship getting stronger, there is a chance of upliftment of indian net economy

•••
Great News.

I make Canada's 1% ;)

•••
congrats to be in that 1%

•••
I own some domain names targetting NRI (Non Resident Indian)services

NRIsavings.com
NRIfunds.com
NRIreturns.com
NRImatchmaker.com
NRIServices.in & NRIServices.co.in
NRIdeposits.com

do you guys think they will have any value? in the future?
Given the fact that all the corporate banks (Citi, ICICI, HSBC and many) are targetting NRI revenue as one of their major sources of income..

•••
Surely, most NRI domains have predicted value from 2010 onwards

•••
I see little value in .in / .co.in names - although I did pick up :

IPTelephony.co.in/.in , Smartphone.co.in, Microelectronics.in, TheNews.co.in recently :laugh:

Have you checked out TajMahal.co.in lately!

Last edited:
•••
Well, surely with the Internet revolution in India, .IN is got to grow. Just like we had the telephony / mobile boom 5 years ago, which changed the whole story and stats with call rates being the cheapest now in India, Internet revolution is here to stay, and .IN only is adding fuel to the fire!

I got several .IN domains in the initial booking phase for .INs and there is little doubt about their value in my mind. My domain, Dak.IN sold for around 500$ [ http://namepros.com/showthread.php?t=108191 ] within days of registration.

With India being the fastest growing economy, it's no doubt a promising extension.
All the best to all the .IN owners!

•••
If there is three letters .in names still available?

•••
I'd bet sure they are. If not, you can find many good ones in bulk sales within $40 each. What do you say, friends?

•••
i have got couple of .IN names too...

FutureShop.IN, LoveLife.IN, BioSensors.IN, VideoShop.IN, GoAirlines.co.in, AfterHours.IN and few more

what do you guys think of these names ?

•••
i got uploads.in brilliant stats :)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back