IT.COM

Free hosting

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
not sure if this is the correct forum but anyway. i was wondering if anyone has heard of this or used it or opinions on it. the site is 1and1.com and they are offering 3 years free hosting with the following features:

The Following Features Are All Included:

Website/Connectivity:
Hosted on I/O optimized own 1&1 Linux version
500 MB web space
5,000 MB/month traffic ($0.99 per GB for additional traffic)
No limits on simultaneous hits/bandwidth
Protected by firewall
Continuous backups of your website
99.9% Uptime guarantee
Website features:
Advanced live site statistics, log files, ready-to-run CGI-library, own CGI programming (Perl, Python), FrontPage 2002 extensions
Advanced Password Protection
5 FTP accounts
PHP3 & PHP4
MySQL
Proxy SSL Secure Server
Cron Jobs
SSH Secure Shell Access
Advanced Developer Tools
CRM/E-commerce:
WebElements
Newsletter Tool
One-on-one online dialogue
Turn-key web database applications
Chats
Forums
Domain names:
Register or transfer .com/.net/.org/.info for just $5.99/year
50 subdomains (e.g., shop.yourDomain.com)
Point up to 100 external domain names to 1&1
Applications:
Free template loaded online WebsiteCreator
Free full version of Fusion 7, search engine registration, ranking, optimization
Total software worth $300
1&1 Control Panel
E-mail handling:
50 POP3 e-mail accounts (50 MB each)
Catch-all e-mail addresses
Auto-responders, unlimited forwarding.
1&1 Advanced WebMail
Symantec virus scanner
Support:
1&1 Express support by e-mail

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
thats what im trying to find out. as far as i can tell no. ive checked out a site someone set up through this from another forum and his had no ads.

•••
•••
the only thing i see is if you go over your monthly bandwidth. i have signed up and they never ask for a credit card. i have also checked out a few peoples sites that they have set up through them and there is no advertising. ive heard this company is huge in europe or something and this is their way of breaking in to the us market. i am just going to set up a simple site with my daughters pictures and things like that for the grandparents to view and see how it works.

•••
what is the link to the host?

•••
•••
•••
seems free. but anybody else can clear this up?.

Also if somebody signs up for me and sends me the account details i will give you 100Nps*

*after i get confirmed that it is really free

•••
Originally posted by Webtwink
seems free. but anybody else can clear this up?.

Also if somebody signs up for me and sends me the account details i will give you 100Nps*

*after i get confirmed that it is really free

it is free but you will need to sign up yourself. one of the things they do after you sign up is send an automated call to your phone number. you can only sign up once per phone number. the automated call gives you a pin to activte your account.

•••
I have also signed up for this offer yesterday! Took them a while to activate the account, but everything is great now!

•••
1and1

The compnay indeed is very solid - they have been selling mostly to enterprise market and have a lot of spare capital, there seems to be a couple of them trying to bite on a us market, another european giant is server4you.com - they offer dedicated servers

•••
Did you get any direct feedback from people currently using their Free Hosting?

The only thing I dont like is that they ask for a CC.

Mike

•••
did you notice any fine print?
the offer seems to GOOD to be true!!
sorry, i'm a newbie, what's a CC? credit card?

•••
CC = Credit Card :)

Me I am just leary about free Hosts redirecting my Traffic, not that I can say these people do.

•••
i did not see a cc requirement there... and my test account is working just fine... but as i always say, el cheapo accounts or 'free' are only good for the heck of it or personal random projects not for mission critical or business sites.

•••
I will beat any hosting package!!
Adult hosting also ok. Starting at 25 Yearly and its huge.

•••
Its hard to beat 3 years of free quality hosting :)

•••
account activation, headache. how do you activate the account. i am getting autmated calls asking me to press a number, but it keeps calling me again, again, again, again, and again. OMG. somebody plz help me.

thank you.

•••
Just seems like the bandwidth stuff. Make sure you read all small print, user stuff everything.

One host my mate found, after he used the free hosting for like a month he has to pay $30 a month and was not allowed to cancel the contract.

So be careful

•••
Oh yeah!
oneandone.co.uk their great. Cant do no wrong. just check to be on safe side

•••
Everything is great for me so far! I activated the account by picking up the phone, and everything is great right now!

•••
how did you activate. i got the call after 15 minutes but it says nothing :(

•••
lol. read the document about it.

•••
somebody else complaint against 1&1

I am the victim of an extortion by 1 & 1 Internet Ltd. :

A few years ago I registered the domain EnglishPolitics.com with OneAndOne.co.uk - part of Schlund registrars.
I was unaware that they would renew this domain automatically, thereby using unauthorised card transactions.
I no longer wanted the domain after one year, and when they renewed it, I just thought it not worth the effort complaining.

Suffice to say, the card I initially used expired, and when they attempted to renew it a second time in early 2003, it didn't work.
They sent a letter asking for payment to my company address, and I ignored it, as I didn't wish this domain any longer.
A month or so later, they sent another letter, this time with the cheek to add a £5 late fee, warning me I risked losing the domain and services. No bother I thought, I didn't want it anyway - so I couldn't care less.

Well... today I received a letter from one decidely dodgy debt collecting organisation - "The Credit Protection Association" of 350 King Street London, claiming I 'owe' 1&1 the princely sum of £25.56. "It is essential.... that take immediate action....", the letter states, "...otherwise serious consequences could arise". I don't take kindly to threats . But that's not all... the letter continues, "...We can initiate a report which may result in enquiry agents obtaining details of a debtor's assets, income and creditors...". Excuse me, this sounds like invasion of privacy, and slander. I don't owe 1&1 ANY money - THEY took it on themselves to attempt to renew the domain WITHOUT MY AUTHORISATION.
Well, they're not finished yet... "If payment is not received by our member... within 7 days.... the full resources of this organisation shall be put at your creditor's disposal to take all necessary steps to ensure full payment of this debt." In anyones book - that is totally malicious and unfounded. I could report them to the police right away.
Wait... they haven't finished! Do these sods ever stop trying to frighten the honest and steadfast?
"These steps could undoubtedly cause you considerable additional expense, together with ... publicity of legal process...". Well that's the final straw - threatening to make a totally unfounded and untrue rumour 'public' - what pathetic scum. Anyone care to be my lawyer, or shall I represent myself?

All this seems to be a lot of hot air. I don't need this kind of ****e arriving in my mailbox, even though I know I'm totally absolvent of this ridiculousness. It might be fun, seeing how this thing pans out...

Since I never signed any contract - surely this is harrasment, and malicious slander? I don't have any liability whatsoever do I?
In the first place, I didn't authorise renewal of my domain, nor knew anything about it. Furthermore, they took money off my card without my express permission.

One thing's for sure - DON'T use One and One anymore people - if they resort to things like this to try and get money out of you for domains you don't even want, then try and take legal action against you - would you trust them?

I'm not really worried - if they go ahead and try and start legal action, well then, I do know a little about legal issues - I'll take them to court under the UK Malicious Communications Act plainly for their letter - with fines of up to £10,000 - should be a nice little contribution to that Porsche I had my eyes on . And I haven't even considered the potential money I could make out of the slander and libel they would committ if they attempted to start legal action.

Copy this from another site. is it the same Same company???

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back