Impact
What Order Do you rate TLD's ?

We all want .com's - Obviously -

.net
.org
.info
.biz
.us

Which one's have investment worth - especially one word dictionary words with overture listings -

Thanks - All4Cost :]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think it's really hard to "rank" them without the base domains ... depends on the words, IMHO. For instance, I really like "Regional" domains in the .INFO and .ORG ... and some recent Sales data support at least one of these as decent "investment worth".
GENERALLY ... and without knowing the exact dictionary word(s) ... I would say:
1.) .NET
2.) .INFO / .ORG
3.) .BIZ / .US

But with an exact dictionary word, context these "rankings" could change, in my view. Also, how many Overture numbers?
B-)

•••
.com
.net
.org
.info
.biz
.us

•••
com
.net
.org
.info
.us
.biz

•••
Agreed with Coolhost, it is quite hard to determine without knowing the name itself.
Generally, I would rate them as follow:
.net
.org
.info
.us

•••
•••
•••
1 - COM
2 - NET/INFO (depending on use and fit to the TLD)
3 - BIZ/US (Biz if business related in a very broad market, us if used as a nice generic)
4 - ORG (when used for an organization, personal, places, or plain keyword use).

I agree, it's not a cut and dried decision. some names work better in certain TLD's.

•••
My take, based on the available data and watching the domain market over last 4-5 years, is as follows:

1......com (we all know why its "the king"...may not be the best tld for investment purposes; carries much higher risk given its acquisition cost)

2......info (broadest application; almost suits any word/term; probably best for investment; has the potential for even greater ROI than .com simply because the latter has already hit its peak)

3.....org/net (a tie here....depending on the suitability with the word/term on the left of the dot and the intended use)

4. .biz (rising from its infancy slowly but surely)

5. .us (has definite potential but yet ways to go)

•••
Originally posted by .edu
.com & others
exactly what I think, but he wanted a more thorough list so I gave him my exact opinion :)

•••
lol .... I appreciate it -

I was pretty interested in peoples opinions between info/us/biz etc...

I don't really like anything but .com's - But for one word dictionary terms with any use or purpose it is almost impossible to get now -

Thanks - All4cost

•••
Here is my list:
1. .com Obviously
2 .net
3 .Us
and finally

4 .org

•••
as many of you said before, I think the domain itself is of great importance when rating the tld.

i took the freedom to include a couple of more tld, in my personal rating list.

.com
.se :) (maybe even before .com, depending on the name)
.net
.nu
.org
.info
.us
.biz

•••
Yea - None of us mentioned .name - But , Now - When they went on sale alot of us were right there (I bought 10 - Seemed like a good round #) :)

•••
Sold 700+ names last month. Based on ROI they are:

INFO
US
BIZ
COM
ORG
NET

•••
.nu
.cn
.cc
.name
.ws
.tv, ca
.us, .de, .co.uk
.biz
.info
.org
.net
.com
(in reverse order)

•••
a lot would definitely depend on what the domain was in regards to extensions other than .com. My take would be on a general name:

.com
.org
.info
.net
.biz
.us

•••
com is obviously the most valuable extension. But the only names available in com are generally either worthless or too expensive. Of the other extensions my personal preference, wrt present availability/cost and future investment potential is:

1) co.uk
2) info
3) org/net - depending on term

•••
They all rank the same per importance to their intended use.

If this is a reseller question, then that rank will be influenced by you specifically, no one else - depending whether you have good names in these individuals extensions or crap ones.

•••
The arena for the majority of domain marketers (IMO):

We all would like to have at least a couple of great names in our portfolios. Usually a very tough nut to crack.

Sometimes, through diligence and/or luck, we are able to acquire a good name.

At first blush, we often think we have landed a good name, only to later realize that our ego had been out of balance, or that our projections had been unduly influenced by an overly active imagination on the particular day that we had regd the name.

Our relationship to our name selections evolves as we grow-up, begin to see a larger picture and become more discriminating in the criterium we use- dumping and dropping our once "great" names along the way.

More often than not, due to domain name availability and budgetary constraints, we find ourselves juggling several elements, doing our best to optimize the situation, and working with the range of names that lies somewhere between "good w/ development" (or "kind of good") :tu: and "potential crap".:(

PS If you are like me, some days you might identify w/ the lottery winners and other days you find yourself identifying w/ Sisyphus. Today is closer to a Sisyphus kind of a day for me.

Last edited:
•••
I agree with cyberserf.

com
org
info
net
biz
us

ST

•••
.com
.net
.org
.info
.us
.biz

everyone has the nearly the same opinions :p

•••
Actually, the original question is:

"What Order Do you rate TLD's ?"

That can vary in what you are rating them for.

Ease of selling long term: com
Highest Pricing: com
Most versatile for any use: com/net/info (in that order)
Highest Cost of Acquision: com
Ease of finding good generics: info/us/biz
Return on investment for quick sale: info
International acceptance for "new" TLD: info
Currently Hot: info
Good buys for holding long term: info/biz
Biggest longshots .ws/.cc
Easiest to find unregistered gems: us/biz
Best for small business when there isn't a chance in hell of getting the .com: net/biz/info
Best for non-business organizations: org/info/net (worst - biz)
Lowest acquision cost: biz/us (Enom has been $4.95 lately)
Best for non-english words: com/info/net/org

Personally, Year to date, I've sold more info than anything because I have more "high quality" names in that TLD (one word, 3-letter). I've pretty much quit acquiring .orgs, but will pick up good biz names that have potential BUSINESS use for smaller business. I think non-business biz names are almost worthless since they don't make sense.

I know com is best, but I don't like investing that much in a single name to get them based on what drops are going for these days. I find it's better to buy infos for $8-50 and sell for $100-500 than spend $200 on one com and hold for a long time or sell for $400. I can hold on to a $10 name for a few years without a lot of investment, but a $300 name just sitting there is hard on cash flow. It's also very easy to get people to part with <$300 for the secondary TLD's than for or five figures for coms.

•••
Great Post - Informative -

Thanks

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back