IT.COM

WildWest Joins the Rip-Off the Customer Club

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
This has been some week I have had with companies in the expiring name field. First I had Pool.com register a name I didn't order and refuse to give a refund (a credit was issued instead).

Then I had Namewinner give not just one but TWO domains I won in open public bidding to someone else (the proof of my high bids is STILL on their website).

Now along comes GoDaddy's WildWest division to complete the trifecta. I had a backorder on HOA.net Saturday. They failed to get it (no surprise there) but then they are supposed to return the backorder to your account so you can switch it to something else. Well, they never returned the backorder and now they claim I never had a backorder to begin with so I have no name and no money. You can't show them otherwise because they remove the backorder from your account during the drop.

I asked for feedback from others when the incidents and Pool and Namewinner occurred and found out that these were regular events at those two services. How about this situation at WildWest/GoDaddy - anyone else had that happen?

What I have learned from this is never trust any of these services. I now check my Pool backorder list everyday to make sure they have notadded additionalnames I did not order. I now copy the WildWest backorder page everyday before the drop, so if they steal any more backorders I can show them proof it was there. Namewinner is still a problem - how do you guard again invisible bidders? I am writing the president there for an official company comment and then there will be a story at Domain Name Journal on the situation at NW/Dotster.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've never had that happen. I've backordered and missed on around a dozen names and the backorder always stayed so I could change the domain name on it after a failed attempt.

I hope this is a freak occurrence that you can get to the bottom of. GoDaddy is the last place around where you can get an affordable name on a drop.

•••
Same here....I currently have about 35 BO's (no hidden meaning there) with them and never an issue.

Unless you count not catching a name an issue ;)

Today they missed grapejuice.net and fleashampoo.com - oh well.

(I keep setting them up and they keep knocking them down....then I set them up again the next day)

•••
I have bought 38 backorders from them and this is a first. It would have to come in the same week when I had already been hosed by Pool and NameWinner! :)

•••
Anyone have a contact for NW?

I have emailed [email protected] many times with no success., About a name they caught in Limbo for 4 months now., Still say's pending in my account., I believe they are earing from the traffic though.

•••
WWD = GoDaddy

Ergo, same lack of understanding and serving the customer's needs.

•••
Originally posted by timechange.com
WWD = GoDaddy

Ergo, same lack of understanding and serving the customer's needs.
That's exactly right
WWD = GoDaddy reseller club.. They charge $99 to set up a complete turnkey domain registration svc... I got a email from WWD offering this today.. but it was from GoDaddy c/o WWD division.

•••
Duke - never had that happen, and ive lost probably 100 times so far. I had one weirder though:
http://www.ohashi.us/godaddy.bmp
check that out. It says someone else backordered the domain ive had backordered for a while! (it already dropped - gm1.com).

That is weird!

•••
kevin,

thats funny...I'm 90% sure I had that name in my BO account.

hadnt seen that response in my control panel before though.

Larry

•••
Originally posted by kohashi
Duke - never had that happen, and ive lost probably 100 times so far. I had one weirder though:
check that out. It says someone else backordered the domain ive had backordered for a while! (it already dropped - gm1.com).

That is weird!

I thought it was one per customer! :laugh:

•••
Contact [email protected]. He is extremely helpful and has helped me resolve several issues in the past. I have never had any probs with BO'S but wouldn't hurt to contact Brian and let him know what happened. I know for a fact that if your payment to them for the BO was made via creditcard that their acct dept will have a record of that trxn, so Brian can probably take care of this for you. Good luck.

LSU

Last edited:
•••
Originally posted by lsutiger
Contact [email protected]. He is extremely helpful and has helped me resolve several issues in the past. I have never had any probs with BO'S but wouldn't hurt to contact Brian and let him know what happened. I know for a fact that if your payment to them for the BO was made via creditcard that their acct dept will have a record of that trxn, so Brian can probably take care of this for you. Good luck.

LSU

Thanks LSU. What is Brian's position at GoDaddy?

•••
Originally posted by kohashi

That is weird!

I had gm1.com on backorder with wwd and pool. So you are saying you backordered it too.

•••
Originally posted by Duke
Thanks LSU. What is Brian's position at GoDaddy?

I think he is just in technical support, but may even be a super. Not certain. Anywho, wouldn't hurt to contact him and explain things. The guy is A+ in my book when it comes to handling trouble issues. Good luck.

•••
Duke , I have never had this problem, and you know that I currently have over 100 BO's open, and have secured about 60 names through them. Out of the 100+ that are open, they always show back up. But I feel for you. I'll send you a PM with the direct number to the Owner's son. He should be able to help you out.

•••
Thanks Sid. They have not charged me for the missing BO. I still don't know what happened but to be sure I now copy my full backorder list each day before the drop, so if it occurs again I will have undeniable evidence. Since no one else is reporting similar problems (unlike incidents I have posted with other companies) It is either an isolated incident or I made a mistake somewhere along the line. I have been in contact with their customer service people several times about this and, particularly in the last couple of responses, they have been very professional and courteous in dealing with it. I no longer have any issues with them.

Last edited:
•••
Originally posted by Duke
Thanks Sid. They have not charged me for the missing BO. I still don't know what happened but to be sure I now copy my full backorder list each day before the drop, so if it occurs again I will have undeniable evidence. Since no one else is reporting similar problems (unlike incidents I have posted with other companies) It is either an isolated incident or I made a mistake somewhere along the line. I have been in contact with their customer service people several times about this and, particularly in the last couple of responses, they have been very professional and couretous in dealing with it. I no longer have any issues with them.

Glad to hear everything worked out. :) See ya around.

•••
hmm... weird. Never heard of this happening before. Well missing back orders yes! >:( pain.

•••
Wild West is just bad news

I had a similar bad experience with "Wild West Domain Names."
I purchased five domain names from a company that was using Wild West as their administrative contact and reseller, and NONE of the names ever showed up as being purchased by me, even though the sales went through on my credit card.

I wrote to the company, and I asked them to transfer the names to my company, since it was obviously a mistake--they were named as the payee on my VISA statement.

The company never responded, and now my domain names (some pretty damn good ones, too) are lost in the waiting system..... I have no idea if I will ever be able to purchase them, since "whosit" still lists Wild West as the domain name holder.

Shame on that company!!!

•••
You're not alone, Dukester. One backorder position at GoDaddy disappeared from my account about 5 weeks ago. After SEVERAL related inquiries, I'm still waiting for a response.

Can I say GD SUCKS here? :)

Scott

•••
If your backorder of a domain fails you need to go back to your domain alert monitoring list select the domain and delete the backorder on the failed domain registration attempt.

It will then be added back to your list.

If you have no idea what I am on about here then I am not sure if you have done this process correctly. I have placed over 20 domains on back order and have had no issues.

I hope this helps

Joe

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back