IT.COM

Nissan.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
OK guys.. this is something thats been buggin me for a long time. Long before I got into the net.

Nissan sued this guy, Uzi Nissan for the domain name Nissan.com

go to the website and he has more info and the such as to what happened. Im just looking for your feedback seeing your all as close to professional Domain people as Ive found :)

www.Nissan.com

here is the link to the story

http://www.ncchelp.org/The_Story/the_story.htm

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have been following that off and on for some time now. It is a a complete joke on the part of nissan motors. They are not suing a everyday joe with no reason to hold such a name. They are not only suing a guy who holds the last name of nissan but also has owned a computer company buy the same name for along time . there is more info here if anyone wants to read it http://www.ncchelp.org/

•••
I know the story, but why is this in the Expired Domains forum

•••
because im stupid lol.

Sorry.. but I dont know how to move it.

•••
•••
I think nissan motors have no right to it, his last name is nissan for goodness sake.

•••
there are several cases like this in which the names of people and the companies are the same..

I can't remember it now..

•••
He cant even have links to sites that have advertisments.... that doesn't seem right at all.

•••
That is retarded. As long as he didn't do anything wrong, Nissan should have just simply contacted him about this. Not go ahead and just sue him becuase he felt like using his OWN NAME in his domain name. Doesn't make any logical sense to me...

•••
Originally posted by x3knet
That is retarded. As long as he didn't do anything wrong, Nissan should have just simply contacted him about this. Not go ahead and just sue him becuase he felt like using his OWN NAME in his domain name. Doesn't make any logical sense to me...

They did contact him... he ignored it....

•••
Ahhh, Now I get it. But, if he ignored it, how come the government got involved and now has to keep his site non-commercial?

•••
•••
Originally posted by x3knet
Ahhh, Now I get it. But, if he ignored it, how come the government got involved and now has to keep his site non-commercial?

Because he's getting sued...

•••
Any further updates on this case ... since March/April 2003?
Thanks.

PS. I own a Pathfinder LX. :o
http://www.nissanusa.com

•••
So? I don't think he minds just having the site like that. Nissan will pay huge bucks for it sooner or later

He must be getting mad traffic with over 34.000 on overture WITH extension

•••
some great traffic on that domain... if he could only monetize it....

•••
I think.. I believe leghally he could transfer the name Nissan.com to someone for reg cost (cause he cant legally sell it) in paperwork only (read: name only) to a person/persons make Nissan spend all that money again on a lawsuit.

imagine the money he could make

This is exactly the reason why I dont/wont buy Japanese. To them it seems the war never ended. How can you say your a pro American company and do this to Americans?

F Nissan.. never a dime from me.
But Uzi.. indeed.. this message is being written on one of his PC's.

•••
Nissan has no right indeed.

Which Nissan?:)

•••
similar is case with sedo.com. However sedo haven't sued the guy sofar:)I mean sedo.com is used by some guy name sedo and not the sedo which we know

•••
I followed this story, the guy is right nissan motors is wrong. Waste of Court time. They should go worry about building better cars than chasing this guy

•••
Originally posted by LeeRyder
This is exactly the reason why I dont/wont buy Japanese. To them it seems the war never ended. How can you say your a pro American company and do this to Americans?

If anyone dose not think that an American company would do this, you are out of your mind!

Ex:
Ford Exploere & Pinto!

Enron & Arthur Andersen

Dynegy(Attempted to purchase Enron, only eight billion dollars in debt)

Edison Power (California Energy crisis)

WorldCom

ImClone Systems

Adelphia Communications (I can add better than that!)

Shall I go on????? Did not think so!

I am quite sure nearly every American in the forum has been effected, as well as, those throughout the rest of the world.

I worked for "Corporate America" (a corp. that each of you definitely know and likely use regularly) for 12years before starting my own business and saw it in daily practices and policies. This included offenses against employees and the public.

I am not defending Nissan by any means! I agree, the suit is a joke. I just think we must keep in mind that this happens everywhere.

If you get a chance read:

CORPORATE CORRUPTION
THE ABUSE OF POWER
By MARSHALL B. CLINARD

•••
I hate how people/companies with money feel that they take preference over the little guys.

•••
The guy's name is nissan so he should be able to use nissan.com that's as simple as it gets for me. Corporate lawyer games should not force anyone to dump a domain that is his real name.

More power to Mr Nissan.

Dave

Last edited:
•••
I wrote Nissan this:

To whom it may concern:

Just an email to let you know I will not be purchasing the 2004 Maxima that I had had may heart set on. I first went to maxima.com to find information, then I said, OK not their site. So I searched for Nissan, came up with Nissan.com and NissanUSA.com. Now it was obvious which site was yours, and it was also obvious to me which site has been trampled by corporate terrorism. I had enough reservations about buying a Japanese car, sending my hard-earned US dollar out of the country. Now I will not purchase a Nissan, now or ever.

The actions of Nissan against this man and his computer company are disgusting. I'm sure your business hasn't been affected one single bit by the fact that you don't own nissan.com. Actually, I bet it has because people find out what a worthless, dishonorable company Nissan really is. I'm passing the information to my friends, and I've got a few letters to the media to write. Ever heard of Tom Brokaw, from Yankton, South Dakota? I bet you have if you watch the evening news. Used to live right down the street from me. Think I'll send him a little note.

Any response to this letter would be greatly appreciated. Also, please do not waste my time with a general "canned" response.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Terry Hall
Yankton, South Dakota

Received this reply. (And I'm still not buying the Maxima.)

Dear Terry Hall,

Thank you for taking the time to write and express your opinion.

Nissan values you as our customer, thus we would like to share with you the true facts of the case.

As this case is pending litigation we cannot provide extensive comment. Briefly, however, we believe that Nissan Computer Corporation is improperly exploiting consumer confusion for its own benefit and creating ill-will among Nissan?s actual and potential customers. For example, NCC had been linking non-Nissan automotive advertising in its Nissan.com website, which understandably concerned Nissan due to the customer confusion it created.

The Federal District Court agreed with Nissan?s position and ordered a Preliminary Injunction that, among other things, ordered NCC to remove all auto-related links from its website. The United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit affirmed this ruling and held that "NCC clearly altered its website so as to capitalize on the "initial interest confusion" of consumers who visited the websites looking for [Nissan's] products."

More recently, the Federal District Court found that NCC had infringed the NISSAN trademark and stated: "..., the Court finds that the defendant's alteration of the "nissan.com" website in August 1999 to display auto-related advertising and information, indisputably leads to the inference that [NCC] possessed the intent to confuse consumers." (emphasis added.) NCC's effort to cast itself as the victim here is an illusion.

It is our position that NCC set out to profit by confusing consumers. Nissan had no choice but to act to stop NCC's intentional exploitation of consumer confusion and two courts have agreed with Nissan on this point. Now, having been at least partially prevented from confusing consumers for profit, NCC is attempting to disparage Nissan, and has altered its website in support of this effort.

Nissan is confident that its consumers will see through this disturbing effort, which has nothing to do with the very high quality automobiles that Nissan is very proud of delivering to its customers throughout the US and the world. Nissan plans to continue delivering quality products, acting to eliminate consumer confusion to the greatest extent possible, and insuring that consumers looking for Nissan, the automaker, know where to find us.

We hope that this information has helped, but if you need any additional information or have further questions, please let us know by reply e-mail or by calling 1-800-647-7263 and pressing "0" for a live operator.

At Nissan, we are committed to a high level of customer service.

Sincerely,

Nissan North America

NCC infringes upon the Nissan trademark??? They should sue Uzi again and force him to change his last name too! :lol: "NCC is attempting to disparage Nissan, and has altered its website in support of this effort." Visit http://nissan.com and see if they've done that. Nissan Motors has lost 110% of the respect I ever had for it.

•••
I agree he should get to keep the name but you have to take a look at where Nissan is coming from.

If Uzi was only using the site to sell his goods and services there would be no case for Nissan Motors. However, because he was using the Nissan name to sell (or link to places that sell) automotive vehicles and equipment he was intentionally misleading the public and taking advantage of Nissan Motors 'fame'.

I do feel that the ruling is injust. What should've been done is a ban on advertising or linking to sites that sell automotive vehicles, parts, etc. Thus, eliminating the confusion.

Nissan has a point, but there point isn't strong enough to justify taking away the Nissan.com domain - it is strong enough to ban advertising for other automotives on his site.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back