NameSilo

A quick poll...biz or us?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

.biz or .us?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Some good names (IMO) are available in both the .biz and .us extensions.

I'm interested in seeing what NamePros Members feel is the best of those two.

Thanks for participating,
ST

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have said .biz just because .us market seems to be flat at the moment and even good names are going very cheap, saying that though .biz isn't really strong either but just creaps foward for me IMO

•••
Depends on the domain - something more suited for a business website would go to .biz and other keywords that don't really match the .biz ext go to .us

•••
.BIZ is a gTLD, which makes it one level more generic than .US. Yes, .BIZ is a creeper, slowly and steadily, primarily on B2B space.

•••
Thanks so far.
I'm tending to lean towards the .biz angle.
Would it matter if it was a "Poker" name?

ST

•••
.biz for sure

.us only good for americans

•••
auntystatic said:
.us market seems to be flat at the moment and even good names are going very cheap...

No offense, but that's incorrect. Truly good .US domains are not going very cheap, and most indicators show the .US market is strong. That doesn't mean you won't find decent names going cheap between resellers, including myself at times, but that's the exception not the rule.

In addition, a quick note....

The #1 top reported sale for a new TLD this year is a... .US

2 of the 3 top reported sales for new TLD's this year are... .US

Also number 6, 9, 15 (etc.)

*New TLD's include .US, .BIZ and .INFO

Those are hardly the statistics from a market that "seems to be flat".

Again, no offense, but just trying to bring more facts to the table.

It's true, it's primary target/reach is America, but keep in mind the size and power of that market. :!:

As for .BIZ, I have nothing against it, and have recently started acquiring some 3-letter and single words for myself. I feel it's an extension that will only get better and one that has started to grow on me personally. As mole pointed out... "BIZ is a gTLD, which makes it one level more generic"... which is a strong point in it's favor, and one that can't be ignored.

Truthfully, if you focus on single words, 3-letter and generic terms, .US .BIZ & .INFO are all safe bets in my opinion. With these new extensions, it's more about what 'type' of names you buy, rather than in which extension. Even though my main bread and butter is .US, I'm not saying it's better. I'm just trying to defend it, and saying it's not worse.

Interesting note: many of my best .US buyers are outside America. Some of my best sales have been to people from Netherlands, UK, China etc. (Nexus requirements aside) and the interest globally for .US domains has been a pleasant surprise to me.

Final note: I just won my first auction at TDNAM, for what I consider a great 3-letter .BIZ domain. As I said, I have nothing against .BIZ and would never discourage it's purchase or use. I'm growing more fond of that extension and I'm currently trying to scoop up some good ones for myself.

Peace, Love and Soul. :)

Last edited:
•••
Great post db.

Thanks for sharing,
ST

•••
none taken db :)

My comments were on the back of observations, yours are on the back of facts - facts win hands down and I take back "the .us market seems flat"

•••
-db- said:
I'm growing more fond of that extension and I'm currently trying to scoop up some good ones for myself.

.BIZ is like wasabe, it gets up your nose, but gives the fish a nice twang. After a while, you learn not to breath in the sucker, and enjoy the taste.

•••
I admit, I'm a .US "fanboy", "cheerleader" or whatever term best describes me. :red: :guilty:

I try to remain neutral and fair though, and keep my patriotism from getting the best of me. I would never put down another extension just to try and make my own personal choice look better, or stroke my .US ego. That's not cool, and I don't like it when other people do it.

Some of the ".com only" guys do that to those who support the new TLD's. We need to stick together. :)

•••
Great post -db-! I would definitely say .us is a better extension than .biz. In my own personal experiences, my .us domains have sold for more money than the biz version, even when the domains are business related. Plus, there are all the things that -db- said, so I would definitely go with .us

•••
Just another .us "cheerleader", I suppose, but as a ccTLD it's the strongest economy with the most true "consumers" period. We have dominated the .com namespace for some time, but as .com's become more and more scarce, I do think that regional businesses/firms especially will be well served in protecting the .us namespace as well.

However, .biz is a strong position to hold as well, IMHO.

Can't go wrong with either (With good keywords, etc.).

-Allan

•••
If I am given these 2 choices, and my business at least has some connection to the US (eg. headquartered in America), then I would tend to register .us over .biz. The .biz extension to me seems a bit cheesy and not authoritative enough (eg. using 4 instead of for).

•••
.BIZ, IMHO. .US is too specifically targetted, though it has a slightly more professional and business-like image.

True_Snake

•••
If I found a really good name available in the .us and .biz extension and I could only register the domain for one extension. I would personally choose the .us extension over the .biz. This is because I think the popularity of the .us will surpass that of the .biz.

•••
.us because .biz sounds very unproffesional, bizzy fo' shizzy... :red:

•••
.us is just more appealing to me.

•••
mole said:
.BIZ is like wasabe, it gets up your nose, but gives the fish a nice twang. After a while, you learn not to breath in the sucker, and enjoy the taste.

• Go for Mole’s wasabe BIZ if your domain portfolio is uncooked dead fish in pressed rice or

• Go for Victoria’s US if your domain portfolio sales are flat.

•••
prefer .biz cuz the registration of .biz is less restricted than .us

•••
droplister said:
.us because .biz sounds very unproffesional, bizzy fo' shizzy... :red:

I know the feeling, I used to feel .org sounded like organ or orgasm

.com sounded like a executable file I had in my DOS OS.

.net did it for me :D

•••
I actually have to say, depends on the name. If you find a good name that fits the .biz extension than that would be the better choice, or vice versa.

•••
I have a preference for .us for general purposes. biz names are great for businesses.

•••
If you run a business, I suppose a .biz domain will be perfectly suitable. Otherwise, its weird. I think .us is short and sweet, but then again, if you're not an American, a .us domain just won't fit.

I totally prefer .net, so you can call my opinion bias.

•••
Coastalguy said:
Some good names (IMO) are available in both the .biz and .us extensions.
If its a truly good name get in both extensions...no brainer here. On one hand, as Mole pointed out .biz is global...but on the other, .us is not just limited to "business" like .biz (which some would argue is geared towards even more specialized area of "B2B") ....it is the perfect tld for anything having primary focus within the US and like its said before, its a huge market/community to cater to.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back