IT.COM

3 Char Mixed Letter-Number Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I like the short 3-4 character, mixed letter and number domains that contain commonly used abbreviations, and have created a small portfolio w/ them over the past several months. Of course, the pure 3LLL and 3NNN are limited to 17,576 (26 x 26 x 26) and 1,000 (10x 10 x 10), possibilities, respectively, and overall, have an inherant value, due to the limit on their numbers, and because they are easily remembered. Additionally, the general value of brevity and speed in our increasingly fast paced, "get to the point" world, helps to insure a continued demand for, and increase in value of this name group.

I would suggest that the same logic holds true for mixed 3LN, (and, to a lesser extent 4LN), names, although in the case of 3LN names, the number available in each tld is 46,656 or nearly 30,000 more possible combinations. Of these 46M+ names, however, there are, perhaps only a few thousand that have an associative meaning, and of these, there are significantly fewer that would be considered the cream of the crop. For example, there are 20 possible constructions for the term MD using 0 plus each of the 9 digits: 1MD, MD1, 2MD, MD2, and so on. This leaves 100 possible MD+N combinations in the 5 tld's. Of these, I would value MD1 as the creme de la creme, and would rate 1MD, 4MD, and possibly 2MD as the next names in order of decreasing value. In the case of MD, this means that there are 4 top of the class names or a total of 20 possibilities for the 5 major tld's. The same would hold true for other 2LL abbrevs. including Dr., Mr., Co., ID, DN, RV, CA (and 49 other states), NY, LA,(and several other cities) etc, etc. Other abbrevs, such as TV invite several additional possibilities. My point is, that the public understands the abbreviations, and these names exhibit the same characteristic of limited availability as do their pure LLL and NNN cousins.

A telltale way of determining a name's potential value- one of the acid tests- can be accomplished by observing what is being regged and getting a read on the degree of competition there is for a term or term group. I have been participating in this market for about 6 mos and will share the obvious w/ you: the first terms that are grabbed, as buyers "drop down" to the next tld, are the names that have meaning, and they are taken in roughly the same order of preference that was indicated above- ie. 1) MD1, 2) 1MD, 3)4MD, etc. Additionally, *all* of the 46,656 mixed 3LN .com, approx 2/3 of the .net, and almost all, (if not *all*), of the .net and .org top names in this category are regged.

And did you know that several of these names have a high number of Google links, and that there are even a modest number of searches performed using mixed LN names as search terms?

IMO, this class of names, at present, will require some degree of branding, but I think this is exceptionally good material for branding, w/ some built-in benefits: (Note- I'm pretty sure I don't own any of these particular names, but I have similar ones -and some that are better-hehe): Dr1.us, 4MD.info, RV1.biz, OS1.net, We3.biz, 4Mr.org 4NY.info, RX1.us, 2RX.biz, CA1.us and so on ... They all hint at what to expect, are frequently used and easily recognizable abbrevs, and they suggest an action and/or imply a value. They also have the inherrant qualities, benefits (and the pad) of being 3 character domain names.names

Enough of my apologetic for mixed 3LN names containing common abbrevs. If you have read this far, you probably are interested in the subject and have some comments. Would like to hear your thoughts about this.

Incidentally, I plan on devoting a sales and info site exclusively to 3 character names, using the extremely creative domain name of 3Characters.com. (After I get beyond my current phpmysql mental block -Grr). Will probably be open this Fall- will announce when it is imminently close to opening.
:blink:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
nice facts grilla, and also 3 characters.com is a great name, and you should check to see if you could acquire 3chars.com to go along with it :)
Also, me and another np member are working on a big site currently and will also announce it once it's soon launched

•••
very very nice post one of the best. when i see posts like this one...i am very happy to be part of this forum.

adi

•••
you should check to see if you could acquire 3chars.com to go along with it
I had checked that before, I went back to double check and, alas, it is still taken. But TX for the suggestion/lead and also TX for the thumbs up for 3Characters.com

very very nice post one of the best. when i see posts like this one...i am very happy to be part of this forum.

adi

You are too kind. But, ah gee, I appreciate it. :red: :blink: :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back