IT.COM

GreatDomains Agreement

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

armstrong

Man from ManilaVIP Member
Impact
GD requires a signed contract before an approved domain is finally listed. I went through it and realized that the contract implies exclusive brokerage rights to GD for the duration of the agreement. Here it is the relevant clause:

2. Lock-Down and Power of Attorney. Registrant shall not itself, or allow or enable another to, transfer the Domain Name other than under the provisions of this Agreement. Registrant grants GreatDomains the right to cause and prevent the transfer of the Domain Name to any third party other than under the provisions of this Agreement. Registrant hereby appoints GreatDomains as its attorney in fact to act in Registrant’s capacity to do every act that Registrant may legally do through an attorney in fact for the purpose of preventing the transfer of the Domain Name other than under the terms of this Agreement. Registrant grants to its attorney in fact full authority to act in any manner both proper and necessary to the exercise of the foregoing powers, including without limitation the authority to take all actions necessary with the registrar of the Domain Name that would prevent the transfer of the Domain Name to any third party other than as provided for under the provisions of this Agreement.

Is my understanding of this clause accurate? If you wish end the agreement, check out this clause:

5. Term This agreement shall have an initial term of 6 months from the date of execution hereof (“Term”), and, upon termination of each term hereof, shall automatically renew and extend for additional like terms unless either party shall advise the other in writing within 15 days prior to the expiration of any Term hereof of its intent to terminate the Agreement upon termination of the respective Term. GreatDomains may terminate this Agreement without cause upon providing Registrant with 30 days prior written notice of such termination.

So if you want out, you have to notify them in writing 15 days before the end of each 6-month automatically-recuring term.

I have no problems with granting them exclusive brokerage rights for my soon-to-be-listed domains, but just wanted to post this so that others could avoid the lamentable situation of selling a GD listed domain outside GD, then getting the deal stopped at the registrar level, or worse, getting sued by GD.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks man!

I just was just contacted by them to add one of my premium domains. I was considering it, however with what you quoted, I will definitely have to pass. Thanks again.

•••
You're welcome. I figure I'll let them give it a shot for at least six months. If anyone contacts me about the domain during that time, then I can point them to the GD site. After six months (actually, 15 days before the end of six months), if they fail to come up with any leads, then I always have the option to cancel the listing.

•••
Wow! I just submitted various requests. I guess I'll have to pass as well, if they consider listing them.

Thanks for the info!

:D

•••
It sounds reasonable. As a brokerage, they don't want to be spinning their wheels negotiating a name and have you sell it out from under them. Like armstrong says, you could just send potential buyers over to GreatDomains.

•••
RJ,

You know, you're right- they'd be doing all the work. It's work that I am not currently doing anyway, so maybe it's not so unreasonable. I guess "if" they accept to list my names, it's not such a bad thing to go through with it.

Thanks-

A

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back