NameSilo

Microsoft sues over "MikeRoweSoft"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

aww

Established Member
Impact
Microsoft is now suing, after offering $10 for one guy's legitimate business domain name. Even the mainstream TV news is reporting on this, but this article has some of the best coverage.

...when an email from Microsoft’s Canadian lawyers Smart & Biggar arrived on 19 November laying out its complaint, he was “amazed and appalled”. He replied saying he didn’t want to hand over the domain and didn’t feel there was any risk it would damage Microsoft’s name.

He then got another email. “They responded to this email by offering to give me all of my out-of-pocket expenses in return for the domain name. This came out to be $10; the amount I paid for the domain. This made me feel insulted. I had spent a lot of time building up my site and I had only been offered $10 for my work. I responded by asking for $10,000, which I regret doing now, for my work and domain name.”

As he now knows, Mike had unwittingly slipped into the classic trap set by companies in order to get hold of domain names - the creation of a “bad faith” use of the domain. By offering to sell the domain for profit (even if sparked by the offer of payment by the other party), according to the bent logic of domain dispute arbitrators, it shows the owner had no legitimate interest in the domain and so it should be handed over.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Yes I heard about this.

This thing is getting far too serious.

•••
:laugh:

I'm on Mike Rowe's side. :)

Alright, so it's understandable why Microsoft want this domain, yet it's just soo silly. They should just forget about it. I'll be shocked, but not surprised if Microsoft do manage to pull this name off though.

•••
Re: Microsoft sues over "MikeRoweSoft"

I had spent a lot of time building up my site and I had only been offered $10 for my work. I responded by asking for $10,000, which I regret doing now, for my work and domain name.”
As he now knows, Mike had unwittingly slipped into the classic trap set by companies in order to get hold of domain names - the creation of a “bad faith” use of the domain. By offering to sell the domain for profit (even if sparked by the offer of payment by the other party), according to the bent logic of domain dispute arbitrators, it shows the owner had no legitimate interest in the domain and so it should be handed over.
How would you,anyone,respond to such a offer ..any offer on a domain you own. Would it be better to get a broker or not even respond to a ridiculous low offer.
jim

•••
Whatever happens, Mike Rowe is getting an amazing amount of publicity (he says so himself in his website), worth more than the $10k he was asking..

Microsoft's fighting not just in court but in the court of public opinion here, but in the long term, the PR surrounding Rowe will eventually become a lucrative and free marketing windfall.

He actually wins either way, and the louder he hems and haws, the more sympathy and ultimately, publicity, he gets.

•••
Looks as though his site has since gone down.

•••
If this was a *trademark* case in a US court, Microsoft would lose.

But with ICANN, it can be a whim, his chances are 50/50.

•••
Originally posted by WhSox21
Looks as though his site has since gone down.
slashdot effect probably. With all the news coverage, server load must've taken a bath.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
saw it also on cnn..or... headline news.. getting some BIG pub. maybe a case of reverse hijacking??..mr berryhill..any opinions(if you're here)??

•••
Mikes going to win i think!

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
if it's his name he might

•••
back-up

Originally posted by bensontwenty
Thanks for that - was trying to access it all day yesterday to see what the fuss was about.

sites up... new host

•••
Like it said in the artical "Microsoft has no hope in the world of winning" and also a lot of lawyers will help him for free :)

•••
•••
•••
Microsoft just got bored and thought.... we got all this money so maybe we should go pick on someone.:notme:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back